Dr. Woo Lee
|GEORGE MEADE BOND PROFESSOR, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MATERIAL SCIENCE, DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR MICROCHEMICAL SYSTEMS|
|Building: Burchard Building|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science|
|Program: Materials Science|
|Research Center: New Jersey Center for MicroChemical Systems (NJCMCS) / Center for Healthcare Innovation|
|Laboratory: Woo Lee's Group: Nano-Micro-Bio|
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) - 1990, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S. (Chemical Engineering) - 1987, Auburn University
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) - 1985, University of Maryland
Nanomaterials, Biomaterials, Microfluidics. Prof. Woo Lee’s uses soft-lithography, inkjet and 3D printing, and self-assembly to create new materials and devices. The applications of his research include flexible printed energy storage devices, infection-resistant biomaterials, and human 3D tissue reconstruction for drug development and personalized medicine.
- Professor and Department Director, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Research Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, July 1992 to July 1997
- Research Scientist, United Technologies Research Center, February 1990 to July 1992
Honors & Awards
- Master of Engineering (Honoris Causa): Stevens Institute of Technology, 2008
- Academic Research Award: Printed Electronics USA Conference, 2011.
- Fellow: The American Ceramic Society since 2004.
- Government Panels: NSF-DMR, 2011 and NIH-ISD, 2012
- Member: AAAS, ACerS, Tau Beta Pi, Omega Chi Epsilon
- List of Ph.D. Advisees:
- Prof. Ying Zhang, Tennessee Technological University
- Dr. Gi-Youl Kim, Genus
- Prof. Hao Li, University of Missouri - Columbia
- Dr. Jinil Lee, Samsung Electronics
- Dr. Limin He, Aerospace Materials Research Center, China
- Dr. Yi-Feng Su, Florida State University
- Dr. Haibiao Chen, UES
- Prof. Hongwei Qiu, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Dr. Joung-Hyun “Helen” Lee, Columbia University
- Dr. Andrew Inhen, Naval Air Warfare Center
Patents & Inventions
- U.S. Patent 7238420
- U.S. Patent 6808760
- U.S. Patent 6322889
- U.S. Patent 5843533
- U.S. Patent 5709936
- U.S. Patent 5672420
- U.S. Patent 4920086
- D. Kong, L.T. Le, Y. Li, J.L. Zunino, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Temperature-Dependent Electrical Properties of Graphene Inkjet-Printed on Flexible Materials", Langmuir, (28), 13467−13472.
- A. C. Ihnen, A.M. Petrock, T. Chou, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Organic Nanocomposite Structure Tailored by Controlling Droplet Coalescence during Inkjet Printing", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, (4), 4691−4699.
- H. Qiu, V. Stepanov, T. Chou, A. Surapaneni, A. R. Di Stasio, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). " Single-Step Preparation and Formulation of HMX Nanocrystals", Powder Technology, (226), 235-238.
- X. Chen, Y. Gu, J.-H., Lee, W.Y. Lee, and H. Wang. (2012). "Multifunctional Biomimetic Surfaces for Infection Control and Bone Tissue Formation", European Cells and Materials, (24), 237-248.
- J.-H. Lee, Y. Gu, H. Wang, and W. Y. Lee. (2012). "Microfluidic 3D Bone Tissue Model for High-Throughput Evaluation of Wound-Healing and Infection-Preventing Biomaterials", Biomaterials. (33), 999-1006.
- Y. Gu, X. Chen, J.-H. Lee, D. Monteiro, H. Wang, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Inkjet-Printed Antibiotic- and Calcium-Eluting Bioresorbable Nanocomposite Micropatterns for Orthopaedic Implants", Acta Biomaterialia, (8), 424-431.
- A.C Ihnen, A.M. Petrock, T. Chou, P.J. Samuels, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Crystal Morphology Variation in Inkjet-Printed Organic Materials", Applied Surface Science, (258), 827-833.
- L.T. Le, M.H. Ervin, H. Qiu, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Graphene Supercapacitor Electrodes Fabricated by Inkjet Printing and Thermal Reduction of Graphene Oxide", Electrochemistry Communications, (13), 355-358.
- J.-H. Lee, H. Wang, J.B. Kaplan, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Microfluidic Approach to Create 3D Tissue Models Biofilm Related Infection of Orthopaedic Implants", Tissue Engineering C: Methods, (17), 39-48.
- H. Qiu, T. Chou, V. Stepanov, A. Di Stasio, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "RDX-based Nanocomposite Microparticles for Significantly Reduced Shock Sensitivity", J. of Hazardous Materials, (185), 489-493.
- J.-H. Lee, H. Wang, J.B. Kaplan, and W.Y. Lee. (2010). "Effects of S. epidermidis on Osteoblast Adhesion and Viability on Ti Alloy Surface in Microfluidic Co-Culture Environment", Acta Biomaterialia, (6), 4422-4429.
- A.C. Ihnen, J.-H. Lee, and W.Y. Lee. (2010). "Effects of Disordered Hemispherical Micropatterns on Staphylococcus epidermidis Biofilm Formation", Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, (75), 601-607.
- J.-H. Lee, J. B. Kaplan, and W. Y. Lee. (2008). "Microfluidic devices for studying growth and detachment of Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms", Biomedical Microdevices, 110 489-498.
- Y.-F. Su and W. Y. Lee. (2008). "Synthesis of Dense and Uniform Silicate Coating Microstructure by Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of Yb2O3 and SiO2 Particles", Surface Coating Technology, (202), 3661-3668.
- Y.-F. Su, H. Kim, S. Koven, and W. Y. Lee. (2007). "Continuous Nanoparticle Production by Microfluidic-Based Emulsion, Mixing, and Crystallization", Journal of Solid State Chemistry, (180), 2625-2629.
- P. R. Deduc, M. S. Wong, P. M. Ferreira, R. E. Groff, K. Haslinger, M. P. Koonce, W. Y. Lee, J. C. Love, J. A. McCammon, N.A. Monteiro-Riviere, V. M. Rotello, G. W. Rubloff, R. Westervelt, and M. Yoda. (2007). "Towards an In Vivo Biologically Inspired Nanofactory", Nature Nanotechnology, (2), 3-7 .
- H. Chen and W. Y. Lee. (2007). " Synthesis of Cellular Silica Structure under Microchannel Confinement", J. Am. Ceram. Soc., (90), 36-43 .
- H. Qiu and W. Y. Lee. (2006). " Infiltration and Immobilization of Catalyst Particles into the Confined Space of Microstructured Reactors via Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly", Applied Catalysis A, (314), 200-207 .
- H. Qiu, S. Sukhishvili, and W.Y. Lee. (2006). "Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of Ceramic Particles as a Non-line-of-Sight Technique for Coating Complex Shape Substrates", J. Am. Ceram. Soc, 89 (4), 1180-87 .
- Y.-F Su, H. Chen, and W. Y. Lee. (2005). "Abnormal Grain Growth and Crystallization during Rapid Annealing of Sol-Gel Alumina Thin-film Deposited on Ni-based Superalloy", J. Am. Ceram. Soc, (88), 3235-37 .
- H. Chen, L. Bednarova, R. S. Besser, and W. Y. Lee. (2005). "Surface-Selective Infiltration of Thin-film Catalyst into Microchannel Reactors", Applied Catalysis A, (286), 186-195 .
- H. Qiu, K. Martus, W.Y. Lee, and K. Becker. (2004). "Hydrogen Generation in a Microhollow Cathode Discharge in High-Pressure Ammonia-Argon Gas Mixtures", Int. J. Mass Spectrom, (233), 19-24 .
CHE 342 Heat and Mass Transfer
BME 342 Transport in Biological Systems
MT 602 Principles of Inorganic Materials Synthesis