Dr. Gregory Prastacos
|DEAN, SCHOOL OF BUSINESS; PROFESSOR |
|Building: Babbio Center|
|Phone: 201 216 8366|
|School: School of Business|
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Columbia University, New York, USA, 1972.
- Master of Science in Computer Science, Columbia University, 1973.
- Doctor of Engineering Science in Operations Research, Columbia University, 1977.
- Business Analytics
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Decision Support Systems
- Balanced Scorecard Strategies
- Technology & Innovation Management
Gregory P. Prastacos is the Dean at the Howe School of Technology Management of Stevens Institute of Technology, where he also serves as Professor of Management Science. Before joining Stevens he was Professor of Management Science and Rector of the Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB), Athens, Greece. He has been educated at Columbia University, where he received a Bachelor's in Computer Science, an Master's in Computer Science, and a Doctorate in Operations Research (OR). He was previously on the faculties of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, and Columbia University’s Business School, and has held visiting appointments at a number of Universities and Research Institutes in Europe and Asia.
Professor Prastacos' professional interests are in the areas of Management Science, Information Technology, and their use for Innovation and Business Transformation in the Information Society. He has published 5 books and approximately 70 papers in international academic journals and edited volumes. His papers have appeared in some of the top journals in his field, such as Management Science, Operations Research, Journal of Management, Information and Management, Long Range Planning, and others. One of his recent books on “Managerial Decision Making” has been translated in Chinese and published by Tsinghua University Press (2011). Another recent book he co-edited on "Leadership through the Classics" has been published by Springer (2012).
For his work on the logistics of perishable inventory he has been awarded the Edelman Award by TIMS/INFORMS. For his work on financial management under uncertainty, he has been awarded the 1st prize of the Hellenic OR Society. His work on blood inventory management has been cited in the centennial issue of Science as exemplary OR work internationally. His work on competency modeling has been used worldwide as a basis for successful HR practice. His work on absorptive capacity has been selected among the best papers of the Academy of Management. In 2008, INFORMS honored him with an Honorary Medal for significant achievements in Operations Research. Throughout his career he has received numerous teaching excellence and exceptional contribution awards (2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010).
Professor Prastacos possesses significant academic leadership experience. As Dean at Stevens (since 2012) he has initiated a number of initiatives, that relate to the development of a strategic plan of the Business School, the growth, rebranding and accreditation of the School, the launching of new majors and programs, the revamping of existing programs, the development of international collaborations, the development of research focus and excellence, etc.
As Rector of AUEB (2007-2011) he spearheaded the internationalization of the University, increased the number of graduate programs offered, enhanced the research activity through internal funding, established the alumni association of the University, established the Business Confucius Institute of Athens (fully funded by the government of China - Hanban), launched the International Entrepreneurship Chair (fully funded by the government of India - ICCR), established seven joint programs with European Universities through the EU program Hermes, increased significantly the fundraising, and more.
Prior to becoming Rector at AUEB, he was the Founding Director (1999-2007) of AUEB’s International MBA Program (www.imba.aueb.gr), widely considered as the No. 1 MBA program in Greece. During his term, the program was accredited by AMBA (2005), gained international visibility, appeared in international rankings (2006), and grew to attract students from more than 25 countries. In 2010 the school was awarded “The Most Innovative Business School in Southern Europe, 2010”. Professor Prastacos was also the Founding Director (2000-2011) of AUEB’s Management Science Laboratory (www.msl.aueb.gr), a leading ISO-certified management research center in Europe, that has attracted significant funding from the European Union and other national and private funding organizations.
Professor Prastacos also has significant consulting experience. As an independent consultant, as well as an ex-Senior Partner and Chairman of Deloitte’s Management Consulting Practice in Greece (1997-2002), he has helped numerous organizations to develop strategies and systems and improve performance through organizational restructuring, IT systems and strategy, personnel development, balanced scorecard strategies, etc. The organizations he has worked with include major companies in banking, insurance, airline, airport management, postal services, health, mining, Internet service providers, and municipalities.
Professor Prastacos serves on the Board of Directors of the Alexander S. Onassis Foundation (USA). He is an elected Fellow of the Washington Academy of Sciences, serves on the editorial board of several academic journals, and is on the board of his home school, Athens College. He has previously served as Founding Co-Chairman of the Business Confucius Institute of Athens, a joint initiative between Greece and China, and has been on the Board of Directors (BoD) of the Hellenic Management Association, the BoD of the Hellenic OR Society, the Scientific Council of the Greek National Economic Research Institute, as well as the BoD’s of a number of companies. He is a frequent speaker to conferences, and an advisor to government organizations and private industry.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Co-Chairman of the international Conference “Leadership and Management in a Changing World: Lessons from Ancient East and West Philosophy”, Athens, 2011 (www.leadershipclassics.org).
- Member of the evaluation panel to select the “Entrepreneur of the Year”, Ernst & Young, 2011
- Member of the evaluation team for the “Business Plan Competition”, sponsored by the National Bank of Greece (2010).
- Member of evaluation panels to assess Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policies of companies in multiple occasions (2008, 2009, 2010).
- Co-Chairman (founding), Business Confucius Institute of Athens (2008 - 2011)
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the International Conference “New Frontiers in Business and Information Technologies”, Korea University Business School, Seoul (2007)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic Management Association EEDE (2005- 2007).
- Chair of the evaluation teams for the selection of the Scientific Director of the Research Institute of the Athens Academy of Sciences (2006, 2011)
- Head of EU Missions to Romania and Georgia to map R&D potential and make propositions for the development of research collaborations (2005).
- Member of the judging panel for the INFORMS Financial Services Section's Best Student Paper Competition (2004).
- Member of the McKinsey Quarterly Online Executive Panel (2004).
- Chairman of the Conference “Innovation: Defining Factors and Open Questions for the Future of the Greek Economy” (2003).
- Member of the International Organizing Committee of the International Conference of Decision Sciences Institute (1999).
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the European Conference LILIS (EC DG III), “Continuing Education in the Information Society” (1996).
- Chairman of the Board of two companies in the areas of Management Consulting (OMAS SA, 1986-1996, and Deloitte Consulting SA, 1996-2002).
- Member of the 7-member EU panel of experts to ecaluate the 5th Framework Program (2000-01)
- Chairman of the 7th National Conference of the Hellenic Operational Research Society (1987).
- Researcher A’, French National Centre of Scientific Research (CNRS), conducting research on Decision Support Systems and Logistics (1986-87).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic Operations Research Society (1981-88).
- Member of the Scientific Board of the Centre for Planning and Economic Research of Greece (1984-85).
- Visiting Research Fellow, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) (1979, 1980, 1981), conducting research on the application of Systems Analysis in Health Care.
RECENT INVITED KEYNOTE SPEECHES:
- "Building Strategic University-Industry Collaborations", 2nd World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2), New Delhi, March 2014.
- “Measuring the Economic Impact of the Athens International Airport (AIA)”, Airport Chief Executives Symposium Athens, Greece, October 2013.
- “Building Analytical Capabilities on Today’s Cutting Edge Organizations”, 42nd IFTDO Conference, New Delhi, India, April 2013; similar talk given at the Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China, March 2013.
- "An Introduction to Decision Making", Renmin University, Beijing, China, July 2012.
- "Developing Managerial Skills for Successful Investments", 1st Hellenic-China Business Partnering Conference, Athens, Greece, June 2011.
- “Academic Excellence in Management Education”, Inaugural Ceremony of AUEB’s NOBEL Economics Series, Megaron Mousikis, Athens, Greece, April 2011.
- “Business Education in the Information Economy: Leadership, Responsibility and Entrepreneurship”, Rectors' Conference, Washington, DC, January 2011.
- “Crafting and Implementing Business Strategy for the Next Generation Global Enterprises”, Session Chairman and Speaker in the Indian National HRD Network Conference Towards the Next Orbit, Gurgaon, India, December 2010.
- “Educational Policies and Best Practices for Developing Entrepreneurial Culture”, Young Entrepreneurs of Europe Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2010.
- “Financial and Economic Crisis: The Return to Stability”, Session Chairman in the Conference sponsored by the Alumni of the Onassis Foundation, Athens, Greece, June 2010.
- “Management and Leadership in a Changing World”, Conference Dialogue of Civilizations between Greece and China, Athens, April 2010.
- “Personal lessons of Entrepreneurship”, INSPIRUS Conference, Mumbai, India, 20 February 2010.
- “Strategic Decision Making in Supply Chain Management”, University of Strasbourg, 2009.
- “Developing an Observatory for Operational Excellence of Universities”, Annual Meeting of UNICA Universities, Paris, November 2009.
- “Bridging the ties between Greece and China”, Confucius Institute Opening Ceremony, Megaron Mousikis, Athens, October 2009.
- “Sustaining and Developing Business in Southeast Europe”, International Conference organized by AUEB and Wharton, “Managing Supply Chain Risks”, June 2009.
- “Academic Collaborations as a Means for Cultural Exchange and Business Development”, Adriatic-Ioanian Conference, Corfu, Greece, 2009.
- “Career Planning: Unlocking your Own Potential”, Novo Nordisk Annual Leaders Meeting, Executive Training Program, Milano, January 2009.
- “Developing Interfaces between academia and industry”, 26th All-India National Conference of Personnel Managers, Baroda, India, 2008.
- "Teaching Professionalism: An Example of Evidence-Based Teaching", 26th All-India National Conference of Personnel Managers, Baroda, India, 2008.
- “Creating Value in a World Without Boundaries”, BSH Annual Meeting, 2007.
- “Recent Areas of interest in Decision Making Research”, NMIMS University, Mumbai, India.
- “Indo-Greek Relationships: History and Prospects”, NMIMS University, Mumbai, India, April 2007.
- “Supply Chain Management for Vending Operations”, European Vending Association Conference, EurOps 2007, 2007.
- “Supply Chain Management”, Université Robert Schumann, Strasbourg, France, 2007.
EDITORIAL ACTIVITY (Member of the Editorial Board):
- International Journal of Information Technology & Management (2002 - )
- European Journal of International Management (Sage, 2005 - )
- South Asian Business Review (2007 - )
- Operational Research – An International Journal (Springer, 2008 - )
- American Journal of Operational Research (2011 - )
- Interfaces (Editor-at-Large, 1992-95)
Over 30 years of consulting experience in a variety of roles and industries. Initial experience as an independent consultant was commercialized in 1986 by launching and leading the OMAS SA management consulting company. The company grew to be a 30-people company, and became a market leader in Decision Support Systems, Business Intelligence Systems, Data Warehousing, and Customer Relationship Management. In 1996, after 10 years of continuous growth, the company merged with Deloitte & Touche, to create Deloitte & Touche Consulting. He remained as Chairman of the Board of Deloitte & Touche Consulting until 2002. His experience focuses on the Banking, Telecoms and IT sectors. Indicative projects he has led include the following:
- Development of a Decision Support Systems for Assets and Liabilities Management of a major bank.
- Development of a Decision Support Systems for optimal pension career and manpower planning.
- Developing a Bonus System for a banking organization.
- Analysis of the Economic Impact of an international airport.
- Design of a “Reverse Supply Chain” for Used Lubricants
- Analysis of the Governance and related issues of a major Athens Transportation Authority.
- Development of IT strategy for a Major Mobile Telephony provider.
- Business Plan for the Financial Portal of a major Internet provider.
- Development of a Balanced Scorecard Strategy for an international University.
- Operational Efficiency Observatory for European Universities.
- Development of Management Training and Research in Lithuania
- Profile Identification of Bank Branches and Development of a Targeted Marketing Strategy of a Commercial Bank.
- Development of a Competencies Management Framework for Human Resources Management.
- Development of a Balanced Scorecard System for Performance Management of a bank IT department.
- Development of the CRM strategy for a major insurance company.
- Numerous projects that have to do with issues of logistics in blood management at the hospital or the regional level
- Evaluation of a number of National Blood Systems of several countries
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Medal for significant achievements in Operations Research by the Institute for Management Sciences and Operations Research (INFORMS) at the INFORMS Annual Practice Conference, Baltimore, USA (2008).
- Selection of paper (co-authored with Brachos D., Söderquist, K.E. and Kostopoulos K.) “Knowledge Effectiveness Social Context and Innovation”, published in Journal of Knowledge Management, as a Highly Commended paper at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence (2008).
- Selection of papers among the Best Papers of the Academy of Management Conference (2007, 2009).
- Teaching Excellence and Exceptional Contribution Awards, Athens University of Economics and Business (2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010).
- Best Paper Award for paper (co-authored with Paraskevopoulos D. and Ioannou G.) “A Decision Support System for Waste Lube Oils Collection”, presented at the 11th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Northeastern University, Shenyang, China (2005).
- Elected Fellow of the Washington Academy of Sciences, for significant contributions in Operations Research and Applications in Health Care Management (1983).
- 1st Hellenic Prize in Operations Research, awarded by the Hellenic Operations Research Society (HELORS) for contributions made in investment theory (1981).
- 1st World Prize in the Practice of Management Science (Edelman Award), awarded by the Institute of Management Sciences (INFORMS / TIMS), for significant contributions in inventory management and logistics, and their applications to health care delivery systems (1979).
Books and Monographs
- “Leadership through the Classics: Learning Management and Leadership from Ancient East and West Philosophy”, Springer, 2012 (co-editor with K. E. Soderquist and F. Wang).
- “Managerial Decision Making: Theory and Practice”, Tsinghua University Press, ISBN: 978-7-302-20679-8, published in English (2009), and Chinese (2011).
- “Management Science in Action: Applications in the Modern Enterprise”, Stamoulis Press, 2nd edition, 2005 (in Greek).
- “Management Science: Decision Making in the Information Society”, Stamoulis Press, 2nd edition, 2003 (in Greek).
- “Management Science and Information Technology”, HELORS press, 1986 (editor, in Greek).
Refereed Papers in International Journals
- “Structure and Function of Team Learning Emergence: A Multilevel Empirical Validation”, Journal of Management, vol. 39, 6, 1397-1429, 2013 (with Y. Spanos and K. Kostopoulos).
- Corporate Real Estate Analysis: Evaluating Telecom Branch Efficiency in Greece”, Applied Economics, vol. 42, 9, 1133 – 1143, 2010 (with M. Kritikos and R. Markellos).
- “Task-based to competency-based: A typology and process supporting a critical HRM transition”, Personnel Review, vol. 39, 3, 325-346, 2010 (with K. E. Söderquist, A. Papalexandris, G. Ioannou).
- An assignment-based heuristic for vehicle routing with time windows”, Operational Research – An International Journal, vol. 8, 219-233, 2009 (with G. Ioannou and M. Kritikos).
- Investigating Warehouse Policies”, International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 112, 955-970, 2008 (with G. Skintzi, G. Ioannou).
- “Meeting the Challenge of a Technology-Driven Change within an Institutional Context: the Greek Case”, Public Administration, vol. 86 (2), 429-442, 2008 (with S. Filippidou, M. Karageorgou, E. Söderquist, and Ch. Tarantilis).
- “A Reactive Variable Neighborhood Tabu Search for the Heterogeneous Fleet Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows”, Journal of Heuristics, 14(5), 425-455, 2008 (with D. Paraskevopoulos, P. Repoussis, C. Tarantilis, G. Ioannou).
- Knowledge Effectiveness, Social Context and Innovation: The New Era of Knowledge - Based Developments", Journal of Knowledge Management, vol. 11, 5, 31-44, 2007 (with D. Brachos, D. Kostopoulos and K. E. Söderquist). This paper has been selected as a “Highly Commended Paper” at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008.
- “Competency Management in Support of Organizational Change”, International Journal of Manpower, vol. 28, 3, 260-275, July 2007 (with M. Vakola and K. E. Söderquist).
- “ERP Implementation at SME’s: An initial study of the Greek Market”, International Journal of Integrated Supply Management, vol. 3, 4, 406-425, 2007 (with M. Argyropoulou and G. Ioannou).
- Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to vehicle routing problems”, Astrolavos, vol. 6, 136-155, 2006 (with M. Kritikos and G. Ioannou).
- A Holistic methodology for Putting the Balanced Scorecard into Action”, European Management Journal, vol. 23, 2 pp 214-227, 2005 (with A. Papalexandris, G. Ioannou, K. E. Söderquist).
- “A Strategic Forward-Looking Approach to Competency Modelling”, Business Leadership Review, vol. II, No. 2, April 2005 (with K. E. Söderquist and M. Vakola).
- “Solving the open vehicle routing problem via a single parameter metaheuristic algorithm”, J. Operational Research Soc., vol. 56, 5, 588-596, 2005 (with C. Tarantilis, G. Ioannou, C. Kiranoudis).
- “Advanced Vehicle Routing algorithms for Operational Management Problems”, Journal of Food Engineering, Special issue: Operational Research and Logistics, vol. 70, 3, 455-471, 2005 (with Ch. Tarantilis, and G. Ioannou).
- A Quality Function Deployment Approach to Web Site Development", Les Cahiers du Management Technologique, vol. 13, 3, 51-66, 2004 (with G. Ioannou, and K. Pramataris).
- “Understanding Organizational Capabilities: Towards a Conceptual Framework”, Journal of Knowledge Management, vol. 8, 3, 31-43, 2004 (with Y. Spanos).
- “The Effects of Environment, Structure, and Dynamic Capabilities on Product Innovation Strategy”, International Journal on Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, vol. 4, 6, 620-638, 2004 (with Y. Spanos).
- “Modelling of Facilities for Head Injuries in London”, Operations Research – An International Journal (ORIJ), vol. 3, 3, 197-212, 2004 (with G. Skintzi, T. Coats, and G. Ioannou).
- “Determinants of Technological Innovation adoption: The case for ERP systems in Greek SME’s”, Les Cahiers du Management Technologique, vol. 13, 2, 39-51, 2004 (with K. Kostopoulos, and D. Brachos).
- “Inventory Positioning in Multiple Product Supply Chains”, Annals of Operations Research, Special issue: Stochastic Models of Production-Inventory Systems, vol. 125, 195-213, 2004 (with G. Skintzi, G. Ioannou).
- “Implementing the Balanced Scorecard in Greece: Α Software Firm’s Experience”, Long Range Planning, vol. 37, 4, 347-362, 2004 (with A. Papalexandris and G. Ioannou). This paper was among the top 25 most downloadable papers of LRP for the year 2004-05.
- “An annealing-based approach to a special class of distribution problems”, RAIRO – Recherche Opérationnelle, vol. 38, 4, 345-360, 2004 (with C. Tarantilis, G. Ioannou, C. Kiranoudis).
- “Towards New Public Management In Greek Public Organizations: Leadership vs. Management, and the Path to Implementation”, Public Organization Review: A Global Journal, vol. 4, 317-337, 2004 (with S. Filipidou and E. Söderquist).
- “A problem-generator-solver heuristic for vehicle routing with soft time windows”, Omega - The International Journal of Management Science, vol. 31, 1, 41-53, 2002 (with G. Ioannou and M. Kritikos).
- “The Relationship between Information and Communication Technologies Adoption and Management”, Information & Management, vol. 39, 659-675, 2002 (with Y. Spanos and A. Poulymenakou). This paper came up in the top 10 in readership among the I&M papers for the period Sept 2000 – Jan 2004.
- “Map-Route: A GIS-Based Decision Support System for intra-city vehicle routing with time windows”, J. Operational Research Soc., vol. 53, 842-854, 2002 (with G. Ioannou and M. Kritikos).
- “An Integrated Framework for Managing Change in the New Competitive Landscape”, European Management Journal, vol. 20, 1, 55-71, 2002 (with K. Söderquist, Y. Spanos, and L. Van Wassenhove). This paper came up 4th in readership among EMJ papers for the year 2002.
- A Greedy Look-ahead Heuristic for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Window Constraints", J. Operational Research Soc., vol. 52, 523-537, 2001 (with G. Ioannou and M. Kritikos).
- Greek Firms and EMU: Contrasting SMEs and Large-Sized Enterprises”, European Management Journal, vol. 19, 6, 638-648, 2001 (with Y. Spanos and V. Papadakis).
- Inventory Positioning in Single Product Supply Chains”, Les Cahiers du Management Technologique, vol. 11, 2, 33-40, 2001 (with G. Ioannou and G. Skintzi).
- A Decision Support System for Manpower Planning in Large Organizations“, J. of Decision Systems, vol. 14, 291-303, 1996 (with M. Kalogerakis and P. Ipsilandis).
- An Allocation and Distribution Model for Perishable Inventories”, Operations Research, vol. 34, 1, 1986 (with A. Federgruen and P. Zipkin).
- An Approximate Analysis of the D/M/1 Queue with Deterministic Customer Impatience”, RAIRO - Recherche Opérationnelle, vol. 19, 1, 1985 (with G. P. Cosmetatos).
- Blood Inventory Management: An Overview of Theory and Practice”, Management Science, vol. 30, 7, 1984.
- An Approximation for a Perishable Inventory System with Fixed Size Periodic Replenishments”, Advances in Management Studies, vol. 2, 4, 1983 (with G. P. Cosmetatos).
- Optimal Sequential Investment Decisions under Conditions of Uncertainty”, Management Science, vol. 29, 1, 1983.
- Topological Problems in Computer Network Design”, Spoudai, 838-848, 1982.
- Critical Number Ordering Policies for LIFO Perishable Inventory Systems”, Computers & Operations Research, vol. 8, 4, 1981 (with M. Cohen).
- Allocation of a Perishable Product Inventory”, Operations Research, vol. 29, 2, 1981.
- PBDS: A Decision Support System for Regional Blood Management”, Management Science, vol. 26, 1, 1980 (with E. Brodheim).
- The Long Island Blood Distribution System as a Prototype for Regional Blood Management”, Interfaces, vol. 9, 5, 1979. The work presented in this paper won the Edelman Award (INFORMS) and was cited in the centennial issue of Science as exemplary work in Operations Research internationally.
- “A Blood Management System with Prescheduled Deliveries”, Transfusion, vol. 19, 4, July-August 1979 (with E. Brodheim).
- “LIFO Distribution Systems”, J. of the Operational Research Soc., vol. 30, 6, June 1979.
- "Computer - Based Regional Blood Distribution”, Computers & Operations Research, vol. 6, 2 Mar-April 1979 (with E. Brodheim).
- “Optimal Myopic Allocation of a Product with Fixed Lifetime”, J. Operational Research Soc., vol. 29, 9, September 1978.
- "On the Setting of Inventory Levels for Hospital Blood Banks”, Transfusion, vol. 16, Jan-Feb 1976 (with E. Brodheim and R. Hirsch).
- “On the Evaluation of a Class of Inventory Policies for Perishable Products such as Blood”, Management Science, vol. 21, 11, July 1975 (with E. Brodheim and C. Derman).
Publications in Edited Volumes
- “Professionalism in Business: Insights from Ancient Philosophy” in G. Prastacos et.al. Leadership through the Classics: Lessons from Ancient East and West Philosophy, Springer-Verlag, 437-455, 2012 (with L. Despotidou).
- “Team learning activities and team effectiveness: The role of psychological safety and task conflict”, Academy of Management Conference, Chicago, USA, August 2009 (with K. Kostopoulos and N. Bozionelos). This paper was selected among the Best Papers of the Conference and was published in the Conference Proceedings.
- “The Effects of Organizational Unit Absorptive Capacity on Innovation and Performance”, Academy of Management Conference, Philadelphia, USA, August 2007 (with K. Kostopoulos and A. Papalexandris). This paper was selected among the Best Papers of the Conference and was published in the Conference Proceeding.
- “A Decision Support System for Waste Lube Oils Collection”, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Northeaster University, Shenyang, China, 2005 (with D. Paraskevopoulos and G. Ioannou). This paper received the Best Paper Award of the Conference and was published in the Conference Proceedings.
- “Determining Factors of ERP Adoption: An Indicative Study in the Greek Market”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, pp. 287-291, Singapore, October 2004 (with K. Kostopoulos, and D. Brachos).
- “Knowledge Sharing Networks’ Critical Success Factors: A Comprehensive Study of Knowledge Work”, Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Knowledge Management, pp. 112-121, Oxford University, UK, September 2003 (with D. Brachos, and E. Soderquist).
- “Analyzing the Technological Innovation Adoption Process for ERP systems in Greek SME’s”, Proceedings of the 16th HELORS Conference, 495-508, September 2003 (with K. Kostopoulos, and D. Brachos)
- “Implementing Balanced Scorecard in a Software Development Company”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, Cambridge, UK, 743-748, 2002 (with A. Papalexandris, G. Ioannou, and E. Soderquist).
- “A Shop Floor Decision Support System for the Clothing Industry“, in G. Doumeingts et.al. Computer Applications in Production, by Elsevier Publishers, 1991 (with I. Tatsiopoulos).
- “Mathematical Programming for Assets and Liabilities Management in a Commercial Bank“, in Operational Research ’90, 1990 (with A. Brilis, D. Giokas, M. Vassiloglou)
- “Solon: An Expert System for Evaluating Investments“, in Operational Research ’90, North Holland, 1990 (with N. Paterakis).
- “Development of a basic CIM module for the clothing Industry“, in C. O΄Brien et.al. (eds.) Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Springer Verlag, 281-289, 1989 (with I. Tatsiopoulos).
- “Operations Research in Banking: An Overview”, in G. Prastacos (ed.) Management Science and Information Technology, 281-307, HELORS, 1987.
- “A Comparison of Alternative Inventory Policies for Perishable Products”, in Scientific Annals, Athens University of Economics and Business, 351-366, 1986 (with G. Papadopoulos)..
- “An Optimal Rotation Policy for an Age-Differentiated Product in a Multi-Echelon Inventory system”, in A. Chikan (ed.), New Results in Inventory Theory, 777-784, North-Holland, 1983.
- “Operational Efficiency in the Service Sector”, in Scientific Annals, Athens University of Economics and Business, 277-296, 1984
- "Decisions on Production and Export of Interrelated Products”, in A. Chikan (ed.) Economics and Management of Inventories, 291-300, North-Holland, 1981 (with M. Xafa).
- “Systems analysis in Regional Blood Management”, in J. Mohr and A. Kluge (eds.) The Computer and Blood Banking, 110-131, Springer-Verlag, 1981.
- “Optimal Investment Strategies Under Uncertainty”, in J. P. Brans (ed.) Operational Research ’81, 843-858, North Holland, 1981.
Publications in Media Outlets
- “Developing Extraversion and Internationalization in a Business School”, Epistimoniko Marketing, August 2011.
- “Training in Business Administration: Responsibility and Innovation in the Knowledge Society”, in The University in the 21st Century, N. Stavrakakis (ed.), Plethro Publications, 2011, pp. 293-305
- “Strategy to Come Down from Boardroom to Workshop”, People Matters, India, p. 29, November 2010.
- “Learnings for Management and Leadership from Ancient East and West Philosophy”, Business Partners, November 2010.
- “Education and Sustainable Development”, Epistimoniko Marketing, pp. 42-47, June 2010.
- “Corporate Social Responsibility in Education”, VIMA Ideon, 2010 (with E. Söderquist).
- “Globalization, Technology and Change: Challenges for Leadership”, Parts 1 and 2, Business Partners, January/March 2006.
- “The 21st Century Organization: Guidelines for the CEO”, Parts 1, 2 and 3, Business Partners, May/September/December 2006.
- “Developing Leaders in the Global Knowledge Economy”, International Herald Tribune – Kathimerini, May 22-23, 2004.
- “Critical Factors for Successful Innovation Management at the National, Cluster and Firm Levels”, InnKnow FORUM, 3, 4-6, 2003 (with Y. Spanos, K. Kostopoulos).
- "Entrepreneurial Processes and Lessons Learned from the Dotcom Meltdown”, InnKnow FORUM, 3, 7-8, 2003 (with E. Söderquist).
- “Pros and Cons of Different Ways of Organizing the Knowledge Management Function”, InnKnow FORUM, 4, 9-11, 2003 (with E. Söderquist)
- "Managing Change the New Competitive Environment”, InnKnow FORUM, 1, 7-8, 2002
- “Editorial on Strategic Performance Management”, InnKnow FORUM, 2, 1, 2002 (with E. Söderquist).
In addition he has been extensively quoted and/or has given interviews to various international media, including the Financial Times, The Times of India, The London Stock Exchange, the International Herald Tribune, the European CEO, and more.
- 2012-Current: Stevens Insitute of Technology, Howe School of Technology Management, Dean and Professor of Management Science.
- 1981-2012: The Athens University of Economics and Business Professor of Management Science (1981-2012), Rector of the University (2007-2011), Founding Director of the MBA International Program (1999-2007), Founding Director of the Management Science Research Laboratory (2000-2011), Chairman of the Marketing and Management Science Department (1997-1999), Vice-Chairman of the University Research Center (1997-1999)
- 1978-1982: The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Assistant Professor of Decision Sciences
- 1977-1978: Columbia University, Graduate School of Business, Adjunct Assistant Professor
- 1986-1987: University of Paris IX-Dauphine, Laboratoire LAMSADE, France, Visiting Professor of Decision Sciences
- 1983 – 2011: Short-term Visiting positions at various Universities in Switzerland, France, Spain, India, and China.
Grants, Contracts & Funds
Has been awarded and has led more than 25 major research projects, funded by European Commission (EC), the Ministry of Research of Greece, the CNRS (France), the Foundation of Research of Cyprus, and others. Indicative projects include:
- Evaluation of the impact of the Athens International Airport (AIA). Grant from AIA, 2009
- Evaluation of the impact of European R+D programs on the innovation and competitiveness of European firms, and formulation for guidelines for improvement of innovation European Commission. Lots 1 and 2 (EC - DG Enterprises, 2006-08).
- Mapping of research activities, personnel, and potential, as well as formulation of guidelines for research policy and research collaborations among the Black Sea countries (EC: BS-RESPOT, 2004-06).
- Evaluating scenaria of development of the various technological sectors, and the impact of innovation on various sectors (EC - FORESIGHT, 2002-03).
- Evaluation of the socio-economic impact of the Community Framework Program (EC - DG Research, 2001-02).
- Development and analysis of alternative scenaria on blood self-sufficiency in Europe (EC - DG V: Employment, Industrial Relations, Social Affairs, 1996-97).
- Evaluation, feasibility study and strategy recommendation for the development of management training and management research in Lithuania (EC -DG I: External Relations, 1995-96).
- Development of technologies for flexible production groups in the clothing industry. Evaluator for the European Commission (EC - DG XII: Science, Research and Development, 1994-95).
- Development of innovative measures for the introduction of long-term unemployed in the labor market. Evaluator for the European Commission (EC - DG XVI: Regional Policy, 1996-97).
- Identification of the impact of Information Society on Management and Organizations, and development of the MBA curriculum on and for the Information Society (EC - DG III: Industry, 1996-98).
- Development of tools for fast development of executive information systems (General Secretariat of Research & Technology, 1996-98).
- Reengineering of processes, development of information systems prototypes, and regional organizational transformation for the European blood industry. (EC - DG V: Employment, Industrial Relations, Social Affairs, 1990-93).
- Development and implementation of Computer-Integrating-Manufacturing modules for the clothing industry (European Commission (EC) -DG XII: Science, Research and Development, 1988-90).
- Case study analysis of the vulnerability of Information Systems in the banking and health sectors of Greece, Italy and France (EC - DG XII: Science, Research and Development, 1989-91).
In addition, he has served repeatedly as evaluator of proposals submitted for funding to the EC and to other funding organizations, as well as expert advisor to specific issues (e.g. innovation, R+D development).
BIA 674 Supply Chain Analytics