For Further Information
For more information about this program contact:
Dr. Donald N. Lombardi
Industry Professor & Program Director Howe School of Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology
Email: [email protected]
Download a flyer
Download information about Stevens Healthcare Education Partnership (SHEP)
TYPO content separator
Healthcare Leadership & Management
This 4-course graduate program presents realistic strategies in an array of critical areas for healthcare management and leadership. The courses are delivered with a hybrid method that embraces the best features of both face-to-face and on-line learning. Course content, graded assignments and class discourse are all designed to provide readily-usable systems and strategies for the everyday challenges of healthcare management and leadership.
Healthcare professionals who are interested in increasing their management and leadership credentials effectively, realistically and at the highest level of quality.
- Bachelor's degree with a 3.0 GPA
- Two letters of recommendation
- At least one year of progressive healthcare experience
The courses consist of five face-to-face sessions with the rest of the sessions delivered on-line. The four courses comprise the total 12 credit Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management.
The courses in this series are graduate courses, which can be applied to this graduate certificate or Masters-level programs and can be applied as "post Masters" credits. The completion of the certificate can be applied as the concentration in several graduate degrees offered by Stevens.
The cost for each course may be eligible for tuition reimbursement at all major medical and healthcare organizations. Please review your organization's educational assistance policy to determine your eligibility and approval process.
MGT 616 Healthcare Management & Leadership
Provides practical strategies in healthcare management that are field-proven, practically applicable and academically sound. Topics include:
MGT 610 Strategic Perspectives on Project Management
- Strategic Communication, Planning and Leadership
- Negotiation and conflict resolution techniques
- Criterion-based selection and performance evaluation
Compares and contrasts project management frameworks and strategies to achieve business goals. Topics include:
MGT 612 The Human Side of Project Leadership
- Operational vs. strategic project mindset
- Innovative concepts and techniques supporting project strategies are illustrated through cases and simulations
- Assumptions and constraints of the business context
Stresses experiential skill development in building relationships and interpersonal influence to successfully lead and manage projects. Critical factors correlated with project success are covered. Topics include:
- Motivating others
- Organizing and leading project teams
- Communication and conflict management
MGT 614 Advanced Project Management
The strategic project manager's mindset is reinforced. Topics include:
MIS 689 IT Management for the Healthcare Professional
- Aligning corporate strategies into a project strategy
- Comparing real-life projects with best practice
- Achieving corporate strategic intent through projects
Comprehensive overview course on the effective application of information technologies in healthcare
COMM 545 Writing for Health Care Professionals
- Selecting and implementing healthcare information systems
- Improving outcomes with evidence-based decision support
- Leveraging eHealth applications and IT service providers
Review and reinforcement of essential concepts for writing in pharmaceutical houses, medical advertising agencies, and other medical settings.
- Review of medical terminology, appropriate AMA style, and form and format in professional research
- Preparation of meeting and conference materials for professionals in the field
- Writing for case studies, clinical trials, and journal submissions