Dr. Richard Fortier
|Phone: (978) 369-6303|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Mechanical Engineering|
|Program: Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Engineering / Mechanical Engineering|
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, 1972
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University, 1996
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1965
Richard Fortier is an Adjunct Professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Schaefer School of Engineering & Science. Richard has more than 26 years of experience in R&D and product development. This experience spans medical devices, automation systems and special machinery, nuclear power plant design, aerospace guidance systems and academia. Richard’s most recent position in industry has been that of Chief Technology Officer with TDC Medical, a privately held full service provider of medical device design, product development and manufacturing. He is presently a consultant for the company.
He has worked on and directed medical device programs in many areas, including gastrointestinal, vascular, cardiology and orthopedics, and he holds several U.S and foreign device patents in these areas. Before joining TDC Medical, he was Senior Director of Product Development at MediSpectra, a venture backed company, where he led the development of a non-contact optical instrument for the detection of cervical cancer. Prior to this, Richard was Engineering Director & Director of New Product Development at MedSource Technologies (previously ACT Medical), another full service provider of medical device development.
Preceding ACT Medical, Richard was Vice President of Engineering for AXIS USA, where he played a pivotal role in starting this division of an Italian parent company and led the development of sophisticated automation systems. Other positions include Director of Mechanical Engineering at Cabot Corporation’s Engineering Division, Sr. Mechanical Engineer at Stone & Webster, Research Associate at AC Electronics Division of General Motors, Adjunct Professor at Northeastern University and Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth.
Richard holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Northeastern University, a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Columbia University and a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in Massachusetts.
- 2005-2010, Chief Technology Officer, TDC Medical, Marlborough, MA
- 2002-2005, Senior Director, Product Development, Medispectra, Lexington, MA
- 2001-2002, Director, New Product Development, MedSource Technologies, Newton, MA
- 1994-2001, Engineering Director, ACT Medical, Newton, MA
- 1990-1994, Vice President, Engineering, AXIS USA, Marlborough, MA
- Registered Professional Engineer (Massachusetts)
- Publications in Journal of Applied Mechanics, AIAA Journal, International Journal of Solids and Structures
- Electrical Manufacturing & Coil Winding and Appliance
- Medical Device & Manufacturing
Patents & Inventions
- Surgical Instrument, W. Lee, A. Chamorro, R.C. Fortier, No. 8,105,350, January 31, 2012
- Surgical Instrument, W. Lee, A. Chamorro, R.C. Fortier, No.7,708,758 B2, May 4, 2010.
- Embolic Deflection Device, J.T. Carpenter, R.C. Fortier, et al, Application No. 12/685,591, January 11, 2010.
- Methods of Diverting Embolic Debris Away from the Cerebral Circulation, J.T. Carpenter, R.C. Fortier, et al, Application No. 12/685,560, January 11, 2010.
- Methods of Deploying and Retrieving an Embolic Diversion Device, J.T. Carpenter, R.C. Fortier, et al, Application No. 12/685,539, January 11, 2010.
- Improved Cutting Assembly for Use in a Laparoscopic Cutting Instrument, R.C. Fortier, R. Wisdom, Application No. 61/053,136, May 14, 2008.
- Single Flange Sleeve Anchoring Device, A. Levine, R. Fortier, et al, Application No. 60/905,203, March 6, 2007.
- Suture Placement Apparatus, R.C. Fortier, J.D. Hill, et al, No. 7,122,040, October 17, 2006.
- Ligating Band Dispenser with Transverse Ridge Profile, R.C. Fortier, No. 7,063,709, June 20, 2006.
- System, Method and Apparatus for Accurately Deploying Medical Appliances at a Target Site, R.C. Fortier, M. Bowen, M. McCabe, No. 7,060,076, June 13, 2006.
- Sheath for Cervical Optical Probe, R.C. Fortier, P. Banks, No. D 500,134, December, 2004.
- System, Method and Apparatus for Accurately Deploying Particular Medical Appliances at a Target Site, R.C. Fortier, M. Bowen, No. 6,632,228, October, 2003.
- Obturator Assembly, R.C. Fortier, P.T. O’Herron, No. 6,544,277, April, 2003.
- Improved Ligating Band and Method of Use of Same, R.C. Fortier, Nos. 6,409,737, June, 2002 and 5,972,009, October, 1999.
- Trocar with Removable, Replaceable Tip, R.C. Fortier, No.6,106,539, August, 2000.
- Stent/Graft Catheter Handle, R.C. Fortier, B. Adams, No. 5,944,727, August, 1999.
- Distal End for Ligating Band Dispenser, R.C. Fortier, L. Vu, No. 5,913,865, June, 1999.
PME 580 Medical Device Design and Technology