|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Physics and Engineering Physics|
|Program: Physics / Nanotechnology|
PhD - Theoretical Physics, Harvard University, 1964
Advisor: Julian Schwinger
Quantum Field Theoretic Green's Function Methods in Many-Body Problems, Solid State and Surface Physics Correlation Phenomena, Collective Modes in Low Dimensional Systems Quantum Transport Theory for Semiconductor Nanostructures, Superlattices High Magnetic Field PhenomenaSemiconductor Nanostructure DevicesSpintronicsGraphene
- MIT Lincoln Lab & National Magnet Lab, Cambridge, Mass., 1960-1965
- Visiting Lecturer: Cavendish Lab, Cambridge Univ., England, 1965-1966
- Staff Physicist: US Naval Research Lab, Washington, D.C., 1966
- Stevens Inst. of Tech: Assistant, Associate & Full Professor, 1966-Present
- Director, Academic Support Center, Stevens Inst. of Tech., 1987-1993
- Consultant to Dean of Faculty, Stevens Inst. of Tech., 1986-1992
- Elderhostel Coordinator, Stevens Inst. of Tech., 1978-1989
- Chair, Consultant to Graduate Academic Standards Comm. 2007-present
Over 315 peer reviewed publications in physics research journals. A full list of publications is available in the Resume/Bio link found under the photo at the top of the page.
- Consultant US Army Electronics Command, Fort Monmouth, NJ, 1971
- US Naval Research Res. Lab, Semicond Branch, Wash. DC, 1966-1971
- Consultant to NEC Research Inst., Princeton, NJ, 1990-1995
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Research and Course Development to Support Technogenesis Activities
Honors & Awards
Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2006
Henry Morton Distinguished Teaching Professor Award, 2005
Research Recognition Award, Stevens Inst. of Tech, 2004
Advisory Comm., Phys. & Astron. Sect., NY Acad. of Sci., 1988-1989
Jess H. Davis Research Prize, Stevens Inst. of Tech., 1986
M. Engr. (Honorary Degree) Stevens Inst. Tech., Hoboken, NJ, 1982
- Advisor to over 15 PhD Theses in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics at Stevens and 3 PhD Theses in Europe (two at Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, and one at University of Paris, France).
- PhD Thesis Committee Member for many doctoral theses.
- Supervisor of over 10 Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting Scholars at Stevens.
- American Physical Society
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Society of the Sigma Xi: Vice President of Stevens Chapter, 1993
- IEEE, Materials Research Society
- European Physical Society
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- DURINT Program of the ARO 2001-2006: $500,000
- N.J.M. Horing. (2010). "Aspects of the Theory of Graphene", Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Royal Society Publishing Org. ,. A 368 5525-5556 .
- N.J.M. Horing. (2010). "Quantum Effects in Plasma Dielectric Response: Plasmons and Shielding in Normal Systems and Graphene", Eds: M. Bonitz, N.J.M. Horing & P. Ludwig, Introduction to Complex Plasmas (Book), Springer,. 109-132.
- N.J.M. Horing, and S.Y. Liu. (2009). "Green's functions for a graphene sheet and quantum dot in a normal magnetic field", J. Phys. A. (42), 225301 .
- S.Y. Liu, X.L. Lei, N.J.M. Horing. (2008). "Diffusive Transport in Graphene: The Role of Interband Correlation", J. Appl. Phys., 104 043705.
- S.Y. Liu, N.J.M. Horing, & X.L. Lei. (2010). "Dynamic Conductivity of Graphene in a Terahertz AC Electric Field", IEEE Sensors Journal, IEEE. 10 681.
- B. Dong B, H.Y. Fan, X.L. Lei, N.J.M. Horing. (2009). "Counting statistics of tunneling through a single molecule: Effect of distortion and displacement of vibrational potential surface", J. Appl. Phys. . 105 113702.
- N.J.M. Horing, T. Yu. Bagaeva & V.V. Popov. "Excitation of Radiative Polaritons in a 2D Excitonic Layer by a Light Pulse", J. Optical Soc. America, B24, 2428 , AIP (2007).
- N.J.M. Horing & L.Y. Chen. "Inverse Dielectric Function of a Lateral Quantum Wire Superlattice Parallel to the Interface of a Plasma-Like Semiconductor", Phys. Rev. B 74, 195336, AIP (2006) :[Also reprinted in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science of Technology, Dec. 11, 2006].
- N. J. M. Horing, M. L. Glasser & B. Dong. "Dynamic & Statistical Thermodynamic Properties of Electrons in a Thin Quantum Well in a Parallel Magnetic Field", J. Phys. C: Condensed Matter, 18, p. 2573, IOP (2006).
- N. J. M. Horing & L. Y. Chen. "Magneto-Image Effects in the van der Waals Interaction of an Atom and a Bounded Dynamic Nonlocal Plasma-like Medium", Phys. Rev. A66, p. 042905, AIP (2002).
- S.Y. Liu, N.J.M. Horing & X.L. Lei. "Inverse Spin Hall Effect by Spin Injection", Applied Physics Letters 91, 122508, AIP (2007).
- N.J.M. Horing. "Quantum Theory of Electron Gas Plasma Oscillations in a Magnetic Field", Annals of Physics (NY) 31, 1 (1965).
- N.J.M. Horing, M.M. Yildiz. "Quantum-Theory of Longitudional Dielectric Response Properties of a 2-Dimensional Plasma in a Magnetic-Field", Annals of Physics (NY) 97, 216 (1976).
- X. L. Lei, N. J. M. Horing & Hl Cui. "Theory of Negative Differential Conductivity In a Superlattice Miniband", Physical Review Letters 66 (25), 3277, AIP (1991) .
- H.L. Cui, V. Fessatidis & N.J.M. Horing. "Commensurability Oscillations in Magnetoplasmons of a Density-Modulated Two-Dimensional Electron-Gas", Phys. Rev. Lett. 63, 2598, AIP (1989).
- B. Dong, N. J. M. Horing & H. L. Cui. "Inelastic Cotunneling-Induced Decoherence & Relaxation, Charge & Spin Currents in an Interacting Quantum Dot Under a Magnetic Field", Physical Review B72, 165326, AIP (2005); [Also reprinted in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, October 31, 2005].
- B. Dong, N.J.M. Horing and X.L. Lei. "Qubit Measurement by a Quantum Point Contact: a Quantum Langevin Equation Apporach", Phys. Rev. B 74, 033303, AIP (2006): [Also reprinted in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, July 18, 2006; and in the Virtual Journal of Quantum Information, July 2006].
- X. L. Lei and N. J. M. Horing. (1992). "Balance Equation Approach to Hot-Carrier Transport in Semiconductors", Editor C. S. Ting, Physics of Hot Electron Transport in Semiconductors (Book), World Scientific Press, Singapore. 1-132 .
- N. J. M. Horing , H. L. Cui & X. L. Lei. (1992). "Recent Developments in Hot Electron Magnetotransport Theory", Editor C. S. Ting, Physics of Hot Electron Transport in Semiconductors (Book), World Scientific Press, Singapore. 133-169 .
PEP 503 Introduction to Solid State Physics
PEP 111 Mechanics
PEP 112 Electricity and Magnetism
PEP 242 Modern Physics
PEP 331 Electromagnetism
PEP 542 Electromagnetism
PEP 332 Math Methods for Physics
PEP 528 Mathematical Methods of Science and Engineering II
PEP 538 Introduction to Mechanics
PEP 544 Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
PEP 642 Mechanics
PEP 643 Electricity and Magnetism I
PEP 644 Electricity and Magnetism II
PEP 667 Statistical Mechanics
PEP 700 Quantum Electron Physics and Technology Seminar
PEP 754 Advanced Quantum Mechanics
PEP 757 Quantum Field Theory Methods in Statistical and Many-Body Physics
PEP 758 Quantum Statistical Mechanics
PEP 960 Research in Physics (PhD)
PEP 532 Mathematical Methods for Physics
PEP 527 Mathematical Methods of Science and Engineering I