|ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING|
|Building: McLean Building|
|Email: [email protected]|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry and Biological Sciences|
|Program: Biomedical Engineering|
- Ph.D. (Biomedical Engineering), Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 01/2002
- M.S. (Biomedical Engineering), Peking Union Medical College), Beijing, China, 11/92
- B.E. (Polymeric Materials and Chemical Engineering), Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. 07/89
Dr. Yu's primary research interests focus on tissue engineering, polymeric biomaterials and drug delivery. His current research activities include nano- and micro-scale functionalization of biomimic three-dimensional scaffolds for neural and musculoskeletal tissue repair and regeneration, investigation of cell and material interactions in bioreactors, development of controlled release systems for the delivery of growth factors and drugs, manipulation of microenvironment for stem cell proliferation and differentiation.
- Associate Professor (09/11-present), Biomedical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- Assistant Professor (06/05-08/11), Biomedical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- Research Associate (04/03-06/05), Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Research PostDoc Associate (11/01-03/03), Department of Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
The Society For Biomaterials.
The Materials Research Society.
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- Aja Aravamudhan, Daisy M. Ramos, Jonathan Nip, Matthew D. Harmon, Roshan James, Meng Deng, Cato T. Laurencin, Xiaojun Yu, and Sangamesh G. Kumbar.. (2013). Cellulose and Collagen Derived Micro‐Nano Structured Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering, J. Biomed. Nanotechnol.. 9 719-731.
- Junping Wang, Ceren ÷rnek‐Ballanco, Jiahua Xu, Weiguo Yang, and Xiaojun Yu. (2013). "Preparation and characterization of vinculin‐targeted polymerĖlipid nanoparticle as intracellular delivery vehicle", Int J Nanomedicine, 8 39-46.
- Asli Ergun, Xiaojun Yu, Antonio Valdevit, Arthur Ritter and Dilhan M. Kalyon,. (2012). "Radially and axially‐graded multizonal scaffolds targeting critical‐sized bone defects from polycaprolactone/hydroxyapatite/tricalcium phosphate", Tissue Engineering A,, 18 (23-24), 2426‐2436.
- Pavlukhina SV, Kaplan JB, Xu L, Chang W, Yu X, Madhyastha S, Yakandawala N, Mentbayeva A, Khan B, Sukhishvili SA.. (2012). Noneluting enzymatic antibiofilm coatings., ACS Appl Mater Interfaces.. 4 (9), 4708-16.
- Valmikinathan CM, Chang W, Xu J, and Yu X.. (2012). Self assembled temperature responsive surfaces for generation of cell patches for bone tissue engineering, Biofabrication. 4 (3), 035006.
- Ergun A, Yu X, Valdevit A, Ritter A, Kalyon DM.. (2011). In vitro analysis and mechanical properties of twin screw extruded single‐layered and coextruded multilayered poly(caprolactone) scaffolds seeded with human fetal osteoblasts for bone tissue engineering, J Biomed Mater Res A.. 99 (3), 354‐66.
- Wang JP, Zhu YZ, Bawa HK, Ng G, Wu Y, Libera M, van der Mei, HC, Busscher HJ, and Yu X.. (2011). Oxygen‐Generating Nanofiber Cell Scaffolds with Antimicrobial Properties, Applied materials and Interfaces. 3 (1), 67 ‐73.
- Wu Y, Zitelli JP, TenHuisen KA, Yu X, and Libera MR.. (2011). Differential response of Staphylococci and osteoblasts to varying titanium surface roughness, Biomaterials. 32 (4), 951‐60.
- Wang JP, Shah A, and Yu. X.,. (2011). The influence of fiber thickness, wall thickness and gap distance on the spiral nanofibrous scaffolds for bone tissue engineering, Materials Science and Engineering C. 31 50-56.
- Valmikinathan CM, Hoffman J, and Yu X.. (2011). Impact of scaffold micro and macro architecture on Schwann cell proliferation under dynamic conditions in a rotating wall vessel bioreactorĒ,, Materials Science and Engineering C. 31 22-29.
- Ozkan S, Kalyon DM, and Yu X.,. (2010). Functionally graded beta‐TCP/PCL nanocomposite scaffolds: In vitro evaluation with human fetal osteoblast cells for bone tissue engineering, J Biomed Mater Res A.. 92 (3), 1007‐18.
- Wang JP, Valmikinathan CM, Liu W, Laurencin CT, and Yu X,. (2010). Spiral‐Structured, Nanofibrous, 3D Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering, J Biomed Mater Res A.. 93 (2), 753‐762.
- Wang JP, and Yu X.. (2010). Preparation, characterization and in vitro analysis of novel structured nanofibrous scaffolds for bone tissue engineering, Acta Biomaterialia. 6 3004-3012.
- Ozkan S, Kalyon DM, Yu X, McKelvey C, and Lowinger M. (2009). Multifunctional polycaprolactone (PCL) scaffolds for controlled release and tissue engineering applications: In vitro evaluation of released protein secondary structure stability, release profile and biocompatibility, Biomaterials. 30 4336-4347.
- Wang JP, Valmikinathan CM and Yu X,. (2009). Nanostructures for Bypassing Blood Brain Barrier, Current Bioactive Compounds. 5 (3), 195-205.
- Degirmenbasi N, Ozkan S, Kalyon DM and Yu, X.. (2009). Surface patterning of poly (L‐lactide) upon melt processing: in vitro culturing of fibroblasts and osteoblasts on surfaces ranging from highly crystalline with spherulitic protrusions to amorphous with nanoscale indentations., Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A.. 88 (1), 94‐104.
- Valmikinathan CM, Defroda S, and Yu X.,. (2009). Polycaprolactone and bovine serum albumin based nanofibers for controlled release of nerve growth factor, Biomacromolecules. 10 (5), 1084‐9.
- Chandra M. Valmikinathan, Junping Wang, Sergio Smiriglio, Neha G. Golwala, and Xiaojun Yu.. (2009). "Magnetically induced protein gradients on electrospun nanofibers. ", Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. 12 656-663.
- Nebahat Degirmenbasi, Seher Ozkan, Dilhan M. Kalyon and Yu, X.. (2009). "Surface patterning of poly (L-lactide) upon melt processing: in vitro culturing of fibroblasts and osteoblasts on surfaces ranging from highly crystalline with spherulitic protrusions to amorphous with nanoscale indentations. ", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research PartA. . 88 (1), 94-104.
- Chandra M Valmikinathan, Jingjing Tian, Junping Wang, and Yu X. (2008). "Novel nanofibrous spiral scaffolds for neural tissue engineering.", Journal of Neural Engineering. 5 422-432.
- Laurencin CT, Khan Y, Kofron M, El-Amin S, Botchwey E, Yu X, Cooper JA Jr. (2006). "The ABJS Nicolas Andry Award: Tissue engineering of bone and ligament: a 15-year perspective (review) ", Clin Orthop Relat Res. , 447 221-236.
- X. Yu, E.A. Botchwey, E.M. Levine, S.R. Pollack and C.T. Laurencin.. (2004). "Bioreactor-based bone tissue engineering: the influence of dynamic flow on osteoblast phenotype expression and matrix mineralization", Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 101 (31), 11203-8.
- X. Yu and R.V. Bellamkonda.. (2003). "Tissue-engineered scaffolds are effective alternatives to autografts for bridging peripheral nerve gaps. ", Tissue Engineering. 9 (3), 421-430.
- X. Yu and R.V. Bellamkonda. (2001). "Dorsal root ganglia neurite extension across mechanical and charged interfaces.", Journal of Neuroscience Research, 66 303-310.
- A.P. Balgude, X. Yu, A. Szymanski and R.V. Bellamkonda. (2001). "Agarose gel stiffness determines rate of DRG neurite extension in 3D cultures.", Biomaterials. 22 (10), 1077-1084.
- N.J. Meilander, X. Yu, N.P. Ziats and R.V. Bellamkonda. (2001). "Lipid-based microtubular drug delivery vehicles", J Control Release. 71 (1), 141-152.
- Y. Zhong, X. Yu, R. Gilbert, R.V. Bellamkonda. (2001). "Stabilizing electrode-host interfaces: a tissue engineering approach.", Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 38 (6), 627-632.
- G.P. Dillon, X. Yu and R.V. Bellamkonda. (2000). "The polarity and magnitude of ambient charge influences three-dimensional neurite extension from DRGs", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 51 (3), 510-519.
- D.A. Eavarone, X. Yu and R.V. Bellamkonda. (2000). "Receptor-mediated targeting of C6 glioma by transferrin-coupled liposomes.", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 51 (1), 10-14.
- X. Yu, G.P. Dillon and R.V. Bellamkonda. (1999). "A laminin and nerve growth factor laden 3D matrix for enhanced neurite extension.", Tissue Engineering. 5 (4), 291-304.
- G.P. Dillon, X. Yu, A. Sridharran, J.P. Ranieri and R.V. Bellamkonda. (1998). "The influence of physical structure and charge on neurite extension in a 3D hydrogel scaffold.", Journal of Biomaterials Science: Polymer Edition 9, 1015-1114.
- BME 602 Principles of Tissue Engineering
- BME 685 Nanobiotechnology