Dr. Patricia Holahan
|Building: Babbio Center|
|School: Howe School of Technology Management|
- Ph.D. (1992) Purdue University (Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management)
- M.Ed. (1981) University of Maryland
- B.A. (1975) University of Maryland
- Conflict Management and Team Effectiveness
- Technology Adoption and Diffusion
- Innovativeness and New Product Development Processes
Dr. Holahan conducts research on managing product development teams and the implementation and diffusion of new technology. She has served as a consultant to several Fortune 500 companies advising them on issues related to the installation of self-managing teams, team effectiveness, and team reward and recognition systems
Honors & Awards
- Bright Idea Award, Conflict Resolution, 2008
- Outstanding Research Award, Howe School of Technology Management 2007, 2005
- Alexander H. Crombie, Distinguished Associate Professor
- Awarded NSF research grant to study technology transfer and diffusion processes
- Awarded GE Foundation grant to develop case studies of crossfunctional teamwork
- Ameritech Scholar, 1990-1991
- David Ross Fellow, 1989
- Academy of Management
- Product Development and Management Association
- American Psychological Association
- Interdisciplinary Network of Group Researchers
- American Educational Research Association
- Lesselroth, B., Holahan, P., Adams, K. et al.. (2011). "Primary Care Provider Perceptions and Use of a Novel Medication Reconciliation Technology ", Informatics in Primary Care, 2 (19), 105-118.
- Holahan, P.J., Mooney, A.C., & Paul, L.F. (2010). "Exploring Geographic Dispersion and Team Tenure as Moderators of the Relationship Between Affective and Task Conflict", Current Topics in Management, Vol. 15.
- Mooney, A. C., Holahan, P. J., & Amason, A. C.. (2007). "Don’t Take it Personally: Exploring Cognitive Conflict as a Mediator of Affective Conflict", Journal of Management Studies, 5 (44), 733-758.
- Holahan, P., & Mooney, A. (2005). "The Mutation of Conflict: Antecedents of functional and dysfunctional conflict and the difficulties of managing both", Projects and Profits, ICFAI University Press.
- Holahan, P. J., Aronson, Z., Jurkat, P., Schoorman, D.. (2004). "Implementing Computer Technology: A Multiorganizational Test of Klein and Sorra’s model", Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, (21), 31-50.
- Shi, X, Holahan, P. J., & Jurkat, P.. (2004). "Satisfaction Formation Processes in Library Users: Understanding Multisource Effects", Journal of Academic Librarianship, 30 122-131.
- Holahan, P. J., Jurkat, P., Friedman, E.. (2000). "Evaluation of a mentor teacher model for enhancing mathematics instruction through the use of computers", Journal of Research on Computing in Education, (32), 336-350.
- Holahan, P. J., Schoorman, D. (1996). "Psychological antecedents of escalation behavior: Effects of choice, responsibility, and decision consequences", Journal of Applied Psychology, (81), 786-794.
- Holahan, P. J., Medsker, G., Williams, L. (1994). "A review of current practices for evaluating causal models in organizational behavior and human resources management research", Journal of Management, (20), 439-464.
- Williams, L., & Holahan, P. (1994). "Parsimony based fit indices for multiple indicator models: Do they work?", Structural Equation Modeling, (1), 161-189.
- Mooney, A.C., Holahan, P.J., & Amason, A.C. (2008). "Don’t take it personally: Exploring cognitive conflict as a mediator of affective conflict. ", Reprinted In The Seventh Annual Volume of Publications by New Jersey’s Business Faculty,.
- Mooney, A., Holahan, P., & Amason, A. (2007). "An Alternative Approach to Understanding Conflict", In The Human Side of Project Leadership, PMI Institute.
- Markham, S., & Holahan, P.J. (2004). "Influence and politics in product development. ", In K. B. Kahn (ed.), Handbook of New Product Development, 2nd Edition, 144-157. , NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- Holahan, P. J., & Markham, S. (1996). "Factors affecting crossfunctional team effectiveness. ", In M. Rosenau (ed.), Handbook of New Product Development, 119-135. , NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Markham, S., & Holahan, P. J. (1996). "Political behavior in the product development process. ", In M. Rosenau (ed.), Handbook of New Product Development, 107-117., NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Holahan, P.J., & Sullivan, Z.Z.. (2007). "Best Practices for Radical, More Innovative and Incremental Innovations: Evidence from the Field", Working Paper.
- Holahan, P. J. (1999). "Successfully transferring new technology to school systems: A study of key individual, organizational, and contextual determinants. ", Technical report prepared under NSF Contract REC-9603458.
- Holahan, P.J., & MacFarlane, R. (1999). "Using telecommunications technology to mentor at-risk middle school science students: Effects on students’ science achievement, vocational interest and the classroom environment. ", Report prepared for a research grant from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Holahan, P.J., & Jurkat, P.J. (1996). "Enhancing mathematics instruction through computer oriented active learning environments: An evaluation", Report prepared under NSF contract #ESI-9253265.
- Holahan, P., Brown, C., Abraham, C., & Lesselroth, B.. (2011). "Integrating self-service kiosks into healthcare delivery organizations", Proceedings International Conference on Information Systems, Shanghai, China.
- Holahan, P.J., Mooney, A.C., & Paul, L.F. (2009). "An Examination of the Effects of Geographic Dispersion and Team Tenure on the Relationship between Task and Relationship Conflict", Proceedings Southern Management Association, Asheville, NC.
- Holahan, P.J., Mooney, A.C., & Paul, L.F. (2009). "Does Task Conflict Trigger More Relationship Conflict in Geographically Distributed Teams?", Academy of Management Annual Meetings, Chicago, IL.
- Holahan, P.J., Mooney, A.C., Mayer, R. & Paul, L.F. (2008). "Virtuality and Media Synchronicity: Their Effects on Conflict in Virtual Teams", Proceedings Interdisciplinary Network for Group Research, Kansas City, MO.
- Holahan, P. J. (2007). "Not So Fast: Do Decision Attributes Really Mediate Conflict and Team Performance?", Interdisciplinary Network for Group Research (INGRoup Conference), Lansing, MI.
- Holahan, P.J, & Sullivan, Z.Z. (2006). "Exploring How Product Development Practices Differ for Incremental, More Innovative, and Radical Development Projects", Proceedings Portland International Conference Managament Engineering Technology, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Holahan, P.J., & Mooney, A.C. (2004). "Conflict, Decision Making, and Project Team Performance", Academy of Management Annual Meetings, New Orleans, LA.
- Mooney, A.C., & Holahan, P.J. (2004). "Managing Conflict in Project Teams: Gaining the Benefits, Avoiding the Costs", Academy of Management Annual Meetings, New Orleans, LA.
- Holahan, P. J., Mooney, A.. (2003). "Understanding conflict in project teams: An investigation of team, task, and organizational determinants", Portland International Conference on Engineering Technology and Management, Portland, OR.
- Holahan, P. J., Lynn, G., Akgun, A.. (2003). "Determinants of cross-functional integration and speed-to-market in product development teams", Portland International Conference on Engineering Technology and Management, Portland, OR.
- Holahan, P. Aronson, Z., Jurkat, P., Schoorman, D.. (2002). "Implementing computer Technology: A Field Test and an Extension of Klein and Sorra's Model", Academy of Management Conference, Denver.
- Holahan, P. J. (2000). "Determinants of cross-functional integration and cross-functional team performance: A preliminary test of a theoretical model", Proceedings American Soceity of Engineering Management Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Holahan, P. J.. (2000). "Integrating a team skills thread into an executive masters' of technology management program", American Society of Engineering Management Conference, Washington, D.C.
MGT 111 Social Psychology and Organizational Behaviour
MGT 612 The Human Side of Project Leadership
MGT 690 Designing Complex Organizations
EMT 740 Team Leadership Development in Technical Organizations
MGT 689 Organizational Behavior and Design