B.A. Cornell University
M.A. Columbia University
Ph.D. Columbia University
Nineteenth century poetry and prose; Theater of the Romantic Period; Women Composers and Their Work. [Poster]
GREECE: Ancient Literary Legacy, Modern Entrepreneurial Technology
Begun in 2009 with support from the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, this project through classes, lectures, symposia, and conferences integrates the study of classical literature with Stevens' focus on technology, invention and entrepreneurship.
PROGRAM DIRECTOR, AREA COORDINATOR, LITERATURE AND COMMUNICATIONS
Service on Institute P&T (3x), Faculty Council, Committee on Committees, Academic StandardsWestern Literature: Iliad to KafkaAnalysis of Literary FormsBritish RomanticismVictorian LiteratureRomanticism: Painting, Literature, MusicSurvey of Dramatic LiteratureShakespeare SurveyShakespeare in the CityLiterature and the ArtsSurvey of British LiteratureScience Fiction
Organizer of Stevens' Annual V-DAY
Courses Developed and Taught
Honors & Awards
Graduated from Cornell Phi Beta Kappa, Magna cum Laude in English, General Distinction in all subjects
American Association of University Women Fellowship
NEH Summer Stipend
2 ACLS Fellowships (Grants in Aid)
NEH Travel to Collections Grant
New Jersey Governor's Fellowship
New Jersey Council for the Humanities Grant
Stevens research award--3 times
Stevens Outstanding Teacher Award for the rank of full professor
Master of Engineering, Honoris Causa, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Susan M. Levin. Dorothy Wordsworth and Romanticism, Rutgers University Press, 1987.
- Susan M. Levin. The Romantic Art of Confession, Camden House/Boydell Brewer, 1998.
- Susan M. Levin. Longman Cultural Edition of Dorothy Wordsworth, Longman/Pearson, 2008.
- Susan M. Levin. Dorothy Wordsworth and Romanticism, 2nd Revised Edition, McFarland, 2009.
- Susan M. Levin. "A Fourfold Vision: William Blake and Doris Lessing", Blake and the Moderns, SUNY Albany Press, 1982.
- Susan M. Levin and Robert Ready. "Byron, Keats, and Shelley", Columbia History of British Poetry, Columbia University Press, 1993.
- Susan M. Levin. "The Gipsy is a Jewess: Harriett Abrams and Feminine Romanticism", Romantic Women Writers: Voices and Countervoices, UPNE, 1995.
- Susan M. Levin. "Vice, Ugly Vice: Memoirs of Mrs. Billington from her Birth ", Romantic Autobiography in England, Ashgate, 2009.
- Susan M. Levin. "Articles on nineteenth-century texts, women composers, autobiography", Cornell Review, Prose Studies, Keats-Shelley Journal, Massachusetts Review, European Romantic Review, Nineteenth-Century Prose, Wordsworth Circle.
- Susan M. Levin. "Encyclopedia Entries--Dorothy Wordsworth", Dictionary of Literary Biography, Blackwell Encyclopedia of Romantic Genre,.
HLI 113 Western Literature: Classical Literature
HLI 114 Western Literature: Middle Ages to the Present
HLI 116 Analysis of Literary Forms
HLI 314 19th Century English Literature: Victorians
HLI 316 Science Fiction
HLI 331 Shakespeare
HLI 335 Shakespeare in the City
HLI 341 19th Century English Literature: Romanticism
HLI 342 Modern Drama
HLI 344 British Fiction
HLI 417 English Literature from Beowulf to the Restoration (1660)
HLI 446 English Literature: Restoration (1660) to the Present
HLI 447 Survey of British Literature
HLI 345 A Survey of Dramatic Literature
HLI 351 Romanticism: Painting, Literature, Music
HLI 471 Literature and the Arts