Richard (Ricky) Graham
|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, MUSIC & TECHNOLOGY|
|Phone: 201.216.3401 |
Ph.D - Music Performance Technology (2012) - University of Ulster, Londonderry.
M.Mus - Music (2007) - University of Ulster, Londonderry.
B.Sc - Music Technology (2006) – SARC, Queen's University, Belfast.
Interactive Performance Systems
Spatial Music Applications
Auditory Perception and Scene Analysis
Augmented Musical Instruments
Development of Computational Models for Eastern and Western Tuning Systems
Richard (Ricky) Graham is a highly inspired musician and music producer, born in Northern Ireland, currently based in New Jersey (USA). His music encompasses everything from ambient to experimental to jazz to progressive rock. His music is a full on experience, diverse in sound, style and mood. It reflects his passion for music, his skill and his unique approach to his art.
Ricky Graham currently writes and performs under the alias, signalsundertests, a collaborative music project established in 2008, whilst working as an Assistant Professor of Music and Technology at Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey (USA). Graham has presented original academic research across the US, UK and continental Europe. Graham completed an artistic residency at STEIM (Studio for Electro-Instrumental music) in Amsterdam in 2010 and completed his doctoral research in 2012. Graham maintains an active academic research profile at Stevens, developing new computational systems for music composition and performance.
Graham has toured extensively throughout the US, Europe and Asia promoting various music releases since 2006, recorded various sessions for BBC radio, presented original musical works for British and Irish national TV and Radio and has been featured by renowned publications such as National Music Express and Guitar Player Magazine. Graham's music has also featured on the video gaming network, Rock Band. Graham has been involved with a series of music festivals and performance events worldwide, sharing the stage with Oliver Wakeman (Yes) in 2006, Mary Anne Hobbs (BBC Radio 1) in 2008 and electronic music legend, Ulrich Schnauss in 2009. Graham's most recent musical work, "Nascent," was released on Fluttery Records in 2012.
Nascent – Studio Album - Fluttery Records (Worldwide) – May, 2012.
Electronic tape for John McLachlan's, “Golden Circle” – Performed by Sond’Ar- te Electric Ensemble –
Portugal – September & December, 2011.
Nascent – Multi-channel collaborative piece for guitar with Michael Andrews (SARC) - 2011
Axon – Multi-channel collaborative piece for guitar with Michael Andrews (SARC) - 2010
Mecca – Studio Album - Sentric Music Publishing (UK) – February, 2010.
Quiet Arcs – Multi-channel Spatial Music Concert – Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast – May, 2012
Elements Tour - Belgium & Germany - September, 2011.
Axon - Pure Data Convention - SeaM Werkstattstudio, Weimar, Germany – August, 2011.
Axon - Electronic Arts Research Society - SARC, Belfast - May, 2011.
Axon - CMC - University of Ulster, Londonderry - April, 2011.
Ambient Antwerp - Arenberg, Antwerp - March, 2010.
Celtronic Festival - Supporting Ulrich Schnauss (Domino Records) - Saint Columb's Hall, Londonderry - June,
ISEA 2009 - University of Ulster, Londonderry - August, 2009.
Tour of Japan - Tokyo, Japan - May, 2009.
Celtronic Festival - Supporting Boxcutter (Planet Mu) and Mary Anne Hobbs (BBC Radio 1) - Sandino's,
Londonderry - June, 2008.
Tour of Japan - Tokyo, Japan - July, 2007.
Thorn Reader - An interactive installation sonifiying natural environmental structures; in collaboration with New Jersey artist, Ingo Appel - National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts, NYC, USA - shown from December 2012 through January 2013
Active Guitarist and Music Producer
Certified Ableton Trainer for the state of New Jersey, USA.
Honors & Awards
Grade 8 Guitar (Professional Level) - Trinity College of Music, London (2002).
Honors for Music and Drama – Bangor Grammar School (2002).
European Social Fund Scholarship Award - M.Mus (2006).
Department of Eduction and Learning Scholarship Award - Ph.D (2008).
Arts Council of Northern Ireland - Travel Award - Tour of Japan (2009).
Arts Council of Northern Ireland - Individual Artist Award (2009).
STEIM, Amsterdam - Artist in Residence (2010).
Arts Council of Northern Ireland - Travel Award - Tour of Belgium and Germany (2011).
Certified Ableton Trainer (2011 - 2013).
Representative for Keith McMillen Instruments (New Jersey, 2013).
STEIM - Studio for Electro-Instrumental Music, Holland.
SMI - Society for Musicology in Ireland, Rep. Ireland.
- Richard Graham. (Mar 2013). "Creative Bridge Building in Northern Ireland: A case study of the utilization of open-source creative technologies amongst Protestant and Catholic youth in Northern Ireland as a tool for social capital development", Music and Diplomacy Conference - Tufts, Harvard, Massachusetts, USA.
- Richard Graham. (Jul 2012). "Extraction and Application of Figurative Instrumental Gesture", eNTERFACE 2012 - Metz, France.
- Richard Graham. (May 2012). "Performance Space Frames", Pure Data Conference - Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- Richard Graham. (Apr 2012). Live Performance Systems for Augmented Musical Instruments -Stevens Institute of Technology - Hoboken, USA.
- Richard Graham. (Jul 2011). "Electronic Music Performance", Music Showcase Conference - Nerve Centre, Londonderry, UK.
- Richard Graham. (Mar 2011). "Performance and Pure Data", Imagine Create Festival - University of Ulster, Londonderry, UK.
- Richard Graham. (Jan 2011). "Considering Pitch Contour", Pure Data Conference - Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- Richard Graham. (May 2010). "The Communication of Musical Gesture in Real-Time Electronic Guitar Performance", SMI Annual Conference - University of Ulster, Londonderry, UK.
- Richard Graham. (Jan 2010). "The Effects of Polyphonic Technology on Contemporary Electric Guitar Performance", SMI PG Conference - DIT, Dublin, Ireland.
- Richard Graham. (Feb 2012). "Expansion of Electronic Guitar Performance Practice through the Application and Development of Interactive Digital Music Systems", Doctoral Dissertation, Ulster, UK.
- Richard Graham. (Aug 2011). "A Live Performance System in Pure Data: Pitch Contour as Figurative Gesture", Published in the Proceedings from the Pure Data Convention - Bauhaus-Universitat, Weimar, Germany.
HMU 211 MIDI and Electronic Music
HMU 450 Music Business
HMU 101 Music History I
HMU 210 Introduction to Music Technology
HMU 405 Electronic Music
HMU 205 Introduction to Digital Media
HMU 260 Software Instrument Design