2013 Summer Research Institute
June 3 - July 26, 2013
Apply Now! Click here to complete the online application form.
The Summer Research Institute (SRI) provides undergraduate and graduate students a unique opportunity to participate in an intensive eight-week research program designed to tackle critical issues in maritime domain awareness, emergency response, and maritime system resilience, to enhance our nation's maritime security.
This highly-collaborative, hands-on summer research program emphasizes critical thinking and multidisciplinary research to generate innovative ideas and solutions to address complex maritime security issues. Click on the brochure image above to download a copy of the SRI 2013 program brochure.
Summer Program Overview:
- Students engage in thought provoking seminars and lectures by CSR researchers, and maritime industry and government homeland security experts.
- Participate in collaborative multidisciplinary, hands-on research, through modeling and simulation projects, data collection, and real-time analysis.
- Engage in field visits to ports, laboratories, and industry and government sites.
- Work as part of a motivated team to prepare final reports and present research findings, and conclusions to CSR researchers and DHS officials.
- Selected team projects will be featured at DHS conferences and meetings.
- Enhanced educational experience through experiential research.
- Engagement in real-world research and analysis as it relates to U.S. maritime and port security.
- On-campus accommodations.
Criteria for participation:
Undergraduate students must be in their junior or senior year of study, possess an excellent academic record (GPA of 3.0 or better), and currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program.
Graduate students must be currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program and demonstrate a GPA of 3.5 or better.
Students from CSR partner schools are given priority in admissions decisions.
Application Process and Deadlines:
To apply for admission, please complete the Summer Research Institute online application form. Click here to get started: 2013 SRI APPLICATION FORM
The deadline for applying is April 15, 2013.
Location and Housing:
The 2013 SRI will be hosted by Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, NJ.
For more information, please contact:
Beth Austin DeFares
The National Center for Secure and Resilient Maritime Commerce
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, NJ 07030