|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING|
|Building: McLean Hall|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemistry, Chemical Biology & Biomedical Engineering|
|Program: Biomedical Engineering|
BSME, Mechanical Engineering, MIT
MS/PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
Postdoctoral training, Physiology & Cellular Biophysics and Pulmonary Division, Dept of Medicine, Columbia University
Our laboratory studies lung mechanics in the context of acute lung injury. A hallmark of acute lung injury is pulmonary edema, in which liquid leaks out of the blood vessels into the airspace of the lung. Such liquid-filling of the airspace causes breathing difficulty in patients. For breathing assistance, acute lung injury patients are placed on mechanical ventilation. In attempting to provide sufficient assistance, however, mechanical ventilation can cause over-distension injury of the lungs and prevent recovery. The mortality rate is about 30% and patients often die from the ventilator injury, not the underlying lung disease.
To address this problem, we study inflation mechanics in the edematous lung. Our goal is to use our understanding of mechanics to inform development of novel treatment methods that reduce ventilator induced lung injury.
- Perlman CE, Mockros LF. (2012). "Predicted oxygenation efficacy of a thoracic artificial lung", ASAIO Jounral, 58 (3), 247-254.
- Wu Y, Perlman CE. (2012). "In situ methods for assessing alveolar mechanics", Journal of Applied Physiology, 112 (3), 519-526.
- Bhattacharya J, Perlman CE. (2010). "Commentaries on Viewpoint: Standards for quantitative assessment of lung structure. Air space connectivity", Journal of Applied Physiology, 109 (3), 935-936.
- Perlman CE, Lederer DJ, Bhattacharya J. (2010). "The micromechanics of alveolar edema", American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, 44 (1), 34-49.
- Kuo AS, Perlman CE, Mockros LF, Cook KE. (2008). "Pulmonic valve function during thoracic artificial lung attachment", ASAIO Journal, (54), 197.
- Perlman CE and Bhattacharya J. (2007). "Alveolar expansion imaged by optical sectioning microscopy", Journal of Applied Physiology, (103), 1037.
- Lindert J, Perlman CE, Parthasarathi K, Bhattacharya J. (2007). "Chloride-dependent secretion of alveolar wall liquid determined by optical sectioning microscopy", American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, (36), 688.
- Perlman CE, Mockros LF. (2007). "Hemodynamic consequences of thoracic artificial lung attachment configuration: a computational model", ASAIO Journal, (53), 50.
- Perlman CE, Cook KE, Seipelt R, Mavroudis C, Backer CL, Mockros LF. (2005). "In vivo hemodynamic responses to thoracic artificial lung attachment", ASAIO Journal, (51), 412.
- Cook KE, Perlman CE, Seipelt R, Backer CL, Mavroudis C, Mockros LF. (2005). "Hemodynamic and gas transfer properties of a compliant thoracic artificial lung", ASAIO Journal , (51), 404.
- Boschetti F, Cook KE, Perlman CE, Mavroudis LF, Backer CL, Mockros LF. (2003). "Blood flow pulsatility effects upon oxygen transfer in artificial lungs", ASAIO Journal , (49), 678.
- Boschetti F, Perlman CE, Cook KE, Mockros LF. (2000). "Hemodynamic effects of attachment modes and device design of a thoracic artificial lung", ASAIO Journal , (46), 42.