|TEACHING PROFESSOR, LITERATURE|
|School: College of Arts & Letters|
|Department: Literature / CAL 105 / The Freshman Experience|
B.A., Hofstra University, 1968
M.A., Hofstra University, 1970
Ph.D., New York University, 1976
American literature (all periods and genres); establishing texts for American writers; Mark Twain and American humor; Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau, and transcendentalism; American poetry; American short stories; American immigrant writing; American nature and environmental writing.
Teaching the humanities at Stevens since 1981, specializing in 19th-century American literature
American Literature (2-semester survey)
American Renaissance in Literature
American Poetry to 1900
American Poetry: 20th Century
Thoreau & Early Environmental Writing in America
The Short Story
CAL 105 text revision committee
Director, Humanities Forum
Consulting editor at The Library of America (since 1998); projects include editions of works by John Smith, John James Audubon, Alexis de Tocqueville, Henry James, Mark Twain, Ezra Pound, Hart Crane, Elizabeth Bishop, William Faulkner, and others.
In-house editor of Henry David Thoreau, "Walden, The Maine Woods, and Collected Essays and Poems" (2007)
In-house editor of Mark Twain, "A Tramp Abroad, Following the Equator, and Other Travels (2010)
In-house editor of Henry James, "The Ambassadors and The Golden Bowl" (2011)
In-house editor of May Swenson, Collected Poems (2013)
Honors & Awards
Vice president, Linnaean Society of New York
Chair, Conservation Committee, Linnaean Society of New York
Committee on Undergraduate Academic Standards
Linnaean Society of New York
Birders' Coalition for Gateway
- Henry David Thoreau. "Walden, The Maine Woods, and Collected Essays & Poems", Andrew Rubenfeld, College Edition, The Library of America (2007).
- Andrew Rubenfeld. "America's Mark Twain", Siena Research Institute (1990).
- Andrew Rubenfeld. "Walt Whitman's New Jersey Birds", New Jersey Audubon Magazine (1984).
- Andrew Rubenfeld. "Aldo Leopold, George Ohr, Fairfield Porter, Henry Wright, and others", American National Biography (Oxford University Press) and World Authors: 1900-1950 (H. W. Wilson & Company).
- Andrew Rubenfeld. "Textual reports for The Library of America (consultant/special projects work) on a variety of authors ".
HLI 117 Colonial and Romantic American Literature
HLI 118 Realist and Modern American Literature
HLI 336 The Short Story
HLI 352 The American Renaissance in Literature
HLI 358 American Poetry: 20th Century
HLI 349 American Poetry to 1900
HLI 338 Thoreau and Environment