Making a gift of appreciated securities or stock to Stevens Institute of Technology is both a wonderfully generous gesture and a tax-efficient method of supporting the university. In most instances, you can receive a tax deduction for the full market value of your gift and avoid capital gains taxes.
Gift of stock by electronic transfer
If you are interested in making a gift of stock or securities held by a bank or broker electronically, please refer to the instructions for making an electronic stock transfer to Stevens. The Stock Gift Information form contained in these instructions must be completed and returned in order for us to process your gift in a timely fashion.
It is also important that you notify Stevens in advance of making your gift of securities. Without such prior notice, gifts of stock may be transferred to the institution by banks or brokers before the identity of the individual donor is known to us, making subsequent credit and timely acknowledgement of your generous gift much more difficult. Please let us know as soon as possible if you are planning or contemplating this kind of gift.
Gifts of stock certificates
If you personally hold the stock certificates which will be gifted, you must complete both a stock power form and a donor letter, and send them in a separate envelope, but on the same date, as the unsigned stock certificates, to:
Office of Development
Stevens Institute of Technology
Castle Point on Hudson
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Additional information you should know
- It is suggested, although not mandatory, that you send any stock certificates to us via certified mail, creating a record of the mailing, rather than by standard shipping or mail.
- If stocks to be gifted are registered in more than one name, both registrees must sign the stock power document.
- If you are gifting more than one type of stock certificate to Stevens, you must complete a stock power for each type.
- Stock powers must be signature guaranteed. This guarantee can be obtained at most commercial banks.
- If you have additional questions about gifts of stock or securities to Stevens, please call the Office of Development at 201-216-5241 anytime.