Dr. Sophia Hassiotis
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering|
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Structures, 1993. Purdue University. Dissertation: Identification of Structural Damage Using Natural Frequencies Advisor: G. D. Jeong
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Geotechnical, 1983. Purdue University. Thesis: Stabilization of Slopes Using Piles Advisor: J. L. Chameau
- B. S. Civil Engineering, 1981. Clemson University. Cum Laude
- Topological optimization of plates; design optimization to reduce vibrations.
- Large scale instrumentation of bridges; design of integral abutment bridges; studies on earth pressures; soil-structure interaction.
- Identification of structural damage using dynamic measurements; structural dynamics.
Xiong Kai, MS (2006). Built up of Passive Pressure Behind Integral Abutment. (UTRC)
Youssef Dehne, MS (2005). Earthquake considerations of continuous bridges. NJDOT
Yasser Khodair, Ph.D. (2004). Testing, Analysis and Design Considerations of the Scotch Road Integral Bridge. NJDOT
Sarath Jayatilleka, MS (1999). Semi-active control of structures using variable stiffness. NSF
Wu Zhongxin, MS (1999). Pull-out strength of concrete-to-concrete connections of bridge footings. Florida DOT
- Associate Professor (1999-present). Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, N.J.
- Assistant Professor (1993-1999). University of South Florida, Tampa, FL.
- NASA Faculty-Fellowship, (Summer, 1998).
- Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia.
- Air Force Faculty-Fellowship, (Summer, 1997). Kelly Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
- Research Assistant (1987-1993). Purdue University.
- Research Engineer (1983-1987). AppliedResearch Associates, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Research Assistant (1981-1983). Purdue University.
- CFO Search Committee (Fall, 2000);
- Committee on Committees (2000-2002, Chair 2002);
- Undergraduate Academic Standards Committee (Spring 2002-4);
- Undergraduate Promotions Committee (2001-3);
- Appeals Committee (2005-2012)
College and Department:
- Civil engineering program director (2009-present)
- Numerous Faculty Search Committees
- Undergraduate and Graduate Program Assessment Committee (Fall 2000-present)
- School P&T (2011,2012)
- School Graduate Curriculum Committee(2012-present)
Reviewer for: National Science Foundation; The Greek Ministry of Education (July, 2002); ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics; ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, International Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics; Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering; Second World Congress of Nonlinear Analysts, 1996
NCHRP Project 12-72 Panelist --Report 645 "Blast-Resistant Highway Bridges: Design and Detailing Guidelines"
Honors & Awards
• Academic Excellence Scholarship, American Assoc. of Evrytanes (1978, 1979,1980,1981)
• Cum Laude (Clemson University, 1981)
• Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (1981)
• Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (1980)
• Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society (1979)
• NASA Faculty-Fellowship, (Summer, 1998). Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia.
• NASA/ASEE Final Paper Presentation (Summer, 1998) [6 invitations out of 43 research projects]
• Air Force Faculty-Fellowship, (Summer, 1997). Kelly Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
• Research Assistantship with Full Tuition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (1981-1983)
• Research Assistantship with Full Tuition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (1987-1993)
• David Ross Fellowship (Purdue University, 1992-1993)
• Research and Creative Scholarship Award, USF (1994)
- Member of ASCE (since 1977)
- Member of ASEE (since 1993)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (1981)
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (1980)
- Chi Epsilon Engineering Honor Society(1979)
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- Hassiotis, S. (2005) “Data Gathering on Integral Abutment” NJDOT (15,000 NJDOT)
- Hassiotis, S. (2005) “Deformation of Cohesionless Fill due to Cyclic Loading” UTRC (49,999)
- Hassiotis, S. (2005) “Truck Origin-Destination Survey”, Vollmer Associates/ the Port Authority of NYNJ (12,522)
- Hassiotis, S., Berkof, R., Chung, J. (2004). “6th Annual NJDOT Showcase”, NJDOT (30,000)
- Hassiotis, S. (2002) “Evaluation of HPS Girders.” NJDOT (291,565)
- Hassiotis, S. (2000) “Evaluation of Integral Abutments.” NJDOT (317,000)
- Sen, R., Hassiotis, S. and Mullins, G. (1997) "Development of an Alternative Long-Span Bridge." FHWA ($280,000)
- Hassiotis, S. (1996) Faculty International Travel Award, USF (1,500)
- Hassiotis, S. (1994) "Identification and control of Civil Engineering structures." NSF ($18,000)
- Hassiotis, S. (1993) " Assessment of crack-propagation in structures using measurements of natural frequencies." USF ($7,500)
- Khodair, Y.A., Hassiotis, S. (2011). "Rigidity of abutments in integral abutment bridges", Structure and Infrastructure Engineering: Maintenance, Management, Life-Cycle Design, Taylor Francis. 9 (2).
- Hassiotis, S. and Xiong, K. (2007). "Field measurements of passive pressures behind an integral abutment bridge", Jerry DiMaggio and Peter Osborn, 7th FMGM: Field Measurements in Geomechanics, ASCE. 1-12.
- Khodair, Y. A. and Hassiotis, S.. (2007). "Buckling behavior of single pile and pile bent in the Scotch Road Bridge", Geomechanics and Geoengineering, 2 (4).
- Hassiotis, S. and Roman, E.. (Jun 2005). "A survey of current issues on the use of integral abutment bridges", Journal of Bridge Structures. 1 ( 2), 81-101.
- Khodair, Y. A., Hassiotis, S. (2005). "Analysis of soil-pile interaction in integral abutments", Computers and Geotechnics. 32 201-209.
- Hassiotis, S., Gould, S.C.. (2004). "Fracture analysis of the F-5, 15%-spar bolt", Engineering Failure Analysis, 2 (3), 355-360.
- Hassiotis, S.. (2000). "Identification of damage using natural frequencies and Markov Parameters", Computers and Structures, 74 (3), 365-373.
- Hassiotis, S. (1999). "Identification of damage using natural frequencies and system moments", Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 8 (3), 285-297.
- Hassiotis, S., Chameau, J.L., and Gunaratne, M. (1997). "A design method for stabilization of slopes with piles", ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 123 (4), 314-323.
- Hassiotis, S., Grigoriadis, K. (1997). "Damage detection using impulse response", Nonlinear Analysis, 30 (8), 4757-4764.
- Gaver, K., Hassiotis, S. (1996). " Measuring Absorbed Cyclic Energy in Reinforced Concrete Beams.", ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering. 122 (9), 1110-1113.
- Hassiotis, S., Jeong, G.D.. (1995). "Identification of stiffness reductions using natural frequencies.", ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 121 (10), 1106-1113.
- Hassiotis, S. and Jeong G.D. (1993). "Assessment of structural damage from natural frequency measurements", Computers and Structures, 49 (4), 679-691.
- Hassiotis, S. and Roman, E. (May 18-21, 2008). "Data and analysis of girder distribution factors for an HP bridge with integral abutments", International conference of the engineering mechanics institute (EM08). ASCE proceedings.
- Hassiotis, S, Lopez, J.A. and Bermudez, R.. (Mar 16-18, 2005). "Full-Scale Testing of an Integral Abutment Bridge.", Proceedings, FHWA Integral Abutment and Jointless Bridges IAJB 2005. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Hassiotis, S., Roman E. K. and Khodair, Y.. (Dec 16-17, 2004). "Evaluation of High Performance Steel (HPS) Girders with Integral Abutments", 2004 FHWA Steel Bridge Conference, San Antonio, TX.. 125-130.
- Hassiotis, S. and Dehne, Y.. (Jul 16-18, 2003). "Seismic Analysis of Integral Abutment Bridge: Scotch Road I-95 Project.", Proceedings, 16th Annual ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, University of Washington.
- Hassiotis, S. and Khodair, Y.. (Jul 16-18, 2003). "Analysis of Pile-Soil Interaction", Proceedings, 16th Annual ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, University of Washington.
- Hassiotis, S., Roman, E., Khodair, Y.. (2002). "Design Details on Integral Bridges.", Proceedings of the Engineering Mechanics Conference, May, New York.
- Hassiotis, S. and Jayatilleka, S.. (May 21-24, 2000). "A new semi-active control algorithm for vibration suppression in linear, tall, flexible structures.", Proceedings, ASCE, EM2000, 14th Engineering Mechanics Conference, Austin, TX.
- Wu, Z., Mullins, G., Hassiotis, S. (May 21-24, 2000). "Large-scale test and numerical modeling of bond strength of piles embedded in seal slabs.", Proceedings, ASCE, EM2000, 14th Engineering Mechanics Conference, Austin, TX .
- Hassiotis, S. (1999). "Update of the Starship Finite Element Model Using Modal Data.", Proc. SPIE Vol 3727, Proceedings of the IMAC-17, International Modal Analysis Conference and Exposition, Orlando, Florida. 1563-1569.
- Hassiotis, S. (May 17-20, 1998). "Identification of Changes in Structural Parameters Using System Moments.", Proceedings of the 12th Engineering Mechanics Conference, , La Jolla, CA.
- Hassiotis, S. (1997). "Damage detection using impulse response.", 2nd World Congress of Nonlinear Analysis, -- Nonlinear Analysis, Theory, Methods and Applications, Athens, Greece.
- Hassiotis, S. and Grigoriadis, K.M. (Feb 3-6, 1997). "Damage detection in structures using impulse response moments and natural frequencies.", Proc. SPIE, Proceedings of the IMAC-XV, International Modal Analysis Conference and Exposition, Orlando, Florida.. 3089 1110-1116.
- Hassiotis, S. and Grigoriadis, K.M.. (Apr 15-18, 1996). "Identification of Structural Damage.", Proceedings, 1996 ASCE Structures Congress, Chicago, Illinois.. 1107-1114.
- Hassiotis, S. (Aug 08, 1994). "Identification of stiffness reductions and damage.", Proceedings, 1st World Conference on Structural Control, Los Angeles, California.. 1 3-93,102.
- Jeong, * G.D. and Hassiotis, S. (3-5, ). "Structural Damage Estimates from Natural Frequency Measurements.", Proceedings, the 1993 National Earthquake Conference, Earthquake Hazard Reduction in the Central and Eastern United States: A Time for Examination and Action. Memphis, Tennessee.
- CE 486 Structural Steel Design
- CE 345 Modeling and Simulation
- CE 681 Introduction to Finite Element Methods
- CE 519 Advanced Structural Analysis
- CE 623 Structural Dynamics