Dr. Carol Brown
|Building: Babbio Center|
|School: Howe School of Technology Management|
- A.B. summa cum laude in music, Vassar College (June 1966)
- M.M. in flute performance, Northwestern University (June 1967)
- M.B.A. in management information systems, Indiana University (Dec. 1987)
- Ph.D. in management information systems, Indiana University (Oct. 1989)
IT Strategy and Management Topics, including IT governance, mergers & acquisitions, ERP systems, and outsourcing.
IT in Healthcare research, including adminstrative and clinical system adoption, physician roles in IT governance, overcoming implementation barriers, and e-patient trends.
- Distinguished Professor, Howe School of Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, July 2007 – present
- Visiting Scholar, Center for Information Systems Research, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, July 1998 - Dec. 1998
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, IUPUI & Bloomington campuses
- Assistant Professor of Decision & Information Systems, August 1990 - June 1997
- Associate Professor of Information Systems, July 1997 - June 2007
- Krannert School of Management, Purdue University, West Lafayette campus
- Instructor of Management, January 1989 - July 1989
- Assistant Professor of Management, August 1989 - July 1990
Executive Committee (Howe School)
Graduate Curriculum Committee (Howe School)
Leadership Committee (Stevens Institute)
- Officer, SIM Indianapolis Chapter (CIO Roundtable), V.P. for Programs 2001, President 2002, Past-President 2003, 2004; Nominating Committee (2005, 2006)
- CIO Advisory Board, Jamcracker, October 2000-December 2001
- Executive Board, SIM International - V.P. for Academic Community Affairs 1998, 1999, 2000
Journal Editorship - Editor-in-Chief
- MIS Quarterly Executive (www.misqe.org), January 2009 - present
- Information Systems Management (www.ism-journal.com), Oct. 2003 – March 2007
Journal Editorships – Senior and Associate Editorships
- MIS Quarterly Executive (www.misqe.org)
- Senior Editor, January 2004 - December 2008
- Co-Editor for Special Issue on IS Capabilities (with Christina Soh) – September 2007
- Editorial Board, May 2001 – December 2003
- MIS Quarterly
- Associate Editor, January 2001- December 2003
Short courses on Electronic Health Record adoptions, Patient-Centered eHealth trends, implementing CPOE systems, Mergers & Acquisitions
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa (1966)
- Pi Kappa Lambda (1967)
- Beta Gamma Sigma (1989)
- Best Paper Award, Society for Information Management (SIM) (1996)
- Schuyler F. Otteson Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence (1997)
- Best Teaching Case, International Conference on Information Systems (2000)
- Best Paper Award, Society for Information Management (SIM) (2002)
- Winner, Business Book Category, Books24xReferenceware Excellence Award (2003)
- Best Paper Award, Society for Information Management (SIM) (2008)
- Spirit of HIMSS award, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (2009)
Program Director - IT in Healthcare Industry
Program Director - IT in Pharma/Biotech Industry
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- INFORMS, The Institute of Management Sciences (TIMS)
- The Society for Information Management (SIM)
- Healthcare Information and Management System Society (HIMSS)
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- SAP America
- 2002 (Implementation of mySAP Supply Chain Management at NIBCO, with M.Tatikonda and I.Vessey)
- British American Tobacco (BAT)
- 2001 (Development of teaching case on BAT-Taiwan SAP Implementation for executive development at BAT, with I. Vessey)
- Advanced Practices Council, Society for Information Management (SIM)
- 1997-98 (Nurturing Innovative Uses of the Web: Coordination and Autonomy in Corporate Internetworking Strategies, with B. Bashein, M.L. Markus, V. Sambamurthy)
- 1995-96 (Portfolios of IT Coordination Mechanisms for Facilitating Strategic Intraorganizational Relationships, with V. Sambamurthy).
- Lattanze Center, Loyola College-Baltimore
- 1997-98 (Integrated Systems Packages: An Investigation of the Adoption Decision and Implementation Strategies, with I. Vessey)
- Summer competitive research grants, I.U. School of Business 1994, 1995, 1999
- IRMIS, I.U. School of Business, 1992-93
- Aligning the IS Function with the Enterprise: Linking Mechanisms Beyond the Organization Chart
- Decentralization of the IS Functions: Management Issues and Implementation Mechanisms
- Center for the Management of Manufacturing Enterprises (CMME), Purdue University, 1990 (Expert Systems in Manufacturing, with A. Chaturvedi)
- Brown, C.V. and J. Becker.. (2000). "Aademic/Practitioner Partnerships", AMCIS.
- Brown, C.V., Vessey, I. and A. Powell.. (2000). "The ERP Purchase Decision: Influential Business and IT Factors", AMCIS.
- Brown, C.V. and I. Vessey.. (Dec 2000). NIBCO's 'Big Bang'." Teaching case track, ICIS, Brisbane, Australia. Awarded Best Teaching Case in track.
- Brown, C.V. and I. Vessey.. (Dec 1999). "ERP Implementation Approaches: Towards a Contingency Framework", ICIS, Charlotte, NC.
- Agarwal, R., Brown, C.V., Ferratt, T.W. and Moore, J.E.. (Apr 1999). "SIM Member Company Practices: Recruiting, Retaining, and Attracting IT Professionals", Research-in-progress track, ACM-SIGCPR 99, New Orleans, .
- Speier, C. and C.V. Brown.. (Jan 1996). "Perceived Risks and Management Actions: Differences in End-User Application Development Across Functional Groups", Proceedings of the 29th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Minitrack: Risks in End-User Computing. .
- Speier, C. and C.V. Brown.. (Apr 1994). "Differences in End-User Application Development across Functional Groups: Opportunities, Risks, and Management Actions", Proceedings of the Information Technology Management Group, The Association of Management .
- Morris, M. and C.V. Brown.. (Aug 1994). "The Importance of Usability in the Establishment of Organizational Software Standards for End-User Computing: An Exploratory Study", Proceedings of the Information Technology Management Group, The Association of Management.
- Brown, C.V. and J.S. Phelps.. (Mar 1994). "Alignment of the IS Organization: The Special Case of Corporate Acquisitions", Paper presented at Midwest Business Administration Association.
- Brown, C.V. and S.L.Magill. (Aug 1993). "Conflicting Information Systems (IS) Organization Designs within a Single Firm: Explaining a Paradox", Paper presented at The Association of Management, 11th Annual International Conference.
- Brown, C.V.. (Apr 1993). "The Successful CIO: Integrating Organizational and Individual Perspectives", Proceedings of the 1993 ACM SIGCPR Conference. 400-407.
- Brown, C.V. and S.L. Magill. (Apr 1992). "Designing the IS Organization: Aligning the Systems Development Function with the Business", Proceedings of the 1992 ACM SIGCPR Conference. 97-108.
- Brown, C.V. and J.C. Brancheau. (Jan 1992). "A Research Model for Managing End-User Computing: Making Sense of the Past Decade", Proceedings of the 25th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. 4 269-76.
- Brown, C.V. and A.R. Chaturvedi.. (1990). "Expert System Problem Selection: An Innovation Management Perspective", Proceedings of the 1990 ACM SIGBDP Conference on Trends and Directions in Expert Systems . 174-80.
- Brown, C.V. and R.P. Bostrom.. (Jan 1989). "A Contingency Model for the Management of End-User Computing: Model Development and Exploratory Validation", Proceedings of the 22nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. 4 70-77.
- LeFave, R., B.Branch, C.V. Brown, B. Wixom. (2008). "How Spring Nextel Reconfigured IT Resources for Results", MIS Quarterly Executive , 7 (4), 171-180.
- Rao, M.T., Brown, C.V. and Perkins, W.C.. (Apr 2007). "Host Country Resource Availability and Information System Control Mechanisms in Multinational Corporations: An Empirical Test of Resource Dependence Theory", Journal of Management Information Systems, 23 (4).
- Agarwal, R., Brown, C.V., Ferratt, T.W., and J.E. Moore. (Sep 2006). "Five Mindsets for Retaining IT Staff", MIS Quarterly Executive, 5 (3), 138-150.
- Ranganathan, C. and C.V. Brown. (Jun 2006). "ERP Investments and the Market Value of Firms: Towards an Understanding of Influential ERP Project Factors", Information Systems Research, 17 (2), 145-161.
- Ferratt, T.W., Agarwal, R., Brown, C.V., and J.E. Moore.. (Sep 2005). "IT Human Resource Management Configurations and IT Turnover: Theoretical Synthesis and Empirical Analysis", Information Systems Research, 16 (3), 237-255.
- Brown, C.V.. (Sep 2003). "Performance Metrics for IT Human Resource Alignment", Information Systems Management, 20 (4), 36-42.
- Brown, C.V. and Vessey, I.. (Mar 2003). "Managing the Next Wave of Enterprise Systems: Leveraging Lessons from ERP", MIS Quarterly Executive, 2 (1), 45-57.
- Clancy, G., C.V. Brown, and R.Scholer. (Mar 2003). "A Post-Merger IT Integration Success Story: Sallie Mae", MIS Quarterly Executive, Earlier version of paper was 1st place winner of 2002 SIM Paper Awards competition; paper was presented at 2002 annual SIM meeting in Salt Lake City. 2 (1), 15-27.
- Brown, C.V. and Vessey, I.. (Jan 2001). "NIBCO’s 'Big Bang'", Communications of the AIS, Best Teaching Case, ICIS, 2000. 5.
- Brown, C.V.. (Sep 1999). "Horizontal Mechanisms under Differing IS Contexts", MIS Quarterly, 23 (3), 421-454.
- Brown, C.V. and S.L. Magill. (Mar 1998). "Reconceptualizing the Context-Design Issue for the Information Systems Function", Organization Science, 9 (2), 176-194.
- Junnarkar, B. and C.V. Brown. (Dec 1997). "Re-Assessing the Enabling Role of Information Technology in Knowledge Management", Journal of Knowledge Management, 2 (1), 142-148.
- Clark, C.E., Cavanaugh, N.C., Brown, C.V. and Sambamurthy, V.. (Dec 1997). "Building Change-Readiness Capabilities in the IS Organization: Insights from the Bell Atlantic Experience", MIS Quarterly, Earlier version of paper was 2nd place winner in 1996 SIM Paper Awards competition. 21 (4), 425-455.
- Brown, C.V.. (Mar 1997). "Examining the Emergence of Hybrid IS Governance Solutions: Evidence from a Single Case Site", Information Systems Research, 8 (1), 69-94.
- Speier, C. and C.V. Brown. (Feb 15, 1997). "Differences in End-User Computing Support and Control Across User Departments", Information & Management, 32 (2), 85-99.
- Brown, C.V. and J.W. Ross. (1996). "The Information Systems Balancing Act: Building Partnerships and Infrastructure", Information Technology & People, 9 (1), 49-62.
- Brown, C.V. and J.S. Renwick [formerly Phelps]. (Sep 1996). "Alignment of the IS Organization: The Special Case of Corporate Acquisitions", DataBase, 27 (4), 25-33.
- Brown, C.V., E.R. McLean and D.W. Straub. (Apr 1996). "Partnering Roles of the IS Executive", Information Systems Management, 13 (2), 14-18.
- Brown, C.V. and S.L. Magill. (Dec 1994). "Alignment of the IS Functions with the Enterprise: Towards a Model of Antecedents", MIS Quarterly, 18 (4), 371-403.
- Brown, C.V. and R.P. Bostrom. (Apr 1994). "Organization Designs for the Management of End-User Computing: Re-Examining the Contingencies", Journal of Management Information Systems, 10 (4), 183-211.
- Brancheau, J.C. and C.V. Brown. (Dec 1993). "The Management of End-User Computing: Status and Directions", ACM Computing Surveys, 25 (4), 437-482.
- Brown, C.V. and R.P. Bostrom. (Oct 1990). "Choosing the Right Approach for End-User Computing Management", Information Executive, 30-33.
- Brown, C.V. and R.P. Bostrom.. (Oct 1989). "Effective Management of End-User Computing: Total Organization Perspective", Journal of Management Information Systems, 6 (2), 77-92.
- Brown, C.V. and V. Sambamurthy. (1994). "Building Strategic IT-Business Relationships: A Guidebook of IT Coordination Mechanisms", Society for Information Management , Advanced Practices Council. Report of findings based on interviews with CIOs at forty-four large firms.
- Tatikonda, M., C.V. Brown, and I. Vessey.. (2005). "ERP as a Platform for Vendor Managed Inventory", Strategic Use of ERP, E. Bendoly and R. Jacobs, Stanford University Press.
- Brown, C.V.. (2004). "Seamless IT Alignment", Next Generation Business Handbook, Subir Chowdhury, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons. 1157-1168.
- Brown, C.V.. (2003). "The IT Organization of the Future", Competing in the Information Age: Align in the Sand, 2nd ed, Jerry N. Luftman, Oxford University Press. 191-207.
- Brown, C.V.. (2003). "Performance Metrics for IT Human Resource Alignment", IS Management Handbook, 8th ed, Brown and Topi, New York: Auerbach Publishers/CRC Press. 89-100.
- Brown, C.V. and Ross, J.. (2003). "Designing a Process-Based IT Organization", IS Management Handbook, 8th ed, Brown and Topi, New York: Auerbach Publishers/CRC Press. 125-134.
- Rao, M., Brown, C.V. and Perkins, W.. (2002). "Control and Coordination of Information Systems in Multinational Corporations", Global Information Technology and Electronic Commerce: Issues for the New Millennium, Palvia, Palvia, and Roche, Ivy League Publishing. 393-407.
- Brown, C.V. and V. Sambamurthy. (1999). "Repositioning the IT Organization to Enable Business Transformation", Practice-Driven Research in IT management Series, M.Weiss and R.W. Zmud, Pinnaflex Educational Resources, Inc., Cincinnati, OH.
- Agarwal, R., Brown, C.V., Ferratt, T.W. and Moore, J.E.. (Oct 1998). SIM Member Company Practices: Recruiting, Retaining, and Attracting IT Professionals, Crisp Publications, SIM International.
- Brown, C.V. and B.E. Wynne. (1990). "Effective Management of End-User Computing: Prior Models and a Case Example", Desktop Information Technology, K.M. Kaiser and J.J. Oppelland, North-Holland. 157-76.
MIS 760 Information Technology Strategy
MGT 726 Seminars: Advanced Topics in Information, Technology and Telecommunications Management
MIS 685 The Healthcare Value Chain
MIS 689 IT Management for the Healthcare Professional