|ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Mechanical Engineering|
- STEVENS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Doctorate of Philosophy May 1998, HOBOKEN, NJ
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Mechanical Engineering (D.Eng.) May 1988 CAMBRIDGE, MA
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY: Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering May 1986, MEDFORD, MA
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering May 1984,N. DARTMOUTH, MA
- Product and marketing management Certification from Lucent Technologies / Wharton Business SchoolMay 2001
- Attended the Sloan School of Management at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Computer Integrated Design and Manufacturing of Electronic Systems, Knowledge-based Engineering Systems, Design Optimization, Liquid Cooling of Electronic Systems, Electromagnetic Interference Shielding, Advanced Electronic Packaging System. Advanced Thermal Management
* Adjunct Professor: Stevens Institute of Technology 1992- Present
* Senior Manger responsible for Wireless’ overall Product Solutions’ roadmaps, including Strategic and Product planning and definition. Lucent Technologies 1988-Present
* Managed various products from concept to manufacture
* Network Wireless Unit- Introduced, designed, and manufactured three generation of wireless products. Participated in the growth of the business from few hundred million to multi- Billion Dollars a year.
* Experienced in design and analysis of System Level, Frame Level, and Pack Level electronic systems.
* Knowledge-based Engineering System- Higher quality and faster production tool. Demonstrated that use of system in design of electronic equipment can save up to two order of magnitudes from time to market.
* Extensive knowledge of operation and production systems
* Directed a team to carry on the Design Concept, Engineering analysis, prototyping and Cell System Requirements for CDMA (and UMTS) wireless systems of a multi-sector, pole-mountable, small and large wireless products, including in-building applications.
Managed a team for Development of Shielding Technologies and guidelines. This led to higher quality and higher reliability products.
* Managed a team for Development of noise reduction techniques in electronic systems, with implication for all Lucent Technologies. This led to higher customer satisfaction.
* Introduction of Liquid Cooling technique in design of electronic systems.
* Power conversion technology, (Forward looking environment (Bell Labs research)). Responsible for investigation of high power density and efficiency Off-line Switchers and DC-DC power converters.
Developed the following courses:
Integrated System design and manufacturing of Electronic systems, Reliability Engineering:
Taught courses in Production Systems, Manufacturing Processes, Concurrent Design and Manufacturing, Introduction to Robotics, Computer Integrated Design and Manufacturing, System Design of Electronic Equipment, Computer Numerical Control, and Fluid Mechanics.
1. Voting member of American Society of Acoustics. Developing standards for noise measurements and limits for various electronic equipment, 1997-2002.
2. Member of the Research Committee on Reliability of Photonics Systems part of ASME Center for Research and Technology Development, since 2000.
3. Co-chaired the Design session of the Mechatronics conference in Atlanta, GA (2000).
4. Member of Tau-Beta-Pi, National Engineering Honor Society.
Honors & Awards
1. Recipient of Quality Excellence Award at Lucent Technologies (Bell Laboratories):
1.1 2002, 2003, and 2004 Lucent President Golden Award for product development and cost reduction Base Stations.
1.2 1997 Network Systems Quality Golden Thread Award (1997).
1.3 GSM Golden Quality Award for design of STF (GSM)- Network Wireless Systems (1996).
1.4 1995 Network Wireless Systems Award of Excellence for Snap-in Shield Design (1995).
1.5 Silver Quality Excellent Award for Japan Common Amplifier Design – Network Wireless Systems (1992).
2. Full Graduate Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Mechanical Engineering Departments, Tufts University and MIT.
Patents & Inventions
U.S. and European Patents are granted:
· “Method and apparatus to increase convection heat transfer in an electrical system and a method of manufacturing the same” U.S. Patent Number 6,493,224
· “Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Enclosure", U.S. Patent Number 6,297,969
· "EMI Shielding Enclosure", U.S. Patent Number 6,274,808
· A Method Of Determining The Minimum Number Of Securing Points Required On an Electronic Isolation Shield To Sufficiently Secure The Shield To A Circuit Board", U.S. Patent Number 6,266,877
· “Modular design of electronic equipment systems” US patent number 6,151,210
· “An Electronic Isolation Shield and a Method of Determining the Minimum Number of Securing Points required on the Shield to Sufficiently Secure the Shield to a Circuit Board", US Patent number 6,060,659.
· "Electronic Component Enclosure for RF Shielding", US patent number 5,557,063
· “Thermal Detection Elements”, US patent number 5,550,526
· “Self Fastening EMI Enclosure” US patent number 5,565,656
· “Housing for a wireless base station” US patent number D393,644 Others are pending.
- Mottahed, B.D., Kaytoma, H.. (Nov 17-22, 2002). "Proceedings of IMECE’02: New Orleans, Louisiana", “Cooldown Simulation for the Compact Ignition Tokamack (CIT), Poloidal Field (PF) Coils”.
- Mottahed, B.D.. (May 22, 2000). "50th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, - New Emerging Technologies", “Knowledge-Based Engineering System for Design of Electronic Equipment”.
- Mottahed, B.D., Manoochehri, S.. (May 13, 1997). "2nd Annual Lucent Pro/E User Conference Proceedings", "A Knowledge-Based Engineering System for Integrated Mechanical Design of Electronic Equipment",Holmdel, New Jersey.
- Mottahed, B.D., Manoochehri, S.. (Nov 1994). "1994 ASME Winter Annual Meeting", "Effect of Joint Configuration and Tolerances on Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Effectiveness of Enclosure", ASME, Symposium on Structural Analysis in Microelectronics and Fiber Optics, Chicago, Illinois
- Mottahed, B.D., Manoochehri, S.. "International Symposium on EMC, Sendai '94, Japan", "Effects of Angle of Cut and Gap Size on the Electromagnetic Shielding Effectiveness”. pp. 128-131.
- D. Kalyon, H. Gevgilili, J. Kowalczyk, S. Prickett and C. Murphy. (2006). "“Use of adjustable-gap on-line and off-line slit rheometers for the characterization of the wall slip and shear viscosity behavior of energetic formulations”", Journal of Energetic Materials. 24 175-193.
- E. Birinci, H. Gevgilili, D. Kalyon, B. Greenberg, D. Fair and A. Perich. (2006). "“Rheological characterization of nitrocellulose gels”", Journal of Energetic Materials. 24 247-269.
- Mottahed, B.D.. (2000). "Journal of Polymer Engineering & Science", “Enhanced Shielding Effectiveness of Polymer Matrix Composites Enclosures Utilizing Constraint-Based Optimization”. Vol. 40 (n. 1), pp. 6169.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (1997). "Journal of Polymer Engineering & Science", "Investigation of Composite Materials Selection and Joint Layout Design to Enhance EMI Shielding of Electronic Equipment". Vol. 37 (No.3), pp. 653-666.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (1997). "Journal of Applied Polymer science", “Material and Geometry Factors in Joint Design of Electronic Equipment to Minimize Electromagnetic Interference”. Vol. 64 pp. 1667-1679.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Molki, M.. (1996). "International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer", ”Artificial Roughness effects on Turbulent transfer Coefficients in the Entrance Region of Circular Tube”. Vol 39 (No. 12), pp. 2515-2523.
- Mottahed, B.D.. (Nov 2000). "IEEE Transaction on Advanced Packaging", “Optimal Design of Electronic System Utilizing Multi-Disciplinary Process”. Vol. 23 (No. 04), pp. 699-707.
- Mottahed, B.D., Manoochehri, S.. (Sep 6-8, 2000). "7th Mechatronics Forum ", “An Integrated Multi-disciplinary Optimization Approach to Design of Electronic System”.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (1999). "Polymer-Plastic Technology and Engineering,Marcel Dekker Inc.", “Design Considerations for Electronic Enclosures Utilizing Polymeric Materials”,. Vol 38 (No 5), pp. 883-925.
- Mottahed, B.D., Cercioglu. N.. (Dec 1999). "Poly’99-Polymeric materials for Microelectronics & Photonics Applications: Mechanics, Physics, Reliability and Processing", “Design and Selection of Polymer Composites and Joint Configuration for Enhancement of EMI Shielding in Electronic Packaging”.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (Feb 1996). "IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology (CPMT)-Advanced Packaging", Joint Design Methodology Based on the Electromagnetic Shielding Capabilities”. Vol. 19 (No.1), pp. 238-247.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (1995). "Polymer-Plastic Technology and Engineering", "A Review of Research in Materials and Simulation, Design factors, and Testing and Measurements Related to Electromagnetic Interference Shielding". Vol. 34 (No. 2), pp. 271-346.
- Mottahed, B.D., and Manoochehri, S.. (Feb 1995). "IEICE Transaction on Communications", "Electromagnetic Shielding Effectiveness: Effects Due to Gap Size and Angle of Cut". Vol. E78-B (No. 2), pp. 207-211.