The name of the organization shall be The Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
The purpose of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians is to stimulate the interest in mathematics and promote understanding of the significance of mathematics in society. Our members will speak about topics in mathematics to improve the understanding of the methods and applications of the field. The Stevens Society of Mathematicians will establish communication with the other academic organizations on campus and professional mathematics societies.
All graduate students and mathematics students at Stevens Institute of Technology are eligible for membership in the Stevens Society of Mathematicians. Any member in good standing with good attendance shall be considered a voting member.
There shall be an executive board consisting of no fewer than four officers. These officers shall include a president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary.
- The president shall preside over all meetings of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians, both public and private.
- The president shall be the official representative of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians in all student, faculty and administrative matters.
- The president shall have the power to call regular and special meetings of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- The president shall have the power to form committees and to appoint their respective chairpersons.
- The president shall perform or delegaste all duties not specifically outlines in this constitution, as required by the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- The vice-president shall assume all responsibilities of the president in his or her absence.
- The vice-president shall perform all duties as assigned to him or her by the president.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for and maintain the records of all financial matters of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- The treasurer shall perform all duties assigned to him or her by the president.
- The secretary shall be responsible for all correspondence of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- The secretary shall take minutes of all meetings.
Procedures specifically defined in this constitution shall be adapted from the latest publication of Robert's Rules of Order.
Section I: Integration . The bylaws of this constitution shall be valid for intents and purposes as part of this constitution, save that they require only a majority vote to pass, suspend, or negate.
Section II: Limitation . No bylaw shall supercede or be inconsistent with this constitution.
Section III: Approval . All bylaws shall exist within the sufferance of the Student Life Office. If at any time the Student Life office finds them inappropriate it may require them to be changed or negated.
This constitution shall become effective upon the approval of:
- Any existing orgainzation bearing the name of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- Any existing Graduate Organization having the same stated purpose as the Stevens Society of Mathematicians.
- The Student Life Office.
The approval of this constitution of the Stevens Society of Mathematicians shall abolish all previously existing constitutions for the governance of title and purpose.