Dr. Nikos Panayotatos
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Mechanical Engineering|
|Program: Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Engineering|
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, Loyola University of Chicago, 1976
- M.S., Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, 1972
- B.S., University of Athens, Greece, 1969
Dr. Nikos Panayotatos is an Independent Expert in Biotechnology ( http://biotechnology-expert.com ) with over 30 years of academic, industrial, consulting and teaching experience in R&D of biologics and intellectual property.
In his academic research, he discovered, among others, the T7 late promoter and the existence of cruciform DNA structures in vitro and in vivo.
As part of his work in the biopharmaceutical industry, he invented gene expression systems, protein production technology, rationally designed proteins and targeted drug delivery methods. He also planned and directed the development of many human recombinant proteins as therapeutics.
For the last 18 years, Dr. Panayotatos has been advising clients on the development of recombinant proteins, including mAbs and small peptides, as well as on technology and intellectual property assessment. As part of this work, he has planned, directed and testified on experiments testing patent validity and infringement, and provided technical expertise on major cases of patent litigation that won settlements of over $600 million.
As an Adjunct Professor at Steven, Dr. Panayotatos has also created the graduate course PME 570, focused on genetic engineering and upstream process development of biopharmaceuticals.
Dr. Panayotatos speaks English, Greek and French.
- 1976-1980, Research Associate and NIH Viral Oncology Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- 2008 - Present, Adjunct Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- 1996 - Present, Independent Consultant in Biotechnology
- 1994, Director of Process Sciences and Associate Director of Manufacturing, REGENERON Pharmaceuticals Inc., Tarrytown, New York
- 1991, Associate Director of Manufacturing and Process Development, REGENERON Pharmaceuticals Inc., Tarrytown, New York
- 1989, Senior Staff Scientist, Molecular and Cellular Biology, REGENERON Pharmaceuticals Inc., Tarrytown, New York
- 1987 - 1989, Michigan Bitechnology Institute, Senior Scientist
- 1987 - 1989, Michigan State University, Associate Professor (adjunct), Department of Biochemisty, East Lansing, Michigan.
- 1982, Senior Scientist and Group Leader, BIOGEN S.A., Geneva, Switzerland
- 1981, Scientist and Group Leader, BIOGEN S.A., Geneva, Switzerland
- 1980, Scientist, BIOGEN S.A., Geneva, Switzerland
Patents & Inventions
- PME 530 Introduction to Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- PME 539 Bioprocess Technology in API Manufacturing
- PME 570 Biopharmaceuticals - Product Development and Upstream Production Systems