Dr. Matthew Libera
|PROFESSOR & ASSOCIATE DEAN OF ENGINEERING & SCIENCE|
|Building: Burchard Building|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science|
|Program: Materials Science / Nanotechnology|
|Laboratory: Laboratory for Multiscale Imaging|
- Sc.D. (1987) MIT, Cambridge, MA,
Advisors: John Vander Sande and Morris Cohen
- S.M. (1983) MIT, Cambridge, MA, Materials Science
- B.S. (1981) Lafayette College, Metallurgical Engineering
- Polymeric biomaterials and hydrogels
- Biomaterials-associated infection
- Electron microscopy
- Electron-beam lithography
- Electron energy-loss spectroscopy
- 1989- present, Professor Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1992- present, Executive Director, Laboratory for Multiscale Imaging
- 1996-97, Visiting Scientist, Robert L. Mitchell Technical Center, Hoescht-Celanese Corporation, Summit, NJ
- 1988-89; Visiting Scientist; IBM Research Division; Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
- 1987-1988 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Member of the Stevens Board of Trustees, 2011 - 2013
Honors & Awards
- Morton Professorship for Excellence in Teaching 2010-2011
- Master of Engineering, Honorus Causa,
Stevens Institute of Technology, 2003
- Jess N. Davis Award for Exemplary Research, 1998
- Alexander Humphreys Award
for Outstanding Teaching, 1997
- Materials Research Society Student Award,
- Microscopy Society of America,
Presidential Scholar, 1986
- The American Society for
the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- The Society for Biomaterials
- The Materials Research Society (MRS)
- The Microscopy Society of America (MSA)
Patents & Inventions
U.S. Patent 8,093,009 Surface Differentially Adhesive to Bacteria and Eukaryotic Cells
- Q. Wang, X. Yu, and M. Libera. "Peptide-loaded self-assembled microgels reduce bacterial colonization in 3-D nanofiber cell scaffolds", Advanced Healthcare Materials, in press (2012).
- Y. Wang, G. Subbiahdoss, J. de Vries, M. Libera, H.C. van der Mei, and H.J. Busscher. "Effect of adsorbed fibronectin on the differential adhesion of osteoblast-like cells and Staphylococcus aureus with and without fibronectin-binding proteins", Biofouling, 2012. 28(9): p. 1011-1021.
- R.F. Egerton, S. Lazar, and M. Libera. "Delocalized radiation damage in polymers", Micron, 43 (1): (2012) 2-7.
- X. Dai, W. Yang, E. Firlar, S. Marras, and M. Libera. "Surface-patterned microgel-tethered molecular beacons", Soft Matter, 8 ( ): (2012) 3067-3076.
- Q. Wang, E. Uzunoglu, Y. Wu, and M. Libera. "Self-assembled poly(ethylene glycol) -co- acrylic acid microgels to inhibit bacterial colonization of synthetic surfaces", Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4 (5): (2012) 2498-2506.
- Y. Wang, G. Subbiahdoss, J. Swartjes, H.C. van der Mei, H.J. Busscher, and M. Libera. "Length-Scale Mediated Differential Adhesion of Mammalian Cells and Microbes", Advanced Functional Materials, 21 (20): (2011) 3916-3923.
- Y. Wu, X. Yu, J. Zitelli, K. TenHuisen, and M. Libera. (2010). "Differential response of staphylococci and osteoblasts to varying titanium surface roughness", Biomaterials, 32 (4): (2011) 951-960.
- M. Libera and R. Egerton. (2010). "Advances in the Transmission Electron Microscopy of Polymers", Polymer Reviews, 50 (3), 321-339.
- S. Yakovlev, M. Misra, S. Shi, E. Firlar, and M. Libera. (2010). "Nanoscale water mapping in hydrated biological materials by low-loss electron energy-loss spectroscopy", Ultramicroscopy. 50 866-876.
- P. Krsko, J. Kaplan, and M. Libera. (2009). "Spatially controlled bacterial adhesion using surface-patterned poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels.", Acta Biomaterialia. 5 589-596.
- P. Krsko, T. McCann, T.-T. Thach, T. Laabs, H. Geller, and M. Libera. (2009). "Length-Scale Mediated Adhesion and Directed Growth of Neural Cells by Surface-Patterned Poly(ethylene glycol) Hydrogels", Biomaterials. 30 721-729.
- S. Yakovlev, M. Misra, S. Shi, and M. Libera. (2009). "Specimen thickness dependence of hydrogen evolution during cryo-transmission electron microscopy of hydrated soft materials", Journal of Microscopy. 236 (3), 174-179.
- M. Sengonul, A. Sousa, and M. Libera. (2009). "Selective adsorption of surface-modified ferritin on a phase-separated polymer blend", Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 73 (1), 152-155.
- G. Kim, A. Sousa, D. Myers, and M. Libera. (2008). "Nanoscale composition of biphasic polymer nanocolloids in solution measured by spatially resolved EELS in the cryo-STEM", Microscopy and Microanalysis. 14 (5), 459-468.
- E 344 Materials Processing
- MT 544 Introduction to Electron Microscopy
- MT 650 Special Topics in Materials Science and Engineering