Dr. David A. Vaccari
Rutgers University, New Brunswick NJ
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science (1984). Thesis: Modeling and Simulation of Compressive Gravity Thickening of Activated Sludge
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering (1983). Thesis: Mean Cell Residence Time in a Nonsteady-state Activated Sludge System
- M.S. in Environmental Science (1979)
- B.S. in Environmental Science (1974).
- Control theory applied to the activated sludge process.
- Modeling of compression in gravity thickening of sludge.
- Nonlinear time-series analysis for system identification of secondary clarification.
Surface Water Quality:
- Modeling of pathogens in surface water
- Computing the Total Maximum Daily Load for streams
- Forecasting of phosphorus production and consumption
- Dynamic material flow analysis of resource usage
- Nonlinear time-series analysis and correlation (Multivariate Polynomial Regression, or MPR).
- Modeling and optimization of complex integrated systems, including integrated modeling of bioregenerative life support systems for long-term space travel.
Honors & Awards
- Licensed Professional Engineer, New Jersey, 1989
- S-4 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's License
Stationary Engineer (High Pressure Boiler Operator's License)
- International Assoc. on Water Quality USA National Committee Founders Award for outstanding paper in Water Research by an US author.
- Water Environment Federation (Technical Practice Committees for Wastewater Biology Manual of Practice and for Instrumentation and Control)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- Engineering Education Committee
- Participation as Accreditation Visitor
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering Professors
- International Association of Water Quality (Specialist Group on Computing)
- ABET Accreditation Visitor for Bachelor of Environmental Engineering and Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Environmental Engineering
- ABET Alternate Representative to the Technology Accreditation Commission
- D. A. Vaccari. (Mar 24-26, 1996). "Nonlinear Analysis of Retail Performance", D.A. Vaccari, presented at the IEEE/IAFE Conf. on Computational Intelligence for Financial Engineering, New York, New York.
- D.A. Vaccari and E. Wojciechowski.. (Jun 25-28, 1995). "Predicting Process Performance with Polynomials", WEF Specialty Conf. "Automating to Improve Water Quality", Minn., MN.
- Vaccari, D.A. and J. Levri.. (1999). "Multivariable Empirical Modeling of ALS Systems Using Polynomials", Life Support and Biosphere Science. 6 265-271.
- Cacossa, K. and D.A. Vaccari.. (Jul 1994). "Prediction of Continuous Thickening from Batch Experiments", Water Science and Technology.
- Cacossa, K. and D.A. Vaccari.. (1994). "Prediction of Continuous Thickening from A Single Batch Experiment", Water Science Technology. 30 (8), 107-116.
- Christodoulatos, C., D.A. Vaccari.. (1993). "Correlations of Performance for Activated Sludge Using Multiple Regression with Autocorrelation", Water Research
. 27 (1), 51-62.
- Vaccari, D.A. and C. Christodoulatos.. (1992). "Generalized Multiple Regression with Interaction and Nonlinearity for System Identification in Biological Treatment Processes", Trans. Instr. Soc. Am.. 31 (1), 97-102.
- Vaccari, D.A., and C. Christodoulatos.. (1989). "A Comparison of Several Control Algorithms for Activated Sludge Waste Rate", Wat. Sci. Tech.
. 21 1249-1260.
- Vaccari, D.A., A. Cooper, and C. Christodoulatos.. (1988). "Feedback Control of Activated Sludge Waste Rate", JWPCF
. 60 (11), 1979-1985.
- Vaccari, D.A., M. Kaouris.. (1988). "A Model for Irreversible Adsorption Hysteresis", J. Env. Sci and Health, Part A -- Env. Sci. and Engg.
. 23 (8).
- Vaccari, D.A., T. Fagedes, and J. Longtin.. (1985). "Mean Cell Residence Time in a Nonsteady-State Activated Sludge System", Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 27 695-703.
- EN 375 Environmental Systems
- EN 541 Fate and Transport of Environmental Contaminants
- EN 345 Modeling and Simulation of Environmental Systems
- EN 575 Environmental Biology
- EN 680 Modeling of Environmental Systems
- EN 423 Engineering Design VII
- EN 424 Engineering Design VIII
- EN 780 Nonlinear Correlation and System Identification