|PROFESSOR & DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR, CCBBME|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemistry, Chemical Biology & Biomedical Engineering|
|Program: Chemistry & Chemical Biology / Biomedical Engineering|
Georgetown University, B.S Biology 1987
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Ph.D. Neuroscience, 1993
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Aaron Diamond Post-Doctoral Fellow, 1993-1996
Intracellular trafficking of viruses
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY
- Assistant Professor of Biochemistry in Medicine, 1996-2004
- Assistant Professor of Genetic Medicine, 2000-2004
- Associate Professor of Genetic Medicine, 2004-2008
- Associate Professor of Biochemistry in Medicine, 2004-2008
- Faculty Mentor, Stevens Men's Soccer Team
- Member, Student Faculty Alliance
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Mentor, Technogenesis Scholars
Honors & Awards
Georgetown University Biology Medal, 1987
Weill Medical College Excellence in Teaching Award, 2002
Weill Medical College Charles L. Bardes Teaching Prize, 2005
Edwin "Doc" Farrell Award (Stevens Institute of Technology), 2011-2
Stevens Institute of Technology
- Professor and Director, Department of Chemistry, Chemical Biology, & Biomedical Engineering, 2008 - present
New York Society of Experimental Microscopists, President, 2001-2003
Harvey Society, 2003-present
American Society for Gene Therapy, Education Committee Chair, 2006-2008; Member, Chemical Gene Transfer Committee, American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy, 2012-present
Grants, Contracts & Funds
"Rigid cationic carotenoid lipids as novel miRNA delivery vectors." Collaboration with Prof. Michael Pungente, Weill Cornell Medical College - Qatar, Doha, Qatar, and Profs. Vassilia Partali and Richard Sliwka, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway. Funding agency: Qatar National Research Foundation.
"Math Science Partnership Proposal 2010: Curriculum Topic Study to Enhance Achievement in Mathematics and Science (C-TEAMS)." Collaboration with Mercedes McKay, Stevens Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education. Funding agency: US Department of Education/New Jersey Department of Education.
"Pfizer Undergraduate Research Endeavors: Research Funding for the Technogenesis Scholarship Program." Funding agency: Independent College Fund of New Jersey/Pfizer Foundation.
"Pfizer Undergraduate Research Endeavors: A Pilot Research Spine to Extend Experiential Learning Throughout the Science Curriculum." Funding agency: Independent College Fund of New Jersey/Pfizer Foundation.
Patents & Inventions
Crystal RG, Sato N, Leopold PL. Method of modulating hair growth. United States Patent #6,159,950.
- Leopold PL, Vincent J, Wang H.. (2012). "A comparison of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and re-epithelialization. ", Seminars in Cancer Biology, (in press).
- Pungente MD, Jubeli E, ōpstad C, Al-kawaz M, Barakat N, Ibrahim T, Khalique NA, Jones R, Leopold PL, Sliwka HR, Partali V.. (2012). "Synthesis and preliminary investigations towards the siRNA delivery potential of novel, single-chain rigid cationic carotenoid lipids. ", Molecules, 17 3484-3500.
- Leopold PL,* OíMahony MJ,* Lian XJ,* Harvey BG, Crystal RG. (2009). "Smoking is associated with shortened airway cilia ", PLoS ONE, [* - these authors contributed equally to the work]. 4 (12), e8157.
- Vincent T, Neve EPA, Johnson JR, Kukalev A, Rojo F, Albanell J, Pietras K, Virtanen I, Philipson L, Leopold PL, Crystal RG, de Herreros AG, Moustakas A, Pettersson RF, Fuxe J.. (2009). "A Snail-Smad transcriptional repressor complex promotes TGF-β-mediated epithelial-mesenchymal transition ", Nature Cell Biology, 11 943-950.
- Berth SB, Leopold PL, Morfini G.. (2009). "Virus-induced neuronal dysfunction and degeneration. ", Frontiers in Bioscience, 14 5239-5259.
- Kiuru M, Hidaka C, Hubner R-H, Krause A, Leopold PL, Crystal RG.. (2009). "Transient systemic overexpression of Sonic hedgehog mediates expansion of diaphyseal trabecular bone with associated amplification of the hematopoietic stem cell niche.", Molecular Therapy, 17 1442-1452.
- Hubner R-H, Kiuru M, Krause A, Leopold PL, Crystal RG.. (2009). "Dysfunction in glycogen storage with metabolic consequences in a mouse model of Alpha 1-Antitrypsin Deficiency", Am. J. Resp. Cell Molec. Biol., 40 239-247.
- Saitoh H, Leopold PL, Harvey B-G, O'Connor TP, Worgall S, Hackett NR, Crystal RG. (2009). "Emphysema Mediated by Lung Overexpression of ADAM10", Clin Transl Sci, 2 50-56.
- Song Y, Lou HH, Boyer JL, Limberis MP, Vandenberghe LH, Hackett NR, Leopold PL, Wilson JM, Crystal RG. (2009). "Functional cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator expression in cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells by AAV6.2-mediated segmental trans-splicing", Hum Gene Ther, 20 267-281.
- Leopold PL, Crystal RG. (2007). "Intracellular trafficking of adenovirus: Many means to many ends", Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 59 810-821.
- Leopold PL, Wendland R, Vincent T, Crystal RG. (2006). "Neutralized adenovirus-immune complexes can mediate effective gene transfer via a Fc receptor-dependent infection pathway", Journal of Virology, 80 10237-10247.
- Leopold PL, Pfister KK. (2006). "Viral strategies for intracellular trafficking: motors and microtubules", Traffic, 7 516-523.
- Kelkar S, De B, Gao G, Wilson JM, Crystal RG, Leopold PL. (2006). "A common mechanism for cytoplasmic dynein-dependent microtubule binding shared among adeno-associated virus and adenovirus serotypes", Journal of Virology, 80 7781-7785.
- Lou H, Crystal RG, Leopold PL. (2005). "Enhanced in vivo efficacy of cholesterol-minus Sonic hedgehog", Molecular Therapy, 12 575-578.
- Leopold PL. (2007). "Viruses as Mentors for Nano-scale Drug Delivery", Eighth Annual Nanobiotechnology Symposium. Cornell University Nanobiotechnology Center.
- Leopold PL. (2007). "Chapter 34: Microtubule-dependent motility during intracellular trafficking of vector genome to the nucleus: Subcellular mimicry in virology and nanoengineering", Nanotechnology in Biology and Medicine, T. Vo-Dinh, Taylor and Francis, Inc./CRC Press Inc., London.
CH 281 Biology and Biotechnology
CH 484 Introduction to Molecular Genetics
CH 662 Separation Methods in Analytical and Organic Chemistry
CH 781 Selected Topics in Biochemistry II