The Office of Sponsored Programs (including the Faculty Support Center and Preaward Operations) is located in Room 322 in the Edwin A. Stevens (EAS) Building.
Primary functions of Preaward are:
- Identification of Funding Opportunities – includes faculty and staff enrollment in PIVOT, grants.gov, NSF FastLane, and eRA Commons and other research engines.
- Proposal Development – includes program announcement review and close collaboration with the PI(s) in the preparation of required documents, i.e., budgets, budget justifications, current and pending support, the coordination with potential subcontractor(s) and the collection of subcontracting information, and uploading of documents on specific Sponsor proposal portals.
- Proposal Construction – includes provision of boilerplate language and completion of various types of forms required for submission.
- Multidisciplinary Proposal Coordination – includes development of complicated and multi-dimensional budgets and coordination of and cooperation with multiple internal and external collaborators .
- Proposal Review and Submission – performed by the preaward staff as well as other subject matter experts whose input might be needed.
- Maintenance of Preaward Research Database – capture of research data is initiated at the preaward stage and maintained throughout a project’s life. Data elements required at the proposal stage include, but are not limited to, “Cost-Share Commitment/Overhead Waiver Forms” and the “Proposal Routing Form.”
- Training and Education – continuous training and professional development is required for all preaward staff. In-person training for the research community is provided as requested and preaward is currently developing web-based training.
- Subject Matter Experts – all elements of OSP are trained and knowledgeable on matters such as allowability of costs, administrative processes and regulations/procedures developed and required by applicable federal, state, and local organizations, as well as university requirements and policies.
- Sponsor interface – includes contacting the sponsor with questions about program announcements and the provision of additional documentation requested by a sponsor prior to final issuance of the award.