Dr. Elizabeth Fassman-Beck
|Email: [email protected]|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering|
2002, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, PhD Civil Engineering
1998, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, MSc Civil Engineering
1996, Duke University, Durham, NC, BSE Civil and Environmental Engineering
Research links field monitoring with laboratory development of urban stormwater runoff quantity (hydrologic) and quality (contaminant) control systems, with emphasis on green infrastructure technologies such as living (green) roofs, bioretention, permeable pavement, swales, and floating treatment wetlands.
2002-2004, Consultant: Wright Water Engineers, Denver, Colorado
- Associate Editor: Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment (ASCE)
- Editorial Board Member: Urban Water Journal (Taylor and Francis)
- Elected Member of the Urban Water Resources Research Council Control Group (EWRI/ASCE); Chair, UWRRC Green Roofs Task Committee, Member Permeable Pavement Task Committee
- Elected Member of the Joint Committee on Urban Drainage (JCUD), a limited-membership coordinating committee between the International Water Association and International Association of Hydraulics Research
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Wesley W. Horner Award from ASCE/EWRI for the publication Fassman and Simcock (2012).
- Keynote delivered at the Midatlantic Green Roof Symposium (College Park, MD, 2014).
- Keynote delivered at the Engineers Australia Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium (Sydney, 2012).
- Outstanding Reviewer 2012, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering.
2007-2013, University of Auckland (New Zealand), Senior Lecturer
2004-2007, University of Auckland (New Zealand), Lecturer
2003, University of Colorado at Denver, Honorary Instructor
- Member: International Water Association (IWA)
- Associate Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI)
- Fassman-Beck, E., Hunt, W., Berghage, R., Carpenter, D., Kurtz, T., Stovin, V., Wadzuk, B. "Curve Number and Runoff Coefficients for Extensive Living Roofs", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE. in press.
- Fassman-Beck, E., Wang, S., Simcock, R., Liu, R.. (2015). "Assessing the Effects Assessing the Effects of Bioretentionís Engineered Media Composition and Compaction on Hydraulic Conductivity and Water Holding Capacity", Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, ASCE.
- Borne, K., Fassman-Beck, E., Winston, R., Hunt, W., Tanner, C.. (2015). "Implementation and Maintenance of Floating Treatment Wetlands for Urban Stormwater Management", Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE.
- Azizi, N.S.M., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2015). "An analysis of occupants response to thermal discomfort in green and conventional buildings in New Zealand", Energy and Buildings, 104 (198), 191.
- Azizi, N.S.M., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2015). "Strategies for improving energy saving behaviour in commercial buildings in Malaysia", Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 22 (1), 73-90.
- Borne, K., Fassman-Beck, E., Tanner, C.. (2014). "Floating Treatment Wetland Influences Fate of Metals in Road Stormwater Retention Ponds", Water Research, 1 (48), 430-442.
- Young, R., Zanders, J., Lieberknecht, K., Fassman-Beck, E.. (2014). "A comprehensive typology for mainstreaming urban green infrastructure", Journal of Hydrology doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.05.048, Elsevier. (2014), 2571-2583.
- Mokhtar Azizi, N.S., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2014). "Management Practice to Achieve Energy Efficiency Performance of Green Buildings in New Zealandí", Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 10 (25-39), 1-2.
- Borne, K., Fassman, E., Tanner, C.. (2013). "Stormwater Nitrogen Removal Performance of a Floating Treatment Wetland", Water Science and Technology , 7 (68), 1657-1664.
- Borne, K., Fassman, E.A., Tanner, C.C.. (2013). "Floating Treatment Wetland Retrofit to Improve Stormwater Pond Performance for Sediment, Copper and Zinc", Ecological Engineering, Elsevier. 2013 (54), 173-182.
- Fassman-Beck, E.A., Simcock, R., Voyde, E.A., Hong, Y.S.. (2013). "4 Living Roofs in 3 Locations: Does Configuration Affect Runoff Mitigation?", Journal of Hydrology , Elsevier. 2013 (490), 11-20.
- Olorunkiya, J., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E., Stuart, D.. (2013). "Eliciting Stakeholdersí Preferences for Low Impact Design Incentive: A Conjoint Analysis Approach", Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction.
- Fassman, E.A.. (2012). "Stormwater BMP Treatment Performance Variability for Sediment and Heavy Metals", Separation and Purification Technology , 2012 (84), 95-103.
- Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R.. (2012). "Moisture Measurements as Performance Criteria for Extensive Living Roof Substrates", Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE. 8 (138), 841-851.
- Mokhtar-Azizi, N.S., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E., Che Ani, A.I.. (2012). "Management Practice to Achieve Energy Efficiency Performance: Green versus Conventional Office Building in Malaysia", Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)LA.1943-4170.0000115.
- Olorunkiya, J. Fassman, E., Wilkinson, S.. (2012). "Risk: A Fundamental Barrier to the Implementation of Low Impact Design Infrastructure for Urban Stormwater Control.", Journal of Sustainable Development (Canada), 9 (5), 27-41.
- Fassman, E.A., Blackbourn, S.. (2011). "Runoff Water Quality Mitigation by Permeable Pavement", Journal of Irrigation and Drainage, ASCE. 11 (137), 720-729.
- Fassman, E.A., Blackbourn, S.. (2010). "Urban Runoff Mitigation by a Permeable Pavement System over Impermeable Soils", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE. 6 (15), 475-485.
- Voyde, E.A., Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R., Wells, J.. (2010). "Quantifying Evapotranspiration Rates for New Zealand Green Roofs", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering , ASCE. 6 (15), 395-403.
- Voyde, E.A., Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R.. (2010). "Hydrology of an Extensive Living Roof under Sub-Tropical Climate Conditions in Auckland, New Zealand", Journal of Hydrology, Elsevier. 2010 (394), 384-395.
- Roehr, D. and Fassman-Beck, E.. (Mar 2015). Living Roofs in Integrated Urban Water Systems, Routledge. 2015.
- CE 304 Water Resources Engineering
- CE 525 Engineering Hydrology
- CE 535 Stormwater Management