Dr. David A. Vaccari
|PROFESSOR AND DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR|
|Building: Rocco |
Rutgers University, New Brunswick NJ
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science (1984). Thesis: Modeling and Simulation of Compressive Gravity Thickening of Activated Sludge
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering (1983). Thesis: Mean Cell Residence Time in a Nonsteady-state Activated Sludge System
- M.S. in Environmental Science (1979)
- B.S. in Environmental Science (1974).
- Control theory applied to the activated sludge process.
- Modeling of compression in gravity thickening of sludge.
- Nonlinear time-series analysis for system identification of secondary clarification.
Surface Water Quality:
- Modeling of pathogens in surface water
- Computing the Total Maximum Daily Load for streams
- Forecasting of phosphorus production and consumption
- Dynamic material flow analysis of resource usage
- Nonlinear time-series analysis and correlation (Multivariate Polynomial Regression, or MPR).
- Modeling and optimization of complex integrated systems, including integrated modeling of bioregenerative life support systems for long-term space travel.
Honors & Awards
- Licensed Professional Engineer, New Jersey, 1989
- S-4 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's License
Stationary Engineer (High Pressure Boiler Operator's License)
- International Assoc. on Water Quality USA National Committee Founders Award for outstanding paper in Water Research by an US author.
- Water Environment Federation (Technical Practice Committees for Wastewater Biology Manual of Practice and for Instrumentation and Control)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- Engineering Education Committee
- Participation as Accreditation Visitor
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering Professors
- International Association of Water Quality (Specialist Group on Computing)
- ABET Accreditation Visitor for Bachelor of Environmental Engineering and Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Environmental Engineering
- ABET Alternate Representative to the Technology Accreditation Commission
- D. A. Vaccari. (Mar 24-26, 1996). "Nonlinear Analysis of Retail Performance", D.A. Vaccari, presented at the IEEE/IAFE Conf. on Computational Intelligence for Financial Engineering, New York, New York.
- D.A. Vaccari and E. Wojciechowski.. (Jun 25-28, 1995). "Predicting Process Performance with Polynomials", WEF Specialty Conf. "Automating to Improve Water Quality", Minn., MN.
- Vaccari, D.A. and J. Levri.. (1999). "Multivariable Empirical Modeling of ALS Systems Using Polynomials", Life Support and Biosphere Science. 6 265-271.
- Cacossa, K. and D.A. Vaccari.. (Jul 1994). "Prediction of Continuous Thickening from Batch Experiments", Water Science and Technology.
- Cacossa, K. and D.A. Vaccari.. (1994). "Prediction of Continuous Thickening from A Single Batch Experiment", Water Science Technology. 30 (8), 107-116.
- Christodoulatos, C., D.A. Vaccari.. (1993). "Correlations of Performance for Activated Sludge Using Multiple Regression with Autocorrelation", Water Research
. 27 (1), 51-62.
- Vaccari, D.A. and C. Christodoulatos.. (1992). "Generalized Multiple Regression with Interaction and Nonlinearity for System Identification in Biological Treatment Processes", Trans. Instr. Soc. Am.. 31 (1), 97-102.
- Vaccari, D.A., and C. Christodoulatos.. (1989). "A Comparison of Several Control Algorithms for Activated Sludge Waste Rate", Wat. Sci. Tech.
. 21 1249-1260.
- Vaccari, D.A., A. Cooper, and C. Christodoulatos.. (1988). "Feedback Control of Activated Sludge Waste Rate", JWPCF
. 60 (11), 1979-1985.
- Vaccari, D.A., M. Kaouris.. (1988). "A Model for Irreversible Adsorption Hysteresis", J. Env. Sci and Health, Part A -- Env. Sci. and Engg.
. 23 (8).
- Vaccari, D.A., T. Fagedes, and J. Longtin.. (1985). "Mean Cell Residence Time in a Nonsteady-State Activated Sludge System", Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 27 695-703.
EN 375 Environmental Systems
EN 541 Fate and Transport of Environmental Contaminants
EN 345 Modeling and Simulation of Environmental Systems
EN 575 Environmental Biology
EN 680 Modeling of Environmental Systems
EN 423 Engineering Design VII
EN 424 Engineering Design VIII
EN 780 Nonlinear Correlation and System Identification