Preaward operations, while only one function within OSP, is often considered as the ‘public face’ of our office due to the significant amount of time and one-on-one interface that occurs between the principal investigators and the preaward staff. With offices on the fourth floor in the E. A. Stevens building, Preaward is purposefully located within its faculty constituency in order to provide maximum opportunity for the research community to form a close and collegial relationship with the staff. With a goal of service and professionalism, preaward is the first experience with, and impression of, the University’s commitment to the research enterprise for most PIs. The staff is dedicated to the Institution’s, and each investigator’s, success.
Primary functions of Preaward are:
- Identification of Funding Opportunities, i.e., enrollment in PIVOT, grants.gov, Fastlane and eRA Commons and other research engines,
- Proposal Development, such as program announcement review and close collaboration with the PIs in the preparation of the required documentation, including, among others, budgets, budget justifications, current and pending support, and collection of subcontracting information.
- Proposal Construction, such as provision of boilerplate language and completion of various types of forms required for submission.
- Multidisciplinary Proposals Coordination, including, but not limited to, development of complicated budgets and coordination with multiple internal and external collaborators with the ultimate purpose of proposal preparation in a timely and efficient manner.
- Proposal Review and Submission performed both by the Preaward staff and the Preaward Director, who ultimately “clicks the button”.
- Maintenance of COEUS Preaward Module research database, such as daily entry of proposals submitted, recording of cost sharing and underrecovery due to overhead waivers, as well as continuous update of the proposals’ status (pending, rejected, awarded) required for the generation of the monthly OSP activity reports.
- Training and Education for OSP staff, the research community and their administrative staff.
- Subject Matter Experts in matters such as allowability of costs according to the applicable federal, state and/or local regulations and institutional processes.
- Sponsor Interface for program announcement interpretation and provision of additional documentation requested by the sponsor prior to the final issuance of the award.
Questions regarding any of these activities should be directed to the OSP’s Preaward Operations Director, Chrissa Papaioannou, who can be reached at 201.216.8051 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.