Discussions are not structured as pro/con debates. Therefore, teams do not have to defend one specific position, and they also do not have to disagree. Rather, they have to compete in their analysis of the problem and in bringing about the best answer or solution. A team's performance will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of the presentation
- Awareness of the complexity of ethical problems involved in each case
- Feasibility of practical solutions
- Creativity in imagining the different stakeholder concerns related to a case, and in presenting a solution that is both sensitive to these concerns and opens a new way of thinking or acting
- Capacity to engage in a fruitful and serious discussion with the other team and the judges.