Professor Nuran Kumbaraci
|ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, CHEMICAL BIOLOGY|
|Building: McLean Chemical Sciences Building|
|Email: [email protected]|
- Post-Doctoral Research: Columbia University, New York, New York, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Neurophysiology and Cellular Biophysics
- Ph.D., M.Phil., M.A., Physiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, New York
- B.S., Chemistry, Robert College, Istanbul, Turkey
- Apply chemical and biological methods to determine the mechanism(s) of disease(s) to develop biomarkers for their early detection.
- Neuromuscular physiology, biochemistry and biophysics of muscle contraction, synaptic transmission, immunochemical mechanisms
Dr. N. M. Kumbaraci joined the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Stevens in 1979 as Assistant Professor to start an Undergraduate Biology Program. She designed and taught all the biology courses and the teaching laboratories to establish the Chemical Biology program. She was instrumental in the negotiations between Stevens and UMDNJ-NJMS to start the first Accelerated B.S.-M.D. Combined Degree program in New Jersey. Agreements were also established between Dental Schools in NY and NJ. Dr. Kumbaraci is the advisor for the Accelerated Chemical Biology Program. Over 300 students entered medical, dental, veterinary schools since then.
ExperienceStevens Institute of Technology, Associate Professor, 1979-present Barnard/Columbia College and NYU, Organic Chemistry, Biology Instructor Artificial Organs Research Laboratory, Columbia University, New York, NY Lever Brothers Headquarters, New York, NY, Pharmaceutical Marketing Siemens und Halske, Germany, Electrodeposition Laboratory Eczacibasi Pharmaceutical Co., Analytical Research and Product Development Chemist
*Patents on Aerosol and Liquid Pharmaceutical Products
HPAC-Health Professions Advisory Committee: Chairman: 1979-2003; Member: 2003-present
IACUC-Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Member
Biosafety Committee, Member
AED-National Health Preprofessional Honor Society, NJ Beta Chapter, Founder and Faculty Advisor, 1992-present
SHPC-Stevens Health Professions Club, Founder and Faculty Advisor, 1984-present
SSBS-Stevens Society for Biological Studies, Faculty Advisor, 1979-1984
Undergraduate Academic Standards and Undergraduate Promotions Committees
Committee on Committees
- APS-American Physiological Society, Editorial Review Board, Life Science Teaching Resources, 2014-present
- AED-Alpha Epsilon Delta, National Health Preprofessional Honor Society, Northeast Region-I Director
- ETS-Educational Testing Service, AP Biology Exam review and evaluation
- External Review Committee Member, UMDNJ-Foundation Research Grants, 1979-1992
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Supervised the research of a CHI Scholar on cataract induced blindness and cytokine profiling, 2014-2015
Honors & Awards
- 2014 STEVENS Student Government Association Award- Distinguished Advisor of a Student Organization
- 2014 Life Science Teaching Resources Fellow (APS-American Physiological Society)
- 2013 Vision and Change Scholar Award (APS-American Physiological Society)
- STEVENS Alumni Association, 25-year Service Award
- NIH-Postdoctoral Fellowship
- NIH-Predoctoral Fellowship
- ESSO (Exon) Academic Scholarship
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology
American Physiological Society
Society for Neuroscience
AED-National Health Preprofessional Honor Society
National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- NSF Funded Educational Grants, Co-PI: Pre-College Teacher Development in Science Project for Modern Biology and Honors Workshops: Biochemistry Lecturer and Laboratory Director; 1979-1985
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Grant, Co-PI: Chemical Biology Education Enhancement; 1989-1994
- UPTAM, URP, Technogenesis: Undergraduate Student Summer Research grants and projects
- Women in Engineering Summer Courses for high school students; 1980-1990
- ECOES-Exploring Career Options in Engineering and Science summer programs; 1986-1996
Patents & Inventions
"PEGylated Alginate-Hemoglobin-Based Nanoparticles for Oxygen Delivery," X. Yu, N. Kumbaraci, E. Lee filed 11/26, 2008 as U. S. Provisional Patent Application Serial No. 61/200,274
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (2015). "Nerve Injury", Vision and Change TRC #3437, American Physiological Society.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (2014). "Obesity and Metabolism", Archive Collection #2876, American Physiological Society.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (2013). "Cardiovascular Changes with Exercise", Archive Resource # 7749, American Physiological Society.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (2013). "Immunity", APS Archive Collection # C2570, American Physiological Society.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (1989). "Book Review, Molecular Neurobiology,", J. Am. Chem. Soc.,, (111(23)), 8767.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Kovaleski, C. J.,. (1983). "Effects of Kepone on Acetylcholinesterase Activity In Vitro", The Bulletin of the NJ Acad. Sci., (28), 2.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Kiel, S. Y., Kovaleski, C. J.,. (1983). "Effects of Kepone on Acetylcholinesterase Activity in Goldfish Brain", The Bulletin of the NJ Acad. Sci., (28), 1.
- Spathopoulos, S., Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (1982). "Effects of Kepone on Acetylcholinesterase Activity in Goldfish Tissues", The Bulletin of the NJ Acad. Sci., (27(1)), 30.
- Cappiello, L. L., Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (1982). "Beta-lactamase Inhibition and Antibiotic Activity of Newly Synthesized Compounds", The Bulletin of the NJ Acad. Sci., , (27(1)), 29.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Kiel, S. Y., Kovaleski, C. J.,. (1982). "Effects of Chlordecone on Acetylcholinesterase Activity", The Physiologist, 4 (25), 314.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Nastuk, W. L.,. (1980). "Caffeine-induced Sarcomeric Oscillations and Propagated Waves in Skeletal Muscle", Fed. Proc., (39), 529.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Nastuk, W. L.,. (1978). "Effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on Excitable Membranes and Neuromuscular Transmission", Soc. Neurosci. Abs., (4), 370.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (1991). "Characterization of a Frog Skeletal Muscle Contraction Modulator", The Physiologist, (34(3)), 111.
- Kumbaraci, N. M., Passi, V., Xu, B.,. (1990). "Increased Complement Activity in Rat Serum After Tissue Injury", The FASEB Journal, (4(3)), 530.
- N. M. Kumbaraci, W. L. Nastuk. (1982). "Action of Caffeine in Excitation-Contraction Coupling of Frog Skeletal Muscle Fibres", The Journal of Physiology (London), 325 (1), 195-211.
- N. M. Kumbaraci, W.L. Nastuk. (1980). "Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Excitable Membranes and Neuromuscular Transmission", Molecular Pharmacology, 17, 344-349.
- Kumbaraci, N. M.,. (2007). "Roots of Chemical Biology", C&EN, (85(49)), 4.
- Nuran M. Kumbaraci. (2008). Chemical Biology Laboratory Manuals: Introductory Biology Laboratory (2013) and Cell Biology Laboratory (2014) , J. Wiley&Sons, 1-5 ed.
- CH 281 Biology and Biotechnology
- CH 282 Introductory Biology Laboratory
- CH 381 Cell Biology
- CH 382 Biological Systems
- CH 484 Introduction to Molecular Genetics
- CH 583 Physiology
- CH 684 Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques
- CH 686 Immunology
- CH 782 Selected Topics in Bioorganic Chemistry
- CH 900 Masters Thesis in Chemistry/Chemical Biology
- CH 496 Chemistry Project I
- CH 781 Selected Topics in Biochemistry II