Dr. Yong Shi
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Mechanical Engineering|
|Program: Nanotechnology / Mechanical Engineering|
|Laboratory: Active Nanomaterials & Devices Lab|
- Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004
- M.S. in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
- B.Eng. in Composite Materials, National University of Defense Technology, P.R. China, 1985
- Active nanostructures such as nanofibers, nanotubes and nanojunctions
- Mechanical, thermal, solar, and chemical energy scavenging
- Novel actuation and sensing technologies for biomedical and structural health monitoring applications
- Power, biomedical, RF and optical MEMS/NEMS design and fabrication
- Experimental micro/nano mechanics and electromechanical coupling
- 09/11-present Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 09/04-08/11 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1/97-08/98 Vice Director/Director of the composites department, Beijing spacecraft, P. R. China
- 03/96-12/96 Sinosat satellite platform coordinator, Aerospatial, Cannes, France
- 08/85-02/96 satellite engineer/director engineer, Beijing Spacecraft, P. R. China
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Committee
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Graduate Committee
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory Committee
- National Science Foundation, 2009
- National Science Foundation, 2008
- National Science Foundation, 2007
- Basic Energy Sciences for the Department of Energy, 2007
- National Science Foundation, 2006
- Science, J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Nanotechnology, Smart Materials and Structures, Measurement Science and Technology, Composite Science and Technology
- Symposium on Applied Mechanics, Friction and Tribology of MEMS/NEMS, The ASME 3rd International Conference on Micro-and Nanosystem, San Diego, CA, 2009
- Symposium on Applied Mechanics, Friction and Tribology of MEMS/NEMS, The ASME 2nd International Conference on Micro-and Nanosystem, Brooklyn, NY, 2008
- ASME Nano Bootcamp, University of Minnesota, 2006
- NSF Proposal Writing Workshop, George Washington University, 2006
- Training on Proposal Writing, Rutgers University, 2007
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of 2007 ANST fellowships
- Best Young Researcher Award, Chinese Academy of Space Technology, P. R. China, 1993
- R&D Award from the National Defense Science and Technology Committee, “Development of solar panel substrate and yoke for China-Bazil earth resources satellite,” P.R. China, 1998
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- IEEE Member
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Member
- Sigma Xi
Patents & Inventions
US-2009-0056094-A1, “Piezoelectric nanofibers, nanotubes, nanojunctions and nanotrees
- Xi Chen, Shiyou Xu, Nan Yao and Yong Shi. (2010). "1.6 V Nanogenerator for mechanical energy harvesting using PZT nanofibers", Nano Letters, 10 (6), 2133-2137.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi. (2009). "Gas sensing properties of indium tin oxide nanofibers", Sensors & Transducers Journal, 110 (11), 47-55.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi,. "Fabrication and Characterization of Nano AFCís as Acoustic Emission Sensor", Materials Evaluation, 67 (10), 1189-1192.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi. (2009). "Low temperature high sensor response nano gas sensor using ITO nanofibers", Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 143 (1), 71-75.
- Xi.Chen, S. Xu, N. Yao, W. Xu & Y. Shi. (2009). "Potential measurement from a single lead zirconate titanate nanofiber using a nanomanipulator", Applied Physics Letters, 94 253113.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (2009). "Power generation from piezoelectric lead zirconate titanate nanotubes", J. of Physics D: Applied Physics, 42 (5pp), 085301.
- V. R. Challa, M. G. Prasad, Y. Shi, F. T. Fisher. (2008). "A vibration energy harvesting device with bidirectional resonance frequency tenability", Smart Materials and Structures, 17 15-35.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (2006). "Fabrication and mechanical property of nano piezoelectric fibers", Nanotechnology, 17 4497-4501.
- Sang-Gook Kim, Yong Shi, Yongbae Jeon. (Aug 2002). "Design of Micro-photonic Beam Steering Systems", 2002 CIRP Annal, Spain
- Y. Shi, S. Kim. (2001). "Optical Crossconnect Technology Review", Report for Silicon Valley Group Corp.
- Yong Shi, Yin L. (1996). "A New Low Viscosity Long Pot life Filament Winding Resin System", CAST Research Report.
- Y. Shi. (1995). "Advancements in CFRP Satellite Antenna Reflectors in the world", CAST Research Report.
- Y. Shi, Q., Tang. (1992). "Technologies of Composite Materials in Germany", CAST Research Report. 2.
- Yong Shi. "The Development of the Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Stringer Pre-forms for the Central Tube of a Comsat", China Space Science and Technology. 6 (1992).
- Sang-Gook Kim, Yong Shi. "A Self-alignment, Self-cleaning Long Lifecycle MEMS Switch", manuscript in preparation for IEEE Transaction on Journal of MEMS. .
- Yong Shi, Nesbitt W. Hagood. "Theory and Experiments of Actuation Efficiency in Piezo-electrically driven linear and nonlinear systems", Manuscript in preparation for Smart materials and Structures.
- Jinwei Li, Shiyou Xu and Yong Shi,. "TiO2 Nanofibers based dye-sensitized solar cells", Proceedings of the ASME, 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2009, November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA.
- Weihe Xu, Shiyou Xu, Dante Smiriglio, Yong Shi. "Fabrication and Characterization of Thermoelectric Oxide La1-xSrxCoO3 (x~0.05) Nanofibers", Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition
November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Jan 5-8, 2009). "High sensitivity, low operational temperature ITO nano gas sensor with integrated circuits", Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, Shenzheng, China.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Oct 31, 2008). "Electromechanical coupling of PZT nanofibers", Proc. of IMECE200, 2008 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Boston, MA.
- X. Chen, Y. Shi, S. Mangla, M. Zhang. (Aug 3-6, 2008). "Modeling and simulation of a bio-mimetic MEMS actuator with self-sensing for thrombus retrieving", Proc. of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Brooklyn, NY.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 25-30, 2007). "Energy harvesting from PZT nanofibers", Proc. of the Materials Research Society, Symposium K: Ferroelectrics, Multiferroics, and Magnetoelectrics, Boston, MA.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 11-15, 2007). "Fabrication of ITO nanofibers as gas sensor", Proc. of the 2007 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Seattle, WA.
- Shiyou Xu, Vinod Challa, Y. Shi. (Jan 10-13, 2007). "Characterization of piezoelectric response of PZT nanofibers", Proc. of the Micro Nano China 07, Sanya, Hainan, China.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 1-3, 2006). "Piezoelectric nanofibers and their composites for micro/nano active structures", International Symposium on NanoManufacturing, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Y. Shi, X. Zhang, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 20-22, 2006). "Fabrication and process characterization of piezoelectric nano fiber composites", Proc. of the ASME Multifunctional Nanocomposites International Conference, Honolulu, HI. .
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Apr 17-21, 2006). "Synthesis and characterization of ITO nanofibers by electrospinning", Proc. of the Materials Research Society, Symposium R, San Francisco, CA. .
- Y. Shi, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim, M.Libera. (Nov 28, 2005). "Structural characteristics and piezoelectric properties of electrospun piezoelectric nanofibers", Proc. of the MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium V, Boston, MA.
- Y. Shi, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 14-16, 2005). "Partially aligned piezoelectric nanofibers by sol-gel electrospinning process", Proc. of Nano2005, Integrated Nanosystems: Design, Synthesis and Applications, Berkeley, CA.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 12-16, 2005). "Micro undulated contact surfaces on the contact behavior of a MEMS switch", Proc. of the Word Tribology Congress III, Washington, DC.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Mar 28, 2005). "Critical process issues in the fabrication of a lateral self-cleaning MEMS switch", Proc. of the MRS Spring Meeting, Symposium J, San Francisco, CA.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Jan 30, 2005). "A lateral, self-cleaning, direct contact MEMS switch", Proc. of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Miami Beach, FL.
- Yong Shi, Nesbitt W. Hagood. (Nov 2001). "Actuation Efficiency and Work Flow in Piezo-electrically Driven Systems", ASM/ASME, Adaptive Structures and Materials Systems, New York
- Yong Shi. (1997). "The Structure Subsystem of a New Generation Communication Satellite", The Fifth annual Conference on Satellite Applications, Beijing, China
- Yong Shi. (1994). "Filament Winding Technology of CFRP and Its Application in Chinaís Satellites", Chinese Technology Review Annual Conference, China
- Yong Shi, Meng G.. (1993). "The Development of HS601 Solar Panel Coupons for Hughes", North China Technology Annual Conference, Beijing.
ME 225 Dynamics
ME 423 Engineering Design VII
ME 424 Engineering Design VIII
E 126 Mechanics of Solids
ME 573 Introduction to Microelectromechanical Systems
ME 470 Mechanical Engineering Systems Laboratory