|ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSOR|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemistry, Chemical Biology & Biomedical Engineering|
- Post Doctoral Research Scientist, Columbia University New York, NY 2005-2008, Chemistry Department & Genome Center -Training under Prof. Koji Nakanishi & Prof. Jingyue Ju
- Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry), City University of New York, New York, NY - 2004
- B.Sc. Chemistry Honors, University of Colombo, Faculty of Science, Sri Lanka - 1996
- Chemistry Honors, Royal Society of Chemistry (Institute of Chemistry, Sri Lanka), Sri Lanka - 1993
We are Bio-organic/ Medicinal chemistry group interested in the "Design, Synthesis and Evaluation of Biological Active Molecules”.
Our focus is on synthesizing novel heterocyclic molecules as new therapeutic approaches for cancer and infectious diseases. We plan to develop new compounds that can induce cell differentiation and could act as potential anti-cancer agents. Molecular modeling studies and bioassays will be used to design and characterize the most potent inhibitors.
Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Bioorganic Chemistry & Medicinal Chemistry
- Abeywickrama, C.; Matsuda, H .; Jockusch, S.; Zhou, J.; Jang, Y. P.; Chen, Bi-X.; Itagaki, Y.; Turro, N. J.; Erlanger. (2007). "Immunochemical Recognition of A2E, a Pigment in the Lipofuscin of Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells", Proceedings of the National Academy of sciences, USA, 104, 14610-14615. Download (954 kb PDF).
- Abeywickrama, C.; Rotenberg, S. A; Baker, A. D. (2006). "Inhibition of Protein Kinase C by Dequalinium Analogues: Structure-Activity Studies on Head Group Variations", Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 14, 7796-7803. Download (201 kb PDF).
- Abeywickrama, C.; Baker, A. D. (2004). "Efficient Synthesis of 1,4,5,12-Tetraazatriphenylene and Derivatives", Journal of Organic Chemistry, 69, 7741. Download (210 kb PDF).