|CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER. ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, HISTORY. DIRECTOR, PROGRAM IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY STUDIES|
The Johns Hopkins University Ph.D. History of Science and Technology, 2007
University of Colorado at Boulder M.A. History, 2003
Vassar College B.A. History, 1996
Member, Leonardo da Vinci Prize Committee, Society for the History of Technology (2012)
Joan Cahalin Robinson Prize Committee, Society for the History of Technology (Committee Chair, 2012)
Chair-Elect and Member, Executive Committee, Special Interest Group on Computers, Information, and Society (SIGCIS)
Reviews Editor, IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
Member, IEEE Computer Society History Committee
Corresponding Member, IEEE History Committee
Honors & Awards
- History Fellowship, Association for Computing Machinery, 2011 and 2013.
- History Fund Grant Award, American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2010.
- IEEE Fellowship in Electrical History, 2008-2009.
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute, Duke University, 2007-2008.
- Commended Paper, International Electrotechnical Commission Centenary Challenge, 12/2006.
- First place, World Standards Day Paper Competition, 10/2006.
- The Adelle and Erwin Tomash Fellowship in the History of Information Processing, Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota, 2006-2007.
- Business History Conference Newcomen Dissertation Colloquium, 6/2006.
- Department of Interdisciplinary Telecommunications Graduate Fellowship, University of Colorado at Boulder, 9/2002.
- American Historical Association
- Business History Conference
- History of Science Society
- Organization of American Historians
- Society for the History of Technology
- Andrew L. Russell and Valerie Schafer. (Oct 2014). "In the Shadow of the Arpanet and Internet: Louis Pouzin and the Cyclades Network in the 1970s", Technology & Culture, (55).
- Andrew L. Russell. (May 21, 2014). "The Internet's History Isn't As 'Open' As You Think", Slate.com.
- Andrew L. Russell. (Aug 2013). "The Internet That Wasn't", IEEE Spectrum, (50), 38-43.
- Andrew L. Russell. (2012). "Standards, Networks, and Critique", IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, 34 (3).
- Andrew L. Russell. (2012). "Modularity: An Interdisciplinary History of an Ordering Concept", Information & Culture: A Journal of History, 47 (3).
- Andrew L. Russell. (2009). "'Industrial Legislatures': Consensus Standardization in the Second and Third Industrial Revolutions", Enterprise & Society, 10 (4).
- Andrew L. Russell. (2008). "Standardization Across the Boundaries of the Bell System, 1920-1938", Graeme Gooday and James Sumner, History of Technology, 28.
- Andrew L. Russell. (Jun 2008). "Dot-Org Entrepreneurship: Weaving a Web of Trust", Enterprises et Histoire, 51.
- Andrew L. Russell. (Jul 2006). "'Rough Consensus and Running Code' and the Internet-OSI Standards War", IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, 28 (3), 48-61. article on IEEE website .
- Andrew L. Russell. (Jan 2006). "Telecommunications Standards in the Second and Third Industrial Revolutions", The Journal of the Communications Network, 5 (1), 100-106. Download article .
- Andrew L. Russell. (2014). Open Standards and the Digital Age: History, Ideology, and Networks, Cambridge University Press.
- Andrew L. Russell. (2012). "Bancroft Gherardi and the Monopoly Bell System: Pioneers in Information Technology Standardization", International Perspectives on the History of Information Science and Technology, Toni Carbo and Trudi Bellardo Hahn, Medford, New Jersey: American Society for Information Science & Technology.
- Andrew L. Russell. (2011). "Constructing Legitimacy: the W3C's Patent Policy", Opening Standards: The Global Politics of Interoperability, Laura DeNardis, MIT Press.
- Andrew L. Russell. (2006). "Industrial Legislatures: The American System of Standardization", International Standardization as a Strategic Tool, Geneva: International Electrotechnical Commission. IEC Centenary Challenge .
- Andrew L. Russell. (2005). "Standardization in History: A Review Essay with an Eye to the Future", The Standards Edge: Future Generations, Sherrie Bolin, Ann Arbor: Sheridan Books. 247-260. Download chapter .
- HHS 125 United States History to 1865
- HHS 126 United States History Since 1865
- HHS 130 History of Science and Technology
- HHS 312 Technology and Society in America
- HHS 414 Industrial America
- HSS 371 Computers and Society
- HHS 479 Studies in the History of Technology
- CAL 529 History of Modern Science and Technology
- HST 120 Intro to Science & Tech Studies
- HST 360 Research and Innovation Policy