Key Lessons in Managing for Innovation
Achieving innovation effectively is among the chief challenges faced by organizations today. This Roundtable meeting is accordingly designed to survey some of the key lessons, research findings, and best practices in the field today. Building upon our past explorations, we will consider, with the able facilitation of Tony Le Storti, such questions as:
- What remain the chief obstacles to innovation (and which ones do Alliance members face)?
- Why do the organizations most effective at innovation manage for innovation, rather than attempt to manage innovation (and what does that mean)?
- What are the multidimensional strategies being employed by the best-of-breeds to generate and capture creative ideas?
- What is manifestly clear about the motivation of innovators, and why do we keep fighting it?
- What are the variations on the theme of open innovation that are being used by Proctor & Gamble, LEGO, Starwood, and others?
- What is design thinking and why is it the most powerful strategy in innovation today?
As usual, we look to share ideas and tactics through an interactive session, and we will especially want to explore the specific challenges that Alliance Partners are facing. This Roundtable meeting will provide an opportunity to ask for advice, share solutions, and identify those topics and issues that deserve greater attention in future meetings.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our host has kindly invited Roundtable meeting attendees to tour the AT&T Global Network Operations Center. Those of us who visited the facility at the time of the September 2009 Roundtable meeting found that seeing this live command center was an exciting and informative experience. The tour will begin promptly at 11:00 AM and last for about 45 minutes, after which AT&T is hosting a light working luncheon.
If you would like to take the tour, please plan to arrive at the AT&T site between 10:45-11:00. If you are not interested in the tour but would like to have lunch, please plan to arrive 11:45-12:00. The Roundtable session will begin at 12:30 and will continue formally until 4:00 PM. If any participants are interested in continuing the discussion, there will be opportunity to extend it until 4:30.