Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
The research focus of our laboratory is bioactive peptides, functional polymers, and their potential pharmaceutical and biomedical applications.
Research topics in this project includes:
- design peptides with desired biological functions
- develop novel peptide delivery method using peptide self-assembly technology
- We have successfully developed several peptides with anti-heparin, anti-cancer, or antibacterial activity
We are interested in smart polymers. Current research topics include:
- develop functional polymers grafted surfaces with good biocompatibility
- synthesize drug selectively bound polymers for drug formulation and delivery
Recent Publications (2007~)
1.TU Z., Volk M., Shah K., Clerkin K, Liang JF., “ Constructing bioactive peptides with pH-dependent activities” Peptides, 2009, in press.
2. Li YT, Kwon YM, Spangrude GJ, Liang JF, Chung HS, Park YJ, Yang VC. “Preliminary in vivo evaluation of the protein transduction domain-modified ATTEMPTS approach in enhancing asparaginase therapy”. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008 Sep 23.
3. Kwon YM, Li Y, Naik S, Liang JF, Huang Y, Park YJ, Yang VC., “The ATTEMPTS delivery systems for macromolecular drugs”. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2008, 5(11):1255-66.
4. Kwon YM, Li YT, Liang JF, Park YJ, Chang LC, Yang VC., “PTD-modified ATTEMPTS system for enhanced asparaginase therapy: A proof-of-concept investigation”. J Controlled Release. 2008,124:672-676
5. Kharidia R, Friedman KA, Liang JF, “Improved Gene Expression Using Low Molecular Weight Peptides Produced from Protamine Sulfate”. Biochemistry (Moscow), 2008, 72:523-529
6. Agresti C, Tu Z, Ng C, Yang Y, Liang JF. “Specific interactions between diphenhydramine and alpha-helical poly(glutamic acid) - A new ion-pairing complex for taste masking and pH-controlled diphenhydramine release”. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008, 231:27-36
7. TuZ, Hao J, Kharidia R, Meng XG, Liang JF. “Improved stability and selectivity of lytic peptides through self-assembly”. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007, 361:712-7
8. Tu Z, Liang JF, “Improved in vitro Membrane Translocation Peptide Assays”, Int. J Biol Chem. 2007, 1: 47-53
9. Hao J, Han M, Liang, JF, et al “Synthesis and characterization of a cross-linkable nonlinear optical polymer functionalized with a thiopheneand tricyanovinyl-containing chromophore”, Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2007, 67:758–768
Graduate student positions are available in our lab. Motivated students who are interested in our above research projects are encouraged to apply. Special consideration will be given to students with majors in Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Organic Chemistry. Applications will be reviewed as they come in, and may also be reviewed after the target date (Sept 30, 2009) if the positions have not been filled.