Dr. Michael Bruno
|FEILER CHAIR PROFESSOR & DEAN, SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING & SCIENCE|
|Building: Edwin A. Stevens|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering|
|Program: Maritime Systems / Naval Engineering / Ocean Engineering|
|Research Center: Center for Secure and Resilient Maritime Commerce|
|Laboratory: Maritime Security Laboratory / Davidson Laboratory|
- ScD. Civil-Ocean Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution 1986
- M.S. Civil Engineering, University of California at Berkeley 1981
- B.S. Civil Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology 1980
Dr. Bruno's research and teaching interests include ocean observation systems, maritime security, and coastal ocean dynamics. He is the author of more than 100 technical publications in various aspects of the field. Prior to assuming the duties of Dean, Dr. Bruno was the Director of the Center for Maritime Systems and Davidson Laboratory at Stevens from 1989 to 2007. During this period, he initiated the development of several ocean and weather observation and forecasting systems, including the New York Harbor Observation and Prediction System, sponsored by the Office of Naval Research; and the New Jersey Coastal Monitoring Network, both of which are now important components of the US Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS).
Dr. Bruno's involvement in ocean observation system design and operation includes international efforts, in particular via his work as the Co-Chair of the International Workshop Steering Committee for the GEO Coastal Zone Community of Practice. Dr. Bruno was also the founder and Principal Investigator of the Atlantic Center for the Innovative Design and Control of Small Ships – funded by the Office of Naval Research. The Center includes the U.S. Naval Academy, University College London, Webb Institute of Naval Architecture, and the Naval Postgraduate School, and directs university-industry collaborative research and educational programs in support of the ship design community. In 2008, Dr. Bruno led a team of academic institutions, including Stevens, MIT, Rutgers University, the University of Puerto Rico, and the University of Miami in a successful proposal to receive designation as the DHS National Center of Excellence in Maritime, Island, and Extreme Environment Security.
- Director, Naval Engineering undergraduate program, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2005-2007.
- Director, Stevens Scholars Program, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1996-2007.
- Coordinator, Ocean Engineering Graduate Program, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1989-2007.
- Chair, Marine Board of the National Research Council (NRC), 2007-2012.
- Member, Naval Research Advisory Committee (NRAC)
- Member, Ocean Research and Resources Advisory Panel (ORAP)
- Member, Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Regional Association Coastal Ocean Observing System (MARACOOS), 2008-present.
- Co-Chair, GEO Coastal Zone Community of Practice (CZCP) workshop: "Observing System Requirements for Managing and Mitigating the Impacts of Human Activities and Coastal Inundation in the Mediterranean Region", Athens, Greece, June, 2008.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Marine Environmental Engineering, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers.
- Member, Transportation Research Board Committee on Marine Environment, 2006-2010.
- American Meteorological Society Committee on Coastal Environment, 2007-2010.
- Member, Defense Science Board Summer Study on DoD Roles and Missions in Homeland Security, 2003.
- Secretary General - Pan American Federation of Coastal and Ocean Engineering.
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Scholar, 1996 (appointment at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece)
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 1991
- Denny Medal, 2007, The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, London
- Fellow, ASCE, 2006
- Fellow, Explorers Club, 2002
- President's Leadership Award, 2006, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Outstanding Service Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1988
- Member, Cosmos Club, 2003
- James Robbins Award for excellence in teaching, N.J. Inst. of Tech. 1986 - 1987
- Dean, Schaefer School of Engineering and Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2007 - present
- Director, DHS National Center of Excellence - the Center for Secure and Resilient Maritime Commerce and Coastal Environments, 2008-present
- Professor of Ocean Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1989 - present
- Visiting Professor, University College London, 2004 – present.
- Director, Davidson Laboratory, 1989 - 2007
- Director, New Jersey Coastal Protection Technical Assistance Service, 1992 - 2004
- Assistant Professor, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 1986 - 1989
- Principal Engineer, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Coastal Engineering, 1981 - 1982
- The Marine Technology Society
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Geophysical Union
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- The Oceanography Society
- Rogowski, P., R. Stolkin, and M. Bruno. (2012). Optimization of the Spatial Distribution of Oceanographic Sensors in a Highly Variable Estuarine Environment, J. Marine Environmental Engrg. 9 (3), 211-224.
- Wilkens, R., T. Gemelas, and M. Bruno (co-editors).. (2011). "Maritime Domain Awareness and Resilience Applications for Homeland Security", J. Marine Technology Society. 45 (3).
- K.W. Chung, A. Sutin, A. Sedunov, and M. Bruno. (2011). "Cross-correlation method for measuring ship acoustic signatures", Proceedings, 160th Meeting Acoustical Society of America , 11 1-12.
- R. Messaros and M.S. Bruno. (2011). "A Laboratory Investigation of Bedform Geometry under Regular and Irregular Surface Gravity Waves", Journal of Coastal Research.
- Plag, H.-P., Adegoke, J., Bruno, M., Christian, R., Digiacomo, P., McManus, L., Nicholls, R. and van de Wal, v.,. (2010). "Observations as Decision Support for Coastal Management in Response to Local Sea Level Changes", Hall, J., Harrison, D.E. & Stammer, D, Proceedings of OceanObs'09: Sustained Ocean Observations and Information for Society , 2.
- M.S. Bruno, K.W. Chung, H. Graber, A. Sutin, P. Mallas, H. Salloum, A. Sedunov, N. Sedunov. (2010). "Concurrent Use of Satellite Imaging and Passive Acoustics for Maritime Domain Awareness", Proceedings, Waterside Security Conference.
- B. Bunin, A. Sutin, M. Bruno. (2007). "Maritime Security Laboratory for Maritime Security Research", Proceedings, SPIE, 6540 1-8.
- M.S. Bruno, A.F. Blumberg and T.O. Herrington. (2006). "The Urban Ocean Observatory - Coastal Ocean Observations and Forecasting in the New York Bight.", Journal of Marine Science and Environment, No C4, IMarEST, 1-9.
- H. Roarty and M.S. Bruno. (2006). "Laboratory Measurements of Bed Load Sediment Transport Dynamics.", ASCE Journal of Water, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 132 (3), 199-211.
- R. Stolkin, A. Sutin, S. Radhakrishnan, M. Bruno, B. Fullerton, A. Ekimov, M. Raftery. (2006). "Feature Based Passive Acoustic Detection of Underwater Threats", Proceedings, SPIE, 6204 40-49.
- M. Bruno, B. Fullerton, R. Datla, P. Rogowski. (2004). "Field and Laboratory Investigation of High-Speed Ferry Wake Impacts in New York Harbor", High Speed Performance Vehicles, Springer. 277-286.
- K.L. Rankin, M.S. Bruno, and T.O. Herrington. (2004). "Nearshore Currents and Sediment Transport Measured at a Notched Groin.", J. Coastal Research, Special Issue
. (33), 237-254.
- N. Jackson, K. Nordstrom, M. Bruno and V. Spaulding. (2000). "Classification of Spatial and Temporal Changes to a Developed Barrier Island", Geomorphology, Human Activity and Global Environmental Change, John Wiley & Sons. 269-283.
- M. Bruno, K. Rankin, and T. Herrington. (1999). "Coastal Wave Measurement and Forecast System : Preliminary Results and Model Selection", Estuarine and Coastal Modeling, ASCE. 899-914.
- M.S. Bruno and R.L. Van Dyck. (1997). "Experimental Study of Containment Boom Behavior in Waves", J. Marine Technology, SNAME, 34 24-30.
- T. Herrington and M. Bruno. (1998). "Observations of Structure Induced Scour Adjacent to Submerged Narrow - Crested Breakwaters", Coastlines, Structures and Breakwaters, Institution of Civil Engineers. 106-118.
- J.K. Waters and M.S. Bruno. (1995). "Internal Wave Generation by Ice Floes Moving in Stratified Water: Results from a Laboratory Study", J. Geophys. Res., 100 13635-13639.
- A.K.M. Ahsan, M.S. Bruno, L.Y. Oey and R.I. Hires.. (1994). "Wind-Driven Dispersion in New Jersey Coastal Waters", Journal of Hyd. Div., ASCE, 1264-1273.
- M.S. Bruno, M. Muntisov and H.B. Fischer. (1990). "The Effect of Buoyancy on Transverse Mixing in Streams", J. of Hyd. Div., ASCE, 116 1484-1494.
- M.S. Bruno and O.S. Madsen. (1989). "Coupled Circulation and Ice Floe Movement Model for Partially Ice-Covered Continental Shelves", J. Geophys. Res., 94 2065-2078.
- A.K.M. Ahsan and M. Bruno. (1989). "Three-Dimensional Modeling of Pollutant Transport in Coastal Waters", Estuarine and Coastal Modeling, ASCE. 462-471.
- O.S. Madsen and M.S. Bruno. (1987). "A Methodology for the Determination of Drag Coefficients for Ice Floes", J. Offshore Mech. and Arctic Eng., ASME, 109 381-387.
- J. Pullen and M. Bruno. (2014). "The Center for Secure and Resilient Maritime Commerce: A DHS National Center of Excellence in Maritime Security", Cases on Research and Knowledge Discovery: Homeland Security Centers of Excellence, 2 (10.4018/978-1-4666-5946-9).
- M.S. Bruno, B. Fullerton and R. Datla. (Oct 2002). "Ferry Wake Wash in New York Harbor", Report prepared for New Jersey Department of Transportation. Report SIT-DL-02-9-2812.
- Allee, King Rosen & Fleming Inc., Moffatt & Nichol, Engineers, and M.S. Bruno. (2000). "Town of Southampton Atlantic Ocean Shoreline, Draft Generic Environmental Impact Statement", Town of Southampton, New York.
- M.S. Bruno. (1996). "Field Investigation and Sediment Transport Analysis of the Manasquan, New Jersey Shoreline", Report SIT-DL-9-96-2740, submitted to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- M.S. Bruno. (1994). "Physical Model Study of MOTO Wave Energy Extraction System", Report SIT-DL-94-9-2710, submitted to Greenworld Group, New York, N.Y., Stevens Institute of Technology.
- M.S. Bruno. (1992). "Three-Dimensional Modeling of Pollutant Transport in Surface Waters", Report SIT-DL-92-9-2680, submitted to U.S. Geological Survey, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- M.S. Bruno, T.G. McKee and R.I. Hires. (1991). "Combined Hydraulic - Water Quality Model for the Arthur Kill Waterway", Report submitted to New York City Dept. of Sanitation.
- M.S. Bruno. (1989). "An Eulerian-Lagrangian Model for the Prediction of Ice Hazards in Shallow Coastal Waters", Report SIT-DL-89-9-2640 submitted to National Science Foundation, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Lindstrom, E., R. Spinrad, Z. Willis, D. Martin, D. Hernandez, C. Wilson, H. Seim, M. Bruno, D. Legler, B. Hauptman. (2013). U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS) , NOAA. 96.
- M.S. Bruno and R.I. Hires. (2006). "Oceanography", Encyclopedia of Environmental Science and Engineering, Taylor and Francis. 790-801 .
- M.S. Bruno. (2005). "Physical Models", Encyclopedia of Coastal Science, Springer. 769-771.
- M. Bruno. (1992). "Oceanography", Encyclopedia of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Gordon and Breach. 801-812.