VPN on Windows 7 - Tunnel All Traffic
Campus Domain Account Required
A Campus Domain Account is required to access some services on this page. To change or reset your password, use the Stevens Password Service.
Graduate students do not have campus domain accounts created automatically and MUST REQUEST ONE.
Who can use this?
You must have a Windows Campus domain login to use the VPN server.
Campus Domain Accounts for Graduate Students
Graduate students do not have Campus Domain Accounts created automatically and MUST REQUEST ONE.
Only graduate students who are currently enrolled in a course are eligible for a campus domain account.
Configuration Instructions for Tunneling All Traffic in Windows 7
Step 1: Open Network and Sharing Center
- Click the Start icon and press Control Panel
- Under Network and Internet, click View Network Status and Tasks
Step 2: Connect to a Workplace
- Click Set up a New Connection or Network
- Choose to Connect to a Workplace and click Next
Step 3: "Use My Internet Connection"
- Choose Use my Internet connection (VPN)
Step 4: Type the Internet Address
- For the Internet address type: vpn.stevens.edu
- For the Destination name type: Stevens VPN All Traffic
- Also, make sure to check the box next to Don't connect now; just set it up so I can connect later
Step 5: Type your user name and password
Type in your Stevens username and Campus Domain Password and click Create. You may choose to check the "Remember this password" box, but this is not recommended as anyone with access to the machine now has access to your Domain account.
Step 6: Click Close
Once it says The connection is ready to use, do not click on connect now, rather click on Close
Step 7: Open the Network and Sharing Center Again
Now that the connection has been created, we need to edit a few of the settings, so open the Network and Sharing Center and click Connect to a Network
Step 8: Select the Stevens VPN All Traffic
A window in the bottom right will appear. Right click on the connection Stevens VPN All Traffic and click on Properties
Step 9: Change IPsec Settings
On the Security tab
- For the "Type of VPN:" Select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec)
- Click on the Advanced Settings button
Once the box pops up, click on Use preshared key for authentication and type SITvpn for the key. Click on Ok
Step 10: Click OK
Step 11: Start the Connection
Double click on Stevens VPN All Traffic
Step 12: Enter your Campus Domain Credentials
Enter in your Stevens Username and Campus Domain Password in the boxes
Step 13: Select a location
Select a location for this network
If you are unable to connect, please check our VPN Troubleshooting tips.