Elitebook 8540w Nvidia Driver Issue
The latest NVIDIA drivers have an issue with the Power Management mode in Power Saving mode and in On-Battery Balanced mode. This issue causes your screen to stop functioning and requires you to reboot your machine into safe mode to correct the issue. The Safe Mode workaround works because Windows Safe Mode does not fully utilize the NVIDIA drivers and therefore does not cause your screen to freeze.
Below you can find instructions on how to correct the issue if it occurs and if you are able to correct it prior to it happening.
If you have not yet had this issue occur to your machine, please follow the instructions below to ensure that this will not affect you.
1. Click the Start pearl in the bottom left of your screen and select Control Panel.
2. Select Power Options from the list.
3. Click Change plan settings next to the Power Saver plan.
4. Click Change advanced power settings.
5. Expand the Display category, then expand the NVIDIA Display Power Saving technology category. Change the setting to Disabled for both On battery and Plugged in.
6. Select the Balanced power plan and disable the NVIDIA Display Power Saving technology under On battery.
If this has happened to you, please follow the below steps to recover your laptop's screen from the freezing glitch. This is a slightly advanced process and requires you to boot your machine into Safe Mode. If you do not feel comfortable following these directions, please bring your machine down to the Helpdesk.
- You can shut down your machine by holding down the power button on your laptop for 7 seconds.
- Turn on the computer by pressing the power button and once you see the HP Logo, tap F8 until Windows displays boot options.
- Select Safe Mode from the boot options selection screen and wait for your machine to boot.
- Log in to the machine like normal.
- Click the Start pearl in the bottom left corner and select Control Panel.
- From the list, select Power Options.
- Select the High Performance power plan.
- Restart your computer.
- Follow the prevention steps above to ensure this issue does not affect you in the future.