Dr. Edward Friedman
|Building: Babbio Center|
|Email: [email protected]|
|School: School of Business|
|Department: Master of Technology Management|
- Ph.D. Physics Columbia University in 1963.
- S.B., Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1957
- Director Designate Baharicom Labs, 2010-Present
- Professor Emeritus of Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2007 - Present
- Founder and Director, Stevens Center for Technology Management for Global Development, 2004-Present
- Founder and Director, Stevens Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education (CIESE), 1988-2004.
- Professor of Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1985-Present.
- Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1983-1985.
- Dean of the College, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1973-1983
- Director, U.S. AID Engineering College Development Program, Kabul, Afghanistan, 1970-1973.
- Associate Professor of Physics, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1967-1970
Keynote address - International COnference on Role of Information Technology in Society organized by the Free University of Varna, Bulgaria, June 26, 2008, "Informatics Applications in Medical Diagnosis for Developing Countries."
Keynote Address at International Workshop for Representatives of nine countries of Southern Africa organized by the United Nations Development Program in Maputo, Mozembiques, "IT Applications in Health Care," May 6, 2007
Keynote Address at Mathematics Society of South-Eastern Europe 2nd International Congress in Paphos, CYprus, "As Internet Permeates the Ether- Challenges and Opportunities," June 1, 2006
Keynote Address at International Workshop for Representatives of nine countries of Southern Africa organized by the United Nations Development Program in Maseru, Lesotho, "Overview of e-Health Applications," March 28, 2006
Annual Invited National Lecture on Technology and Education in Costa Rica, "The Scientific and Social Potential of the Educational USe of the Internet," October 17, 2002
Honors & Awards
- Edwin A. Stevens Excellence in Educational Outreach Award, Stevens Institute of Technology,
- Doctor of Science in Mathematics, Honoris Causa, Sofia University, Bulgaria, 2000
- Pride of New Jersey Albert Einstein Education Award, 1992.
- Fulbright Visiting Fellow, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 1992.
- Master of Engineering, Honoris Causa, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1983.
- Highest Educational Medal, Government of Afghanistan, 1973.
- Research Award, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1973 (laser light scattering, with R.D. Andrews).
- Citation for Outstanding Service, Kabul University, 1967.
See under General information
- Member, Editorial Board of Serdica, Journal of Computing, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 2007 - Present
- Executive Board, Teaching Matters, Inc., 1995-Present
- Executive Board, Best Practices in Education., 1998-2003
- Member, New Jersey Department of Education Task Force to Develop A Long-Range Plan for Educational Technology, 1992.
- Member, New Jersey Department of Higher Education General Education Advisory Council, 1990.
- Member, Committee on Research and Development of The College Board, 1987-1991 & 1996-1999.
- Member of the Review Panel for Research Programs at Educational Testing Service. Princeton, NJ, 1983-1992; Chair, 1987-1990.
- Founding Co-Editor, International Journal, Machine-Mediated Learning, 1983 - 1989
- Member, Task Force on the Use of Educational Technology of the American Society for Engineering Education Quality in Engineering Project, 1986.
- Member of the Review Committee for the Division of Policy Research and Analysis of the National Science Foundation, 1983-1985.
- Referee: National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Education, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Association of American Colleges, Consortium for the Advancement of Private Higher Education, Annenberg/CPB Project.
- E. A. Friedman. (1995). "Connecting Students to a Changing World: A Technology Strategy for Improving Mathematics and Science Education", Committee for Economic Development Policy Paper, New York City.
- E. A. Friedman, J.E. McClellan and A. Shapiro. (1990). "Introducing Undergraduate Students to Automated Text Retrieval in Humanities Courses. Humanities and the Computer, New Directions. Published as part of a collection on computing in the humanities", Oxford University Press. 103-112.
- E. A. Friedman. (1986). "Technologies for Text (Curriculum Module), distributed by Council of Independent Colleges under grant from the Exxon Education Foundation".
- E. A. Friedman. (1986). "Technology Literacy as Means and Ends", The Redesign of Testing for the 21st Century, Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service. 81-86.
- E. A. Friedman. (2009). "Computer-Assisted Medical Diagnosis for Rural Sub-Saharan Africa", IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, Fall 2009 pp18-27.
- E. A. Friedman, Patricia J. Holahan and M. Peter Jurkat. (Apr 2000). "Evaluation of a Mentor Teacher Model for Enhancing Mathematics Instruction through the Use of Computers", Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 32 (3), 336-350.
- E. A. Friedman, Robert R. Downs. (Jun 1999). "Information Processing & Management", Digital library support for scholarly research.
- E. A. Friedman. (Dec 1998). "Enlivening Science Education with Data from the Internet", Journal of Materials Education, 20 (1/2).
- E. A. Friedman. (Oct 1998). "Book Review: Technology and Culture", The International Quarterly of the Society for the History of Technology, 39 (4).
- E. A. Friedman, B. McGrath. (Sep 30, 1998). "The Internet Isn't a Threat to Students…It's a Tool for Teachers", Education Week.
- E. A. Friedman, Beth McGrath and Joshua Baron. (Dec 1997). "Web Adventures in K-12 Science", Technos, 6 (4).
- E. A. Friedman. (Jun 1996). "Universal Access to Science Study Via Internet", T.H.E. Journal.
- E. A. Friedman. (Nov 1994). "The Effective Integration of Technology in Education: A Management Perspective, Top Ten Questions for School Administrators", T.H.E. Journal.
- E. A. Friedman, M. Peter Jurkat, Roger S. Pinkham, Ihor Charischak and Lori V. Morris. (Jun 1991). "Organizing University-Secondary School Interaction for Effective Teacher Inservice Training in Computer Use for Mathematics Instruction", Journal of Computing in Teacher Education.
- E. A. Friedman, M. Peter Jurkat and Roger S. Pinkham. (Sep 1991). "Enhancing School Mathematics Education Through Computer Integration", T.H.E. Journal.
- E. A. Friedman. (Dec 1986). "Introduction as well as guest editor for special issue on Information Technology Case Studies of Effective Applications", Engineering Education, 77 (3), 143-145.
- E. A. Friedman. (1986). "Computers in Education at Stevens Institute of Technology", SIGUE Outlook, Association for Computing Machinery, 19 (1/2), 49-53.
- E. A. Friedman. (1984). "Machine-Mediated Instruction for Workforce Training and Education", Information Society Journal, 2 (3), 269-320.
- E. A. Friedman. (Nov 1984). "The Wired University", IEEE Spectrum, 115-120.
- E. A. Friedman, M. Peter Jurkat and Roger S. Pinkham. (Mar 1990). "Computer Integration in U.S. Secondary School Mathematics", Seventh International Conference on Technology and Education, Brussels, Belgium. 1 314-316.