Professor Adeniyi Lawal
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science|
|Program: Materials Science / Chemical Engineering / Nanotechnology|
|Research Center: New Jersey Center for MicroChemical Systems (NJCMCS)|
McGill University Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, 1985
Massachusetts Institute of Technology S.M. in Chemical Engineering, 1982
University of Ibadan, Nigeria B.Sc. Honors in Engineering, 1978
Research interests include mathematical modeling of transport processes, and development of 3-dimensional finite element method based codes for simulation of flow, heat, and mass transfer in complex geometries, polymer processing, and rheological characterization of complex fluids. Strong research background in experimental fluid flow, heat and mass transfer, and surface characterization of materials including contact angle measurement, determination of interfacial/surface tension, and interfacial stability on solid substrates. His current research focus is on developing an understanding of the role of complex surface effects in transport phenomena in micro- configurations, utilizing his prior experience in transport processes in macro- configurations as a platform. Some of the FEM codes he developed have been used to design successfully processing equipment for composite energetic materials for the US Army, and the Navy. Philips Netherlands, the GAF Materials Corporation, and the Petroleum Research Fund have also funded his research work.
- Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2005 - present
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1998 - 2005
- Research Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1992 - 1998
- Senior Research Associate/Research Associate, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1990 - 1992
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1988 - 1990
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1985 - 1988
Honors & Awards
- Dean's Honors List, McGill University Ph.D. thesis
- Stevens Alexander Crombie Humphreys Award for Outstanding Teaching (2000)
- Technical Editor, Proceedings of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers AGM 1987
- NSERC Fellowship Award of Canada, 1990
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, US Chapter
- John T. Adeosun and Adeniyi Lawal. (2009). "Numerical and Experimental Studies of Mixing Characteristics in a T-junction Microchannel Using Residence-time Distribution", Chemical Engineerinf Science. 64 2422-2432.
- John T. Adeosun and Adeniyi Lawal. (2009). "Numerical and Experimental Mixing Studies in a MEMS-based Multilaminated/Elongational Flow Micromixer", Sensors and Actuators B. 139 637-647.
- Yury Voloshin and Adeniyi Lawal. (2009). "Kinetics of Hydrogen Peroxide Reduction by Hydrogen in a Microreactor", Applied Catalysis A: General. 353 9-16.
- Yury Voloshin, James Manganaro and Adeniyi Lawal. (2008). "Kinetics and Mechanism of Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide over Pd/SiO2 Catalyst", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.. 47 8119-8125.
- Sunitha Tadepalli and Adeniyi Lawal. (2008). "The Catalytic Hydrogenation of Aromatic NitroKetone in a Microreactor: Reactor Performance and Kinetic Studies", International Journal of Chemical Rector Engineering. 6 A112.
- Y. Voloshin and A. Lawal. (2007). "Kinetics of Hydrogen Peroxide Synthesis by Direct Combination of H2 and O2 in a Micro-reactor", Catalysis Today, 125 40-47.
- S. Tadepalli, D. Qian and A. Lawal. (2007). "Comparison of Performance of Micro-reactor and Semi-batch Reactor for Catalytic Hydrogenation of o-Nitroanisole", Catalysis Today, 125 64-73.
- R. Halder and A. Lawal. (2007). "Experimental Study on Hydrogenation of Anthraquinone Derivative in a Micro-reactor", Catalysis Today, 125 48-55.
- R. Halder, A. Lawal and R. Damavarapu. (2007). "Nitration of Toluene in a Micro-reactor", Catalysis Today, 125 74-80.
- S. Tadepalli, R. Halder and A. Lawal. (2007). "Catalytic Hydrogenation of o-Nitroanisole in a Micro-reactor: Reactor Performance and Kinetic Studies", Chemical Engineering Science, 62 2663-2678.
- D. Qian and A. Lawal. (2006). "Numerical Study on Gas and Liquid Slugs for Taylor Flow in a T-junction Microchannel", Chemical Engineering Science, 61 7609-7625.
- J. Adeosun and A. Lawal. (2005). "Mass Transfer Enhancement in Micro-channel Reactors by Re-orientation of Fluid Interfaces and Stretching", Sensors and Actuators B, 110 101-111.
- CHE 210 Process Analysis
- CHE 332 Separation Operations
- CHE 423 Engineering Design VII
- CHE 424 Engineering Design VIII
- CHE 672 Processing of Polymers for Biomedical Applications