The James C. Nicoll Environmental Laboratory (JNEL) at Stevens Institute of Technology is a state-of-the-art research and testing facility with multimedia capabilities for wastewater, liquid waste, solid waste, and air studies. An early leader in environmental engineering, Stevens has established JNEL to fortify its long-standing commitment to environmental protection through innovative and advanced technologies.
JNEL's comprehensive services range from short duration, highly specialized testing to long-term applied research studies. This versatility allows the laboratory to connect environmental control and remediation technology development with field implementation. JNEL is also a resource center for waste treatment information.
JNEL seeks cooperative partnerships with industry, government and environmental Service Organizations to solve complex, real-world environmental problems. The laboratory develops, tests, transfer and implements innovative environmental technologies to provide value-added, economically feasible solutions that meet strict regulatory compliance requirements. Combining its processes and analytical laboratory capabilities, JNEL's expertise and technologies can be applied to a variety of needs. For example, JNEL can combine its laboratory strengths to support the qualification requirements of advanced waste treatment feasibility studies.
- Waste stream characterization
- Bench and pilot scale treatability testing
- Support of field pilot tests
- Development of innovative treatment technologies
- Waste minimization studies
- Pollution Prevention
- Regulatory acceptance testing
- Environmental compatibility testing of consumer products
The main facility features testing and analytical laboratories including a modern temperature and humidity control room. The testing lab supports both small and large scale experimental setups. The analytical lab features fully automated instrumentation for analysis of organics, inorganics and metals.
- Reactor vessels
- Packed column stripper / absorber
- Bench Scale Filtration Units
- Solid and slurry mixing apparatus
- Adsorption vessels
- Plasma and ozone generation equipment
- Bench scale packed bed bioreactor
- Fermentation vessels (New Brunswick Scientific Bioflo IIc and Bioflo 3000)
- N-CON WB 512 bio-respirometer
- Computerized data acquisition equipment
- Glove box for microbial manipulation in controlled environment
- Environmental Shaker for microbial studies
- Aerobic and Anaerobic Reactors
- Environmental Incubators for microbial studies
- Microtox for preliminary toxicological assessement
- Soil, water and soil sampling and characterization apparatus
Adding to JNEL's unique capabilities is a fully equipped machine shop and Stevens laboratories in scanning electron microscopy (SEM), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), fourier transform infrared spectrometry (FTIR), environmental hydrodynamics and acoustics.