Dr. Peter Dominick
|INDUSTRY ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR|
|Building: Babbio Center|
- Ph.D., Stevens Institute of Technology (Applied Psychology, 1998)
- M.A., Columbia University, Teachers College (Organizational Psychology, 1989)
- B.S. ,Cornell University, (Industrial and Labor Relations, 1986)
Current Research :
- Leadership Development processes and practices
- Project Leadership and Project Team Performance
- Creative Processes in teams and design projects
- Multi-source feedback
- Educational Outcomes Assessment
Peter G. Dominick, an Industry Associate Professor of Management at Stevens, is coordinator of leadership development education at Stevens’ Howe School’s Executive MBA, Project Management and Undergraduate Business and Technology programs. As an educator and consultant, he has created leadership development curriculum stressing action learning and personal development planning. He teaches courses in both conventional classrooms and online. Prior to joining Stevens, Prof. Dominick was a Research Scientist with the Fu Foundation School of Engineering at Columbia University. Earlier, he held corporate HR positions with Itochu International, one of Japan’s leading trading companies. His consulting work includes executive coaching, team-building and process consultation. He has also developed selection, assessment and skill-building programs for a variety of civil, corporate, and educational organizations. Leadership and behavioral skills development are major themes in his writing and research. He has published several papers on multi-source feedback as a leadership development tool and, most recently, co-authored a book chapter entitled Instilling the Leadership Development Mindset. Prof. Dominick is also co-author of Tools and Tactics of Design (John Wiley & Sons), focusing on interpersonal and cognitive competencies required to execute the engineering design process. Other research interests include project leadership and virtual team effectiveness. Prof. Dominick received his Ph.D. in Applied Psychology from Stevens, earned his MA in Organizational Psychology from Columbia University, and completed his undergraduate studies in Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University. In 2005, he received the Howe School’s Outstanding Teacher Award and in 2007 was the recipient of the Harvey N. Davis Award for Distinguished Teaching
Honors & Awards
- CTMR Grant to study the effects of project manager leadership behavior on team performance
- Academy of Management
- American Psychological Society
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Society for Human Resources Management
Grants, Contracts & Funds
Externally Funded Project
Amway International Leadership Development Pilot Program (2008). A $150,000 leadership development program for Amway International employees based in the United States, Europe and Asia. (P. Dominick is project leader). Pilot is first step in attaining a larger project estimated to be in excess of $900,000.
The Vigilance Project: Understanding Emotional Concerns in Team Conflicts. (2007-08). A $2,500 award from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to develop this business case. (P. Dominick was Principal Investigator)
Leadership Development Strategies in Accelerated Growth Economies (2007) – An $8,000 action research project from IBM. (P. Dominick and M. Ryan shared the Principal Investigator role)
BAE Project Leadership Executive Development Program (2007). An $80,000 project manager and leadership development program for mid-level managers. (A. Curtis was the project leader. Also with P. Dominick and T. Lechler.)IBM China Leadership Institute (2006-07). A 289,000 action research project to develop and implement a comprehensive leadership development program for IBM’s China-based personnel (with R. Reilly, A. Mooney and R. Ubell)
MNC Leadership Development Strategies in Accelerated-growth economies (BRIC countries) (2007). An $8,000 action research grant from IBM. (with M. Ryan and R. Ubell)
The Vigilance Project (2007-08). A $2,500 grant from the Society for Human Resource Management. To develop and write this case about an international information technology project team within the pharmaceutical industry.
Internally Funded Research and Education Grants
Understanding Virtual Team Leadership: A Qualitative Investigation. (2003). A $10,000 research grant award from the Center for Technology Management Research (with K. Sobel Lojeski).
Situational Project Leadership: Balancing Transactional with Transformational Approaches. (2002). A $30,000 research grant award from the Center for Technology Management Research (with Z. Aronson & T. Lechler).
Other Proposals Submitted
A Second Wave: Developing Emerging CSC Leaders through Self-Awareness and Personal Development Planning. (2005). A 91,000 project proposal to the Coastal Learning Services Program within Coastal Services Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (Project funding was withdrawn due to budget constraints within CSC.)
Leading in Virtual Space: Development of Tools and Techniques for Virtual Project Leadership at NASA (2004). $75,000 grant proposal submitted to NASA Center for Program/Project Management Research Center (with R. Reilly & K. Sobel Lojeski)
- Peter Dominick (2009). "Forced choice ranking: Pros, cons and alternatives", Performance Management: Putting Research into Practice, James W. Smither and Manuel London , Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Dominick, P. & Byrne, J. (2006). "Instilling the leadership development mindset: Beyond concepts and skills", New Visions in Graduate Education: A Volume in Research in Management Education and Development, Charles Wankel & Robert DeFillippi , Infornation Age Publishers. Download (1884 kb PDF).
- Dominick, P. (1999).. "Using assessment to enhance team performance. ", Stevens Alliance for Technology Management (SATM) Newsletter, 3(1).
- Dominick, P. & Ryan, M. (2008).. "Stevens survey finds technical global companies lack strong technical leadership. ", New Jersey Technical News, May, 8-9.
- Dominick, P. & Luftman, J. (2005).. "Strange Bedfellows: Toward an Integrated HR & IT Skill Set ", HRIM Journal May/June.
- Dominick, P., Lechler, T. & Aronson, Z. (2004).. "Project characteristics and project leadership: Understanding sources of uncertainty in project-based work. ", Stevens Alliance for Technology Management (SATM) Newsletter, 3(8).
- Dominick, P., Squires, P & Cervone, D. (in press). "Back to Persons: On social-cognitive processes and products of leadership development Experiences", Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice,Volume 3(1).
- Dominick, P. & Gabriel, A. (2009). "Two sides to the story: An inter-actionist perspective on identifying potential.", Industrial & Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice. , 2 (4), Download (44 kb PDF).
- Walker, A, Smither, J. Atwater, L., Dominick, P., Brett, J & Reilly, R (in press). "Personality and Multisource Feedback Improvement: A Longitudinal Investigation", Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management.
- P Dominick. (2008). "A Team of Rivals: Learning about emotional intelligence from Abraham Lincoln", Human Resource Management, 1 (47), 189-192. Download (76 kb PDF).
- J. Byrne, P. Dominick, J. Smither, R. Reilly. (2007). "An examination of the discriminant, convergent and criterion-related validity of the ECI", International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 3 (15), 341-353. Download (128 kb PDF).
- Dominick, P, Lechler, T. and Aronson, Z.. (2004). "Project Characteristics and Project Leadership: Understanding Sources of Uncertainty in Project-Based work", Current Issues in Technology Management. SATM, 8 (3), Download (107 kb PDF).
- P. Dominick, K. Sheppard, Z. Aronson. (2004). "Preparing Engineering Students for the New Business Paradigm of International Teamwork and Global Orientation", International Journal of Engineering Education, 3 (22), 475-483. Download (366 kb PDF).
- P. Dominick, R. Reilly, J. McGourty. (1997). "The effects of peer feedback on team member behavior", Group and Organization Management, 4 (22), 508-520.
- J.McGourty, L. Tarshis & P. Dominick. (1995). "Managing innovation: Lessons from world class organizations", International Journal of Technology Management, Paper also presented at the Fifth International Forum on Technology Management, Espoo, Finland, June, 1995 . 3/4 (11), 354-368.
- Sheppard, K., Dominick, P. & Blicharz, E. (2009).. "Peer and Self Assessment in Developing Team Skills in Core Design Sequence.", Paper presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin. TX, June.
- Dominick, P. (2009).. "The Vigilance Project: Using an Integrated Case to Link HR and Management Practices. ", Paper presented at the 24th Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. New Orleans, LA, April.
- Sheppard, K., Dominick, P. & Blicharz, E. (2008).. "Developing Teamwork Skills Through a Core Design Thread.", Paper presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA., June.
- M. Huang & P. Dominick,. (May 2007). "Leader Emergence in Virtual Teams", Hawaii International Conference on Business, Honolulu, HI.
- R. Reilly, K. Sobel Lojeski & P. Dominick,. (Jan 2007). "Multi-tasking and Innovation in Virtual Teams", Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. Honolulu, HI.
- P. Dominick, K. Sobel Lojeski, M.Ryan, R. Reilly. (Oct 2006). "If the World is Flat How Should We Measure Distance.", Global Forum - “Business as an Agent of World Benefit: Management Knowledge Leading Positive Change”, Cleveland, Ohio.
- P. Dominick, J.Byrne, K. Sobel-Lojeski, M.Huang, R. Reilly. (May 2006). "Virtual Cues: Personality’s Presence in Web-based Communication", 18th Annual Convention of the Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY.
- R. Reilly, K. Sobel Lojeski & P. Dominick,. (Jan 2006). "The Role of Virtual Distance in Innovation and Success", Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. Honolulu, HI.
- A. Walker, J. Smither, L. Atwater, P. Dominick, &J. Brett. (May 2006). "The Role of Personality in Multisource Feedback Performance Improvement over Time", 21st Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Dallas, TX.
- R. Reilly, K. Sobel Lojeski & P. Dominick,. (Apr 2005). "Virtual Distance® and Team Performance: A Preliminary Study", Twentieth Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Los Angeles.
- J. Byrne, P. Dominick, J. Smither, R. Reilly. (Apr 2005). "Emotional Competence Inventory Self-Ratings: Discriminant and Criterion-related Validity", Twentieth Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Los Angeles.
- Aronson,Z., Lechler,T. Dominick, P.. (2004). "The influence of project team culture on project success", Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology Conference, Chicago, Il.
- K. Sheppard, G. Korfiatis, P. Dominick, S. Manoochehri, B. McGrath, & Z. Aronson. (Jun 2004). "The role of virtual student design teams in engineering education for the “new workplace”", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference &Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT.
- P. Dominick, . Byrne and R. Reilly. (Apr 2004). "Individual Differences and Peer Feedback: Personality’s Impact on Behavior Change", Nineteenth Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Chicago.
- Z. Aronson, T. Lechler & P. Dominick,. (Apr 2004). "Project Success: The Role of Project Culture", Nineteenth Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Chicago.
- P. Dominick, Z. Aronson, T. Lechler. (Jul 2003). "Project Uncertainty and Transformational Leadership: Contextual Influences on the Impact of Project Manager Leadership Behavior", Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology, Portland, OR.
- J. McGourty, L. Tarshis & P. Dominick,. (Nov 1994). "Innovate like the best of breed", Product Development & Management Association 18th Annual International Conference. Boston, MA.
- Dominick, P., Demel, J, Freuler, R., Kinzel, G., Lawbaugh,W, & Fromm, E.. (2000). Tools and Tactics of Design, John Wiley & Sons.
- Amason, A.C., Aronson, Z., Dominick, P., Holahan, P., Lechler, T. Mooney, A., Reilly, R., Shenhar, A.J. (2007).. The Human Side of Project Leadership, The Human Side of Project Leadership.
- P. Dominick, T. Lechler, Z. Aronson. (2007). "Mediator Analysis of Project Manager’s Transformational Leadership Behaviors and Decision Authority on Project Success ".
- P. Dominick, R. Reilly. (2007). "It’s Not Where You Are but What You Do: Occupation and National culture as predictors of personality and leadership development needs".
- P. Dominick, M. Ryan and M. Huang. (2007). "Leadership Development Strategies for Accelerated Growth Economies".
- P. Dominick. (2008). "The Vigilance Project: Understanding Emotional Concerns in Team Conflicts", Society for Human Resources Management. Download (125 kb PDF).
MGT 111 Social Psychology and Organizational Behaviour
MGT 612 The Human Side of Project Leadership
MGT 646 Human Resources Processes: Techniques and Applications
MGT 647 Legal and Social Environment of Human Resources
MGT 654 Organizational Change and Development
EMT 740 Team Leadership Development in Technical Organizations