ACADEMIC LEAVE OF ABSENCE/WITHDRAWAL
Academic Leave of Absence/Withdrawal from Stevens
Students seeking a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal should appear in person to the Office of Undergraduate Academics located in Edwin A. Stevens Building Room 119. Withdrawing from Stevens means that the student no longer plans to continue his/her education at Stevens. Leave of Absence (LOA) means that the student plans to return to Stevens to continue his/her education. Students wishing to take a voluntary leave of absence from Stevens can do so for up to two semesters or one academic year. Transcripts of students will be reviewed to determine readmission eligibility and conditions. Students who do not return to Stevens within one academic year will be classified as withdrawn. Click here for the LOA/Withdrawal Form.
If you are not on campus or in the area, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Academics at 201-216-5228 during regular business hours (Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 5:00PM).
Students who request a leave of absence between semesters, other than for the summer sessions, will be considered withdrawn for federal student aid and state aid purposes. As a withdrawn student who has borrowed Direct Loans, any applicable grace period will begin and unless the student returns within six months before the end of the grace period, the student will enter repayment following the grace period.
Note: Undergraduate students must apply for readmission within 7 years from the date of the leave of absence or withdrawal from Stevens. An undergraduate degree must be completed within 12 years of entrance to Stevens.
Administrative Leave of Absence
Students may be placed on an Administrative (involuntary) Leave of Absence up to a year for any of the below reasons:
- Financial: If a student is not able to meet his/her financial obligations for the semester or has an outstanding balance from a previous semester/year
- Medical/Mental Health: as determined by professional staff member(s)
- Disciplinary: as determined by the Dean of Students or by the Honor Board
- Academic: as determined by the Academic Promotions Committee
- Not Enrolled: students who do not register for classes by the end of the drop/add period for the semester